What can the GOP do to ensure victory?

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
I sat through the VP debates much as I did through the Presidential debate saying to myself "why didn't he say this and why didn't he point out that etc. etc." While I thought Cheney did quite well ( I especially liked when he didn't feel the need to use every nanosecond of his time and simply quit speaking when he felt he had made his point) however again I felt as many chances were missed.
Bush and Cheney appear to have prepared to debate issues with someone who knew something about the realities of the large picture and ended up appearing frustrated that it's been dominated by talking points and minutia.
IMHO they are missing the opportunity to portray thier opponents as people who are avoiding the big picture and confront the myriads of promises that the Dems simply can't afford or deliver.
As Emeril would say, they need to "kick it up a notch" and act like the superior people that they are and point out the ignorance of micro-managing everything. The GOP continues to fail at hammering home the fact that it is A GLOBAL WAR on terror and that appeasing the Dems by capturing bin Laden would only be a blip on the screen of what we are really up against.
As good ole Dad would say, they need to tell the Dems "how the cow ate the cabbage" and inform them what the world situation is REALLY like. The line from Saturday Night Live News by Dan Akroyd might suffice too.
" Jane (read John)--you ignorant slut "

My fantasy GOP would do this:

1. Stop defending the mistaken war in Iraq and pull out.
2. Put the troops on the Mexican border.
3. Steal the idea to tax job-outsourcing from the Dems (the ONE domestic issue they get right)

Incidentally, my fantasy GOP would TROUNCE Kerry/Edwards. Of course, my fantasy GOP is just that: a fantasy.

dilloduck said:
I sat through the VP debates much as I did through the Presidential debate saying to myself "why didn't he say this and why didn't he point out that etc. etc." While I thought Cheney did quite well ( I especially liked when he didn't feel the need to use every nanosecond of his time and simply quit speaking when he felt he had made his point) however again I felt as many chances were missed.

Conservatives could assure victory in any election if a requirement were adopted demanding that potential voters be able to accurately identify and spell the names of the presidential and vice-presidential candidates from both parties.

Merlin1047 said:
Conservatives could assure victory in any election if a requirement were adopted demanding that potential voters be able to accurately identify and spell the names of the presidential and vice-presidential candidates from both parties.

Well that would be a good start, additionally I have always felt that Republicans in their zeal to stay above reproach often do not get down and dirty in the trenches like the Dems do. That's not to say they should resort to lying or race baiting, but they should be putting Democrats and their causes on the Defensive, and this needs to be done relentlessly and consistently on every level.

Bonnie said:
Well that would be a good start, additionally I have always felt that Republicans in their zeal to stay above reproach often do not get down and dirty in the trenches like the Dems do. That's not to say they should resort to lying or race baiting, but they should be putting Democrats and their causes on the Defensive, and this needs to be done relentlessly and consistently on every level.

Agreed ! more attack dogs to spread the truths that Bush and Cheney can't really speak out about because they are still in office and can't afford to offend countries that they may still have to deal with after they are re-elected :beer:

dilloduck said:
Agreed ! more attack dogs to spread the truths that Bush and Cheney can't really speak out about because they are still in office and can't afford to offend countries that they may still have to deal with after they are re-elected :beer:

I see an opportunity for the Republican party in that one of the Democrats strongest tent poles was their uninimity as a party ideoligy wise, and you knew what the catch phrase of the day or week was going to be because you heard it echoed form every Dem spinner that could get their face in front of a camera or mic, remember Gravitas? The fact the Dems are starting to split in that area, is proving to be kerry's biggest thorn. If the Republicans can now continue to do what they are doing which is uniting moderates and consevatives, and go on the offensive we may make some very good things happen, and even get some good legislation passed. Im hopefull !

When the Republicans broke their "Contract with America" they blew a very big opportunity to have their ideas take root.

I voted for Bush in 2000 because I thought he was a man of integrity and courage and I have not been dissappointed. I was elated by his decision to attack terrorists in thier own havens including Iraq. I saw his diplomatic efforts undermined by those who were profitting by breaking the UN sanctions and his courage to gather the allies he could and attack a regime that hated the US, starved and denied medicine to his own people, killed and tortured Iraqis who did not submit to his tryanny, shot at airplanes who were legally guarding the no-fly zone and using his ill-gotten wealth to acquire more weapons.
Bush was not so narrow minded as to think that killing bin laden would be the end to the war on terror and opened up another front to deny the enemy safe haven and financial support and his broad vision in fighting this war has left his opponents desperately trying to find factual and substantial mistakes he has made. He is a true American leader and has not let Americas' security be held hostage to questionable world opinion
He is fighting the war in Iraq with tact AND military might in order to give Iraqis' the honor of creating thier OWN democracy which is a far better idea than to have some coalition hand it to them on a platter.
Hopefully tonight President Bush shows this same courage by taking the necessary risks to show the American people the wisdom of his leadership and the utter folly of his opponents plans or lack thereof. Get pissed George--give em hell. Your courage will be rewarded! Some people just don't deserve the respect you are trying to offer them!

I think the GOP needs to continue doing as they are doing. I think one major thing the President can do is give a good preformance at the debates tonight. I think Kerry will be cocky after last weeks preformance so this is the perfect opportunity to shine. especially since there will be alot of interesting questions from the audience.

especially since there will be alot of interesting questions from the audience.
I have a question, how does this Town Hall debate work? Who are the people asking the questions? And are the questions known ahead of time by anyone?
Okay, one question ended up being 3, LOL, but this is my first year watching the debates and I don't know how any of this works.

I think the GOP needs to continue doing as they are doing. I think one major thing the President can do is give a good preformance at the debates tonight. I think Kerry will be cocky after last weeks preformance so this is the perfect opportunity to shine. especially since there will be alot of interesting questions from the audience.

Agreed yet Kerry has a way of not answering questions and speak to his own issues. Apparently providing an answer to a direct question is not considered important when the debate is analyzed by a gazillion people. In my mind it should be rated with a greater priority than something as insignificant as posture! People are trying to get informed about certain issues. That's why the questions are asked in the first place. NOT to see who can dodge it the best.

Forum List

Back