CDZ What can my boss make me do?

Keith Olbermann on Twitter

How many people were inconvenienced by traveling to Indianapolis for 10 minutes? And half of that $250,000 was probably just for parking Air Force 2 near the stadium. How much easier would it have been to stay home and protest the game in front of his television?

How many people are inconvenienced when they are messing around on the phone, eating, putting on makeup and get in a car crash?

Or better yet, what can I legally make my underlings do while at work?

Can I make you point to Mecca every afternoon?

Can I make them stand at attention when I walk by?

Can I make them address me as "your highness" or "exalted one"?

Can I require they genuflect every time they cross my POW/MIA banner?

Can I make them have moments of silence for each aborted fetus from today?

Can I make them draw pictures of each type of weapon used in a mass killing this decade?

Can I have them stand there for two minutes while I preach about how great the country is?

Can I hire a great singer to come sing my philosophy to them every morning and require each employee to take a submissive position?

Jerry Jones gives Cowboys players ultimatum: Stand for anthem or sit for game
Jones has the right idea on this.

You boss can't make you do anything...you are free to quit on a moments notice

But if you are willing to put up with anything for the money, the sky is the limit

This is great a great thing Jerry Jones is pushing with this anthem pride thing. People are realizing I can make it a condition of employment folks listen to NPR all day, have to prostrate themselves to Mecca, and we can only imagine what else.

Go America?

What can your boss make you do? Well nothing!

The question should be what are you willing to do for money?

Or better yet, what can I legally make my underlings do while at work?

Can I make you point to Mecca every afternoon?

Can I make them stand at attention when I walk by?

Can I make them address me as "your highness" or "exalted one"?

Can I require they genuflect every time they cross my POW/MIA banner?

Can I make them have moments of silence for each aborted fetus from today?

Can I make them draw pictures of each type of weapon used in a mass killing this decade?

Can I have them stand there for two minutes while I preach about how great the country is?

Can I hire a great singer to come sing my philosophy to them every morning and require each employee to take a submissive position?

Jerry Jones gives Cowboys players ultimatum: Stand for anthem or sit for game

Nothing. This is a free country and you are not a slave. If the boss tells you to do anything you don't want to do, you can simply quit.

As to the First Amendment....it does not apply at your place of work. It is only a restraint on the government.

Read that article yesterday.

He does point out it's pretty much covered in the Handbook

Well that makes me want to go change our new hire pamphlet.

In a way this is a terrible way of looking at things. For me there is a bit of a silver lining though.

Then look at the way it's actually happening in the NFL. NFL produces entertainment. THey have a corporate formula for putting on their events at each franchise on game day. Boss can control, produce and orchestrate what happens at each performance. Just asking you not to PROTEST and change the tone and feeling of the production. Not TELLING you to believe in America and it's people. Just wants the script executed and performed a certain way and to focus on your job.

YOU --- changing your corporate handbook to require folks to toss darts at a pic of Trump as they clock in -- is PROBABLY perfectly legal. But if someone decides to pull his own dart board and it has Schumer on it, you're gonna have to fire the person and make the case that this exercise had VALUE to your company to use the Trump dart board.

I think when employers just get nasty for the sake of PERSONAL biases and peeves, it could always be challenged if it has no RELATED VALUE to the work product.

If you put it in their job description

Really? I can hire people and indoctrinate them with whatever views I have?

This is a dangerous slope.

............Help me think through this......

I suppose if I run a reforestation company there will be tons of information sitting about stating trees are great and people need to expect to be exposed to it.

So essentially if Jerry Jones wants to run a political action committee which also plays football he can put it in their contracts I suppose.

Yes, you can do all of this, but they can quit.

Forum List

Back