What came first.....

What religions came first?

Do the christinas predate muslims?
Do the jews predate christians?
Do the pagans predate everything?

The way i see it.... the koran talks about chirstians and jesus... so christians were here before the koran..

The bible talks about the jews...but not muslims....so jews must have been around when the bible was written...

Neither christians or muslims are talked about in the torah... so jews must have come before them...

Pagans dont have a book.... but were here long before the christians...

you have the order right.

but the torah IS the bible...

:razz:

The way i see it.... the koran talks about chirstians and jesus... so christians were here before the koran..

The bible talks about the jews...but not muslims....so jews must have been around when the bible was written...

Neither christians or muslims are talked about in the torah... so jews must have come before them...

Some Pagans do have books.

Everyone always asks 'what came first, the chicken or the egg'?

I always figured it was the Rooster.

something along the lines of a tadpole came first.

The first thing that mixed it up with the luck that resulted in us was
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYiahoYfPGk]Time - Pink Floyd + Lyrics - YouTube[/ame]
Still pretty influential on our existence if you ask me.

Judaism may predate Zoroastrianism, or it may not. Both are old in the scope of written history and I don't know if that debate will ever be definitively answered.

However, if one wants to look at archeological record, one can go back further. Gobekli Tepe predates written history, and while the entire site will probably take at least another 50 years to uncover, it is clearly a site of religious significance, and is bringing entirely new questions to bear on a hunter-gatherer period that seemed unlikely or impossible to produce such a complex.

Pretty fascinating stuff, really.

What about Nativism.

You know, the religion where people believed that there different spirits that governed the lives of plants, weather, animals and pretty much everything seen in nature.

I am pretty sure some form of nativism was actually first.

Yes, the Bible starts off with a time line in Genesis.

Genesis 1:26 "And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth."

This took place on the 6th day.

So people had already been created to inhabit and have dominion over the earth.

It was after this the Adam and Eve story is told about in Genesis. :cool:
I agree...I stated previously that the Bible is an accurate document on earth's history.

However, what I'm referring to specifically is that time of in the Garden. We don't know how long they were in the Garden, before they left. That's the timeline I'm referring to. Adam and Even could have been in the garden for 1 year, 10 years, a thousand years or a million years before they sinned, as their time on earth would only begin once sin entered the picture, at that point they could start counting years, as before sin, they were pretty much eternal beings.

And all this is true for those who have chosen to believe it.
That does not make it true for others.
There is no objective way to prove it true.
Believers exercise choice.
Choice is equal.
Enforcing faith is inhuman.

What does that have to do with the topic? I mean, if you want to have a discussion on the implementation(or lack thereof) of religion on a free society, we can do that. but I think we are talking time lines of religions.

Personally, I believe that in a free society, religion and religious doctrine....other than the obvious.....murderer, theft, and other liberty robbing crimes....should not be a part of our society's laws. That way, if one CHOOSES to abide by a particular religion's doctrine...they are free to do so(as long as it doesn't interfere with another's liberties....such as stoning your wife for infidelity, for example), and those that don't subscribe to that, or any religion at all for that matter, do do as they please.

well....so much for discussing the enforcing of faith in a different topic. :lol:

What about Nativism.

You know, the religion where people believed that there different spirits that governed the lives of plants, weather, animals and pretty much everything seen in nature.

I am pretty sure some form of nativism was actually first.

I thought that concept was called animism. Whether it was first or not is open to question since there's no evidence either way. I'd say though that animism would predate Judaism by quite a bit.

Matriarchal/earth-based societies existed before patriarchal/property based laws.
Hinduism came before Buddhism which liberated people from caste like thinking.
Jewish came before Christianity which liberated people from enslavement by the law.
Muslim incorporates Jewish and Christian and adds Muhammad/Quran.
The Bahai came out of that and liberates people from racial and tribal division.

From the Catholics, the Lutherans broke from dependence on Catholic authority
and started the Protestant movement of direct relations and salvation through Christ.

With government, the natural laws and rights of man were made statutory
in the formation of Constitutional laws and govt based on religious freedom etc.

We are going through the same patterns now as the church reformation, where
state authority corrupted by monied influence and greed for control
has caused people to rebel and go back to enforcing the laws directly
under the Constitution to check abuses of govt and authority that otherwise violate laws.

So the same way Christianity teaches the people are the church body, and must embrace the laws to establish ideal society based on perfect love; in secular laws the government is of the people,
and we must accept responsibility for the laws by conscience to realize the ideals of democracy based on perfect justice.

All tribes, whether Buddhist or Muslim, etc. are heading toward mature
states where we cannot depend on leaders to control and interpret laws for us,
but we must learn to govern ourselves by the same spirit of Truth and Justice
that God and Jesus represent to the Christians.So in this sense, the same
God and Jesus in the Bible that fulfill those laws also fulfill the other diverse paths
that all nations and tribes are on for all humanity. The same process, as symbolized in the Bible,
of achieving peace and justice applies to all of us, no matter what affiliation or law we use.

Last edited:

undoubtedly the Astrological's.

The oldest artifacts and artwork found indicate earth-based beliefs:

The cycles of birth and death depicted in either mondala's (symbolizing the earth as womb of creation), female goddess figures, or hunting pictures where tribes prayed for favor, etc.

In my art history class, it was most ironic and amusing to see images of the rain or sky god in all cultures EXCEPT for Egypt, where the irrigation and thus fertilization was seen as coming up from the ground, not raining down from the sky. In that culture, the "sky goddess" was depicted as hovering on all fours over the man who had an erection and was fertilizing her from below; so we joked this is where the 'woman on top' position originated - in Egypt. ;-)

What has spurred all the trends in religions and political changes in society has been the control over knowledge and laws, usually projected onto class or tribe. the point of the human learning curve is to reach equality, spiritual peace by resolving all our issues, and sharing in equal partnership.

So we are at a very interesting and most fruitful part of that process, now that we have schools and churches and nations organized worldwide by affiliation, and we can network over the internet to share ideas and to resolve conflicts and problems together. We have the ability to document all the historical religions, tribes and political cultures that ever existed, and to interchange knowledge to glean the best concepts from all of these.

If we use our resources wisely, we have the ability today to make the most of the diversity of wealth and culture, and reap the fruits of the harvest for everyone to share and benefit.

Unfortunately we still have wars waging on from repeated grievances and injustice from the past, cycles of abuse still working their way out like a storm that must pass. As we learn to break the cycle of abuse and oppression with forgiveness and correction, so we can work together to prevent ills in the future, we will see more good fruit come forth and less and less of the ill effects that are consequences of bad seeds from the past. Eventually the good seeds will bloom and weed out the bad weeds. So right now the garden is a mix of both!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back