What burns hotter,

there is fuel out there that wouldn't lgnite if you threw a match in it.

JP-7 fuel wouldn't ignite if you threw matches in it

Jet Fuel.

The reason TWA800 could not possibly have been brought down by a non-existent spark in an empty and vented center fuel tank is because you could stick a match in the fuel at ground level and the match will go out.

The fuel needs to be shot through fuel injectors to ignite and then it burns at (I'm not looking it up) but I think it was 2,000 degrees.

If you are talking about LIQUID fuel you are correct but since the tank was largely empty it was fule VAPOR that detonated.
he's got you on that one frank
a spark could certainly ignite jet fuel

A match burns a lot cooler than a spark, you can put a match out with regular automobile gasoline. Even the spark from a match isn't as hot as the spark of metal on metal or from a battery.

it appears to me, JBuek, that you seem to be moderately insecure with your own intelligence, and so start these quasi-scientific threads looking for someone to remotely contradict you so you can call them stupid to make yourself feel better...

in this digital era, it would be much easier just posting a video that throwing the tantrum you are.

Unknown at this point why there was ever a discussion of gasoline, since it's not used as jet fuel.

Depending on the formulation, it's either kerosene based or naphtha based. Its fumes WILL ignite, and it WILL burn hotter than coal, most especially if you have a fuselage full of nearly pure pressurized oxygen busting open, feeding it at or near ignition time.

Unknown at this point why there was ever a discussion of gasoline, since it's not used as jet fuel.

Depending on the formulation, it's either kerosene based or naphtha based. Its fumes WILL ignite, and it WILL burn hotter than coal, most especially if you have a fuselage full of nearly pure pressurized oxygen busting open, feeding it at or near ignition time.
um, the last time pure O2 was used in a "cabin" was when the 3 Apollo astronauts died

um, the last time pure O2 was used in a "cabin" was when the 3 Apollo astronauts died
This is why I said NEARLY pure. That's not accurate however, but it is quite a bit richer than what is generally in the atmosphere. In the tanks however it is pure. The oxygen feeds the fire in a crash much like it does a acetylene torch.

Edit to add: The masks that drop down at impact are spewing pure oxygen as well, when the feed tubing in the fuselage ruptures it can be quite nasty mixed with burning fuel.

Last edited:
This thread is too serious for me now.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUWoI6vApPk]YouTube - : Biggest Fear : Foamy The Squirrel[/ame]

This is why I said NEARLY pure. That's not accurate however, but it is quite a bit richer than what is generally in the atmosphere. In the tanks however it is pure. The oxygen feeds the fire in a crash much like it does a acetylene torch.

Edit to add: The masks that drop down at impact are spewing pure oxygen as well, when the feed tubing in the fuselage ruptures it can be quite nasty mixed with burning fuel.
ah, i forgot about those tanks

:redface: nevermind

Forum List

Back