What brought the Ottomans down

ekrem

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2005
It was Harem life.
Mustafa, the rightful owner of the throne, was strangled because of her
Roxelana - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

She then gave birth to Selim II, remembered as Selim the Drunkard.
There seems no apparent connection to him being a drinker and his mother being a Christian.
Selim II died whilst he drunkenly slipped over on the wet floor of an unfinished bath-house.
Selim II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mustafa, son of Muslim woman, was regarded as a warrior and had the support of the Soldiers. After he was murdered it came to unrest in the core provinces of Anatolia.
Sehzade Mustafa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Together with Selim the Drunkard also began the period of the woman's rule in the Empire.
Selim II's son, Murad III, also married a Christian and she was de-facto regent of the Empire.
Safiye Sultan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The son of Murad III and Safiye Sultan was Mehmed III.
Mehmed III completely ceded government affairs to his mother Safiye Sultan and married also a Christian, Handan Sultan.
Mehmed III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The son of Mehmed III and Handan Sultan was Ahmed I.
Ahmed I also married a Christian, Kösem Sultan
Kösem Sultan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Kösem Sultan was probably the most powerfull woman in Ottoman History.

Sultanate of Women
The Sultanate of Women was the near 130-year period during the 16th and 17th centuries when the women of the Imperial Harem of the Ottoman Empire exerted extraordinary political influence.
Many of the Sultans during this time were minors and it was their mothers, leaders of the Harem, who effectively ruled the Empire.
Many Sultanate women were born Christian and are among the most famous European and Greek Muslims.
The main cause of frequent marriages with foreign background women were rather for preserving the fidelity of non-Muslim provinces and preventing discrimination of minorities in the late Ottoman period.
Importance of this policy was better understood by the split of 39 provinces after the collapse of Ottoman Empire, which wasn't considered sole Turkish community.
Sultanate of Women - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Empire went down because of mainly Christian women, who gave birth to weak regents, who drank alcohole, ceded power to their mothers and their prime ambitions was in the Harem instead of governmental affairs. All within a time, where the Empire had the upper hand against Europe.

Discuss, if you have opposing views.

Wikipedia. How about that for saying something.

You do realize that i can go in and change everything it has to say. Post any drivel that i want to get out there.

Get some better sources dude.

ISBN-10: 3534200209
Page 136 (summarized)
During the Sultanate of Women the average rule of a Grand-Viziers (Ministers of Government) was less then 12 months. Discontinuity and chaotic state of things in governmental affairs was the result.

As a correction. It was not Catholic women, but Orthodox women.

You have got some SERIOUS issues regarding women. Find a shrink and work on that one.

Last edited:
Wikipedia. How about that for saying something.

You do realize that i can go in and change everything it has to say. Post any drivel that i want to get out there.

Get some better sources dude.

Harem Life?

How about genocide?

Until Turkey admits to genocide of the Armenians and committed during their famous "Empire", they are not even a consideration.

Turkish President Abdullah Gul made a speech at the CE Parliamentary Assembly, January 25.

Naira Zohrabyan, a member of the Armenian delegation to the CE Parliamentary Assembly, told Armenian News-NEWS.am that she asked the Turkish leader the following question: "Any state is strong as much as it is able to face its own past. Sooner or later turkey will admit the Armenian Genocide in the Ottoman Empire in 1915. Do you think it had better do it now?"

Armenian News-NEWS.am reminds readers that, responding to Naira Zohrabyan`s question, Turkish FM Ahmet Davutoglu openly admitted that the unsettled Nagorno-Karabakh conflict accounted for the failure of Armenian-Turkish reconciliation. He clearly stated that, in signing the protocols, Turkey was pursuing three goals, namely, reopening of border, historical reconciliation and settlement of the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.

genocide-marching-photo.jpg

Armenian Genocide During the Ottoman Empire by Peace Seeking Turkish Muslims.

armenian_genocide_by_pious_muslims_ottoman_turks_quran_9_29_dhimmi_jizyah.jpg

This genocide is rampant in the peaceful Muslims history. This is what took the Ottoman Empire down.

Their ferocity in ending an entire people's lives.

Harems? I think NOT ekrem!

You have go some SERIOUS issues regarding women. Find a shrink and work on that one.

I love women.
But, I draw a conclusion that women brought down the Empire, specifically in that period of time.

At the end of my 1st post, I asked for discussion if the reader has a differing view.
This is history and has nothing to do with having 'SERIOUS' issues with women in general.

I don't know that much about the Ottoman Empire but if you are blaming Christian women for the downfall of the empire how tough were they really? probably better that it burned to the ground.

Christian women are some real bad asses if they can bring down an empire, maybe Muslim men should take some notes from Christian women on how to fight.

You have go some SERIOUS issues regarding women. Find a shrink and work on that one.

I love women.
But, I draw a conclusion that women brought down the Empire, specifically in that period of time.

At the end of my 1st post, I asked for discussion if the reader has a differing view.
This is history and has nothing to do with having 'SERIOUS' issues with women in general.

You can love women and still have serious issues.

I draw the conclusion that you think men are pussy whipped and THAT is the downfall of everything.

I draw the conclusion based on your post that you have a very tilted view of history.

Woman giving birth to men. In that you are right, that was the downfall of the ottoman empire.

Woman giving up any power is the downfall of everything. :lol:

I draw the conclusion that you think men are pussy whipped and THAT is the downfall of everything.

I draw the conclusion based on your post that you have a very tilted view of history.

Woman giving birth to men. In that you are right, that was the downfall of the ottoman empire.

They didn't only gave birth to men.
They took control of the Empire for about 130 years, where the average rule of a Grand-Vizier was less then 12 months, and this period comes along with the Empire loosing its dominance in military affairs over the European Kingdoms.

They didn't only gave birth to men.
They took control of the Empire for about 130 years, where the average rule of a Grand-Vizier was less then 12 months, and this period comes along with the Empire loosing its dominance in military affairs over the European Kingdoms.

The Ottoman war mongering was its downfall.

LMAO! 130 years out of centuries was the downfall. Get a grip.

Ottoman Empire

The sultanate of women
(...)
For some 130 years, the women of the Ottoman royal harem enjoyed extraordinary political influence. This unusual period during the 16th and 17th centuries – when powerful women exercised all royal prerogatives but one: leading Ottoman armies into battle – is popularly known as the 'sultanate of women'.
(...)
Too bloody
It was in the 17th century that queen mothers exercised the greatest direct political influence, as regents to sultans who were either underage or mentally unstable. The first half of the century witnessed a succession of young or incompetent sultans, largely the result of a transition in the rules of succession.

In the past, the Ottomans believing that primogeniture was unfair to younger sons, princes had battled it out and the throne went to the victor. But after the age of conquest, which had required rulers proven in military strategy, the old way began to seem too bloody and the dynasty gradually adopted the rule of simply bringing the eldest male member of the royal family to the throne.

During the unsteady transition to this new system, the harem reached the highest point of its political influence, as regent mothers appointed grand viziers, wrote daily letters with instructions about war materiel, taxes and other matters of state, and continued to endow public institutions.
Channel 4 - History - The sultanate of women

I give props to the Germans for acknowleding the holocaust, and to white Americans who acknowledge this countries role in slavery. Turkey is pathetic for trying to pretend they didn't do anything to the Armenians. Turkey needs to grow some balls, fuckin apologize for what they did and move the fuck on.

The Ottomans must be really pathetic if their blaming women for their failures.

It's the Turkish governing character HG. Their government is unwilling to accept responsibility for their acts so they blame it on others.

The sultanate of women
(...)
For some 130 years, the women of the Ottoman royal harem enjoyed extraordinary political influence. This unusual period during the 16th and 17th centuries – when powerful women exercised all royal prerogatives but one: leading Ottoman armies into battle – is popularly known as the 'sultanate of women'.

You do seem to have a definate problem with women sharing power.

(...)
Too bloody
It was in the 17th century that queen mothers exercised the greatest direct political influence, as regents to sultans who were either underage or mentally unstable. The first half of the century witnessed a succession of young or incompetent sultans, largely the result of a transition in the rules of succession

In the past, the Ottomans believing that primogeniture was unfair to younger sons, princes had battled it out and the throne went to the victor. But after the age of conquest, which had required rulers proven in military strategy, the old way began to seem too bloody and the dynasty gradually adopted the rule of simply bringing the eldest male member of the royal family to the throne.

During the unsteady transition to this new system, the harem reached the highest point of its political influence, as regent mothers appointed grand viziers, wrote daily letters with instructions about war materiel, taxes and other matters of state, and continued to endow public institutions.
Channel 4 - History - The sultanate of women

I keep telling you, leave the mothers out of all of your adult decisions. Or is this more of your "follow and do what your mother says" cultural tradition that bit you on the ass?

The Ottomans must be really pathetic if their blaming women for their failures.

It's the Turkish governing character HG. Their government is unwilling to accept responsibility for their acts so they blame it on others.

Sounds just like the Arab Governments who refuse they had a hand in the slave trade, funny they can't explain the presence of black people in those countries. They all moved there for the weather and job ops I suppose.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back