What Book Are You Reading Now?

alias

Rookie
Dec 28, 2004
Some questions:
What book are you reading now?
Do you read for education or entertainment? Both? Mostly one or the other?
How many books do you read per month?
How do you decide what to read? Does your reading concentrate on a particular subject?
Do your friends read very much?

The new Tom Wolfe book, “I Am Charlotte Simmons.”
Both. Probably 80% entertainment and 20 percent educational. Mostly fiction.
An average of two books per month. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
I read website book reviews and a couple times per month I browse in a book store. Occasionally, a friend recommends a book.
I like historical novels (from all periods) and science books; especially astronomy.
My friends do not read very many books.

Crescent & Star (Turkey And Its Future)

Mostly Education, I need to be reminded to read for fun.

How do you decide what to read? What is interesting to me or appealing. Does your reading concentrate on a particular subject? Mostly int'l affairs, history and politics.

Do your friends read very much? Half do, half don't. If you count Maxim/FHM as reading, then yes, 99.9 of sailors I know read.

Some questions:

Cellar of Horror (Gary Heidnik story).

Reading is always entertaining.. If I pick up a bit of education while I'm going, ballyhoo for me. :D

As many as I have time for.. Do cookbooks count, too?

How do you decide what to read?

I'll read anything that catches my eye..

Does your reading concentrate on a particular subject?

Not necessarily..

Most of them do..

Michael Crichton - State of Fear
Mostly non-fiction educational stuff, but reading a novel now.
number of books per month? varies, 0 to 5.
no concentration on a category.
my friends read quite a bit.

I just started reading Ann Coulter's book-How To Talk To A Liberal(If You Must). Got it for Christmas

I read to educate myself and for entertainment. Usually,I read political books. Only about 1 a month because I don't have quiet time enough to do more than that.

Some questions:
Shambhala
(The Sacred Path of the Warrior) by Chogyam Trungpa

Both, but mostly entertainment. I read 1 to 2 books a month that are for education.

About 5 to 7.

How do you decide what to read? Does your reading concentrate on a particular subject?
Whatever interests me at the moment that I am at the book store...

No, not many of my friends read very much.

What book are you reading now? Madison, A Biography by Ketcham.

Do you read for education or entertainment? Both? Mostly one or the other? Education.
How many books do you read per month? Depending on the size, 2-4.

How do you decide what to read? Does your reading concentrate on a particular subject? I am reading through the biographies of all the Presidents right now, with every other book. The other books vary on topic. I just finished "The Creature from Jekyll Island" about the Federal Reserve, and I'm looking to get a systematic theology series.

Not as much as me! :D

Several

Shadow War by Richard Miniter
The Apocalypse Explained by H.M. Feeret, O.P.
The Sensate Culture by Harold O. J. Brown
By Design Science and the Search for God by Larry Witham

1. Journalistic Fraud, by Bob Kohn

2. Mostly education

3. Probably 6 to 8

4. I read mostly non-fiction. I like political books, religious books, historical books, health books, financial books, etc. But occasionally I will read fiction. I loved the book The Horse Whisperer, but didn't think too much of the best-seller The DaVinci Code--too far-fetched to suit my tastes. I can't believe how many people take the thesis of that book seriously.

5. My friends read some, but not nearly to the extent that I do. I find reading a wonderful way to spend spare time. My mother introduced me and my siblings to reading early in life. Although my siblings and I no longer live in the same community, when we do get together, at some point in the conversation we discuss what we are currently reading, so Mom's influence has been long-lasting. In my adult life, I have often joined neighborhood/
community book clubs and that stimulated my love of reading as well.

"Battle of La Marne", Pierre Miquel

both.
it depend. Now, an educational book : history. I think, after i will read "le vicomte de Bragelonne", entertainment.
And there are also a lot of books for university, like books about the international relations, the penal laws, about the Constitution, the french juridictions.....

here again, it depend :
the history or laws studies books are often more difficult than entertainment books.
And if it is a series, like the Lord of the Rings, it can be read in one week.

But i think, about 6/7 per month.

For entertainment books, if I see a book which looks likie to be good, or if somedbody tell me about a good novel, I will read it.
For the history book : it depend on my interest, at this moment. So, here, it is concentrate on a particular subject.

for the most part yes. But here agin, not all. and not the same kind of books.

I like historical books, all period, and fantastic (all kind of) : Tolkien, Dune, dracula.......

Youth in Revolt by CD Payne

Both pretty evenly, I think that anything one reads educates them in some way. But, yeah, I try to read some philosophy and stuff like that as often as I read fun stuff.

Between one and two.

I generally rely on recommendations, or stuff like "if you like this author, you'll like this one".

No, not at all really. I guess I'm the nerd of my social group.

html, xhtml, and css

mostly educational, dont have alot of time to look for other books i like

not as many as id like

anything in the web design field.

what friends

I read the whole series. I don't believe in a pre-trib rapture, but I did appreciate the series.

Yeah, I've heard that criticism before but it's still an interesting page-turner. Some scary fo-shizzle!

It only took me 2 days to read it and I'm starting on the next one tonight. I'm wondering how it's going to end...I mean, it's kind of like Titanic. We KNOW how it ends, but how will they portray it....(that was rhetorical--don't give it away!!!) :halo:

clumzgirl said:
Yeah, I've heard that criticism before but it's still an interesting page-turner. Some scary fo-shizzle!

It only took me 2 days to read it and I'm starting on the next one tonight. I'm wondering how it's going to end...I mean, it's kind of like Titanic. We KNOW how it ends, but how will they portray it....(that was rhetorical--don't give it away!!!) :halo:

I read this entire series from the perspective of a person who would be one of those Left Behind. If the Rapture came I would understand what had happened and immediately become one of those guys. (Raised in a Pentecostal household, am a Buddhist).

They were all good but the last book was anti-climactic.

no1tovote4 said:
I read this entire series from the perspective of a person who would be one of those Left Behind. If the Rapture came I would understand what had happened and immediately become one of those guys. (Raised in a Pentecostal household, am a Buddhist).

They were all good but the last book was anti-climactic.

Agreed. I think the last book was a bit of a stretch, but still an interesting end. Although I read it from the perspective of someone who wouldn't be there! :D

Just started Incubus Dreams by Laurell K. Hamilton

It's about vampires etc....if you like dark suspense and the unhuman....

Flyboys by James Bradley (father helped raise the flag over Mt Suribachi)

Very good book (and disturbing) abouth the young men who flew missions over Chichi Jima in WWII and the plight of those that were shot down.

I was not aware of the atrocities committed, that are chronicled in the book (on our side, and the Japanese). One of the most disturbing accounts of the treatment of POW's you will ever read.

pretender said:
Just started Incubus Dreams by Laurell K. Hamilton

It's about vampires etc....if you like dark suspense and the unhuman....

Sounds like a book Id be interested in reading

Forum List

Back