What beliefs define a 21st Century American conservative?

Wry Catcher

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
What do they believe in and why are they so quick to attack other self described conservatives as RINO's?

Postscript: Upon reflection this thread limits conservative to the Republican Party; I know many self defined conservatives see themselves as Independents or Libertarian, so let the question be: What do 21st Century conservaitves believe (and skip the snarky second phrase).

Last edited:
I got mine, screw yours.

wow, isn't that what people died for trying to get to this country?
I think the American people right and left are pretty damn generous..

but some of you just can't get ENOUGH from them..it's gimme gimme gimme MORE of your LIFES BLOOD..you are SUPPOSE TO TAKE CARE of me me me...us us us.

There will be no consistent set of beliefs that are "conservative" for the whole of the 21st century anymore than there was for the 20th or the 19th.

There will be no consistent set of beliefs that are "conservative" for the whole of the 21st century anymore than there was for the 20th or the 19th.

I don't expect consistency, I'm really wondering what those individuals who define themselves as conservative believe.

Conservatives want to maintain (conserve) the status quo, in as much as it means maintaining the benefits they receive under the current status quo.

The fear is that they might lose some or all of the power and/or wealthy that they've compiled, of which they feel deserving. They insist the status quo is not to blame nor the cause of any social ill, for if it were to change, so would their circumstances.

Others, who aren't part of the percentage that is reaping benefits with the current status quo want change that will give them some of the benefits formerly reserved for the elite, reserved for those in control.

Conservatives want to maintain (conserve) the status quo, in as much as it means maintaining the benefits they receive under the current status quo.

The fear is that they might lose some or all of the power and/or wealthy that they've compiled, of which they feel deserving. They insist the status quo is not to blame nor the cause of any social ill, for if it were to change, so would their circumstances.

Others, who aren't part of the percentage that is reaping benefits with the current status quo want change that will give them some of the benefits formerly reserved for the elite, reserved for those in control.

:eek:

Following the constitution.

Yet what does that mean exactly? When many decisions by (supposedly) learned jurists are decided 5-4. How does one "follow the Constitution"?

“The originalism looks to the original public-meaning of the Constitution and its amendments at the time they were enacted. The meaning of the Constitution must remain the same, until it is properly changed. And it cannot be changed unilaterally by the courts, or even by courts acting in conjunction with other branches of government.” Professor Randy Barnett, in “Originalism,” p. 262.

Conservatives believe that custom and tradition result in individuals living in peace. Law is custom and precedent. Liberals are destroyers of custom and convention. To a conservative, change should be gradual, as the new society is often inferior to the old. We build on the ideas and experience of our ancestors. The species is wiser than the individual (Burke).

Liberals are impulsive, and imprudent. They believe in quick changes, and risk new abuses worse than the ‘evils’ that they would sweep away, since remedies are usually not simple. Plato said that prudence is the mark of the statesman. There should be a balance between permanence and change, while liberals see ‘progress’ as some mythical direction for society.

Forum List

Back