What Arizona proposes about Universal Health Care.

Navy1960

Sep 4, 2008
Arizona
By now we have all argued Universal Health Care till we are blue in the face. I don't see many minds changed, but I thought you all would like to see here in Arizona a Ballot proposal that is in place to block Universal Health Care.

Proposition 101, known by its supporters as Medical Choice for Arizona or the Freedom to Choose Act will be on the November 4, 2008 ballot in Arizona as a citizen-initiated constitutional amendment.
The supporters say their goal is to "prevent socialized medicine or further heavy regulation of medical care and health insurance" in the state. Titled "Arizona - Freedom of Choice in Health Care Act" and advanced by Medical Choice for Arizona, the measure aims to prevent "many of the abuses associated with socialized medicine and restricting its form to either residual welfare or a voucher system

Prohibits laws that: restrict person's choice of private health care systems or private plans; interfere with person's or entity's right to pay directly for lawful medical services; impose a penalty or fine for choosing to obtain or decline health care coverage or for participatin in any health care system or plan.

A "yes" vote shall have the effect of prohibiting laws that restrict a person's choice of private health care systems or private plans, interfere with a person or an entity's right to pay for lawful medical services, and impose a penalty or fine for choosing to obtain or decline health care coverage or for participation in any health care system or plan. Yes.

A "no" vote shall have the effect of retaining the current law regarding a person or entity's health care choices. No."

I have a feeling in several states you will see a divide begin to form if Barack Obama prevails on several issues where states will start taking paths like this.

Arizona Proposition 101 (2008 - Ballotpedia)

By now we have all argued Universal Health Care till we are blue in the face. I don't see many minds changed, but I thought you all would like to see here in Arizona a Ballot proposal that is in place to block Universal Health Care.

Proposition 101, known by its supporters as Medical Choice for Arizona or the Freedom to Choose Act will be on the November 4, 2008 ballot in Arizona as a citizen-initiated constitutional amendment.
The supporters say their goal is to "prevent socialized medicine or further heavy regulation of medical care and health insurance" in the state. Titled "Arizona - Freedom of Choice in Health Care Act" and advanced by Medical Choice for Arizona, the measure aims to prevent "many of the abuses associated with socialized medicine and restricting its form to either residual welfare or a voucher system

Prohibits laws that: restrict person's choice of private health care systems or private plans; interfere with person's or entity's right to pay directly for lawful medical services; impose a penalty or fine for choosing to obtain or decline health care coverage or for participatin in any health care system or plan.

A "yes" vote shall have the effect of prohibiting laws that restrict a person's choice of private health care systems or private plans, interfere with a person or an entity's right to pay for lawful medical services, and impose a penalty or fine for choosing to obtain or decline health care coverage or for participation in any health care system or plan. Yes.

A "no" vote shall have the effect of retaining the current law regarding a person or entity's health care choices. No."

I have a feeling in several states you will see a divide begin to form if Barack Obama prevails on several issues where states will start taking paths like this.

Arizona Proposition 101 (2008 - Ballotpedia)

Who's proposing it?

the measure aims to prevent "many of the abuses associated with socialized medicine and restricting its form to either residual welfare or a voucher system

So, it would get rid of Medicare for seniors, and Tricare for military veterans and military retirees.

Two of the biggest and most popular government healthcare programs.

Wow. That's pretty huge.

We definitely need to cut out healthcare for veterans and seniors.

Healthcare should be only for the rich!

So, it would get rid of Medicare for seniors, and Tricare for military veterans and military retirees.

Two of the biggest and most popular government healthcare programs.

Wow. That's pretty huge.

I was going to say that it would have no effect on existing healthcare programs at all and that includes Tri-Care and Medicare. What it does do is simply say that people in Arizona will have a choice in who their healthcare insurer is. whoever that may be.

I was going to say that it would have no effect on existing healthcare programs at all and that includes Tri-Care and Medicare. What it does do is simply say that people in Arizona will have a choice in who their healthcare insurer is. whoever that may be.

That's not what your article says. It says it would limit "socialized" medicine to low income hardship cases (i.e., medicaid), or convert it to vouchers (i.e, here's some money, now go try to find some healthcare insurance on the free market).

That means Tricare and Medicare are out according to that language.

Good luck!

I am from Phoenix, and I have to say that I support true Universal Health care. I do think Obama's plan leaves the private insurance companies at the table. I think Michael Moore spoke eloquently about the issue in SiCKO. The part that really caught my attention is how the HMO's began with Edgar Kaiser's Permanente. That is one of the most disgusting things that Richard Nixon has done! I think there is a lot of fear-mongering going around by the interest groups. Doctors might take a little pay cut, but isn't it, OK to be a little less wealthy, if it means improving the current state of the US health care system. Profiting from people's death is very ghoulish!:eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
That's not what your article says. It says it would limit "socialized" medicine to low income hardship cases (i.e., medicaid), or convert it to vouchers (i.e, here's some money, now go try to find some healthcare insurance on the free market).

That means Tricare and Medicare are out according to that language.

Good luck!

AN INITIATIVE MEASURE

PROPOSING AN AMENDMENT TO THE CONSTITUTION OF ARIZONA; AMENDING ARTICLE II OF THE ARIZONA CONSTITUTION BY ADDING SECTION 36 OF ARTICLE II; RELATING TO FREEDOM OF CHOICE IN HEALTH CARE.

Be it enacted by the People of Arizona:

1. Article II, Section 36: Constitution of Arizona is proposed to be added as follows if approved by the voters and on proclamation of the Governor:

ARTICLE II, SECTION 36. BECAUSE ALL PEOPLE SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO MAKE DECISIONS ABOUT THEIR HEALTH CARE, NO LAW SHALL BE PASSED THAT RESTRICTS A PERSON’S FREEDOM OF CHOICE OF PRIVATE HEALTH CARE SYSTEMS OR PRIVATE PLANS OF ANY TYPE. NO LAW SHALL INTERFERE WITH A PERSON’S OR ENTITY’S RIGHT TO PAY DIRECTLY FOR LAWFUL MEDICAL SERVICES, NOR SHALL ANY LAW IMPOSE A PENALTY OR FINE, OF ANY TYPE, FOR CHOOSING TO OBTAIN OR DECLINE HEALTH CARE COVERAGE OR FOR PARTICIPATION IN ANY PARTICULAR HEALTH CARE SYSTEM OR PLAN.

2. The Secretary of State shall submit this proposition to the voters at the next general election as provided by Article XXI, of the Constitution of Arizona.

Download our PDF version here

Thats the ballot measure Red, as I said there is nothing in there that would stop a person that is getting health benefits from continuing to do so.

Last I checked , being ON Tricare since 1995, one is free to pick any doctor or hospital they want. The only problem being that some doctors do not accept Tricare.

Being on Medicare since 2002 it is the EXACT same story. I am free to chose any doctor, clinic, hospital , I want.

There are several levels to Tricare. If you want to pay extra and live near a military medical system you can use their facilities as they are available at no cost per visit. And if the Hospital has room you can use it at just the cost of meals per day.

Under that level though you have to use the Military unless you get a form stating the Military medical system can not provide the service. A matter of simply going in and filling out a form.

I pay a fee from my Social Security Disability payment every month for Medicare plan B.

oh diuretic.....usually proposition proposals need a certain number of citizens to sign a petition for it to be put on the ballot.... obviously they got enough sigs and the secretary of state is forced, by law, to put it on the ballot...

Who proposed the proposition is a good question....a Medical Lobby probably, private insurance companies not wanting a universal plan or something like the such....

I see your point in wanting to find out and it will tell us WHAT REALLY is going on here...

I mean, think about it...some lowly citizen would not have brought up this kind of measure...it is someone with MONEY to lose that proposed it...

Care

Last I checked , being ON Tricare since 1995, one is free to pick any doctor or hospital they want. The only problem being that some doctors do not accept Tricare.

Being on Medicare since 2002 it is the EXACT same story. I am free to chose any doctor, clinic, hospital , I want.

There are several levels to Tricare. If you want to pay extra and live near a military medical system you can use their facilities as they are available at no cost per visit. And if the Hospital has room you can use it at just the cost of meals per day.

Under that level though you have to use the Military unless you get a form stating the Military medical system can not provide the service. A matter of simply going in and filling out a form.

I pay a fee from my Social Security Disability payment every month for Medicare plan B.

You belong to a political party, who's extreme right wing would love to get rid of Tricare and Medicare. Those are two huge government healthcare programs.

These people are smart. There's no way they made a mistake in writing that ballot language. It can easily be interpreted to mean that Arizona should covert Tricare and Medicare to vouchers. That's exactly how the plain written language reads. There is no other interpretation of that language I posted.

That doesn't mean Tricare and Medicare will be converted to vouchers. But, they obviously want the statutory language codified to make it possible for the rightwing to ultimately get rid of Tricare and Medicare. The rightwing has hated Medicare ever since it was adopted by LBJ.

Good luck using vouchers to purchase individual health insurance on the free market if you have any pre-existing conditions.

The sponsor of this measure is Medical Choice for Arizona. The group's chairman, Eric Novack, is a practicing orthopedic surgeon.[3]

Other supporters include Americans for Prosperity, Former U.S. Deputy Secretary of Agriculture John R. Norton, The Arizona Chiropractic Society, The Arizona Dental Association, [3] and the National Taxpayers Union.

These are the sponsors of the measure, but Care is right without having the proper number of signatures on it which in this case was 230,047, then it would not have made it onto the ballot. There was a challenge on some of them but they were found to be valid .

Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Mark Aceto ruled Aug. 14, 2008, that 22 signatures originally declared invalid on the petitions for Proposition 101 should be counted. Those 22 were from a random sample of 5 percent of all names checked by the Maricopa County Recorder's Office.

The measure though to answer your question is sponsored by two doctors.

"It protects the right to choose private health care if you desire," said Novack. "Number two, it protects your right to pay directly for any legal medical service without getting permission from a bureaucrat. Number three, it preserves your right to say you do not want to participate in any government sponsored healthcare scheme."

Prop 101 proponents say insurance companies, hospitals and pharmaceutical companies would stand to make millions and take away patients rights as health care reform moves forward in coming years.

They say Prop 101 would keep the decisions in the patient's hands.

"The cornerstone of future health care reform must be the preservation and protection of the rights of the people of Arizona to make their own health care decisions," said Novack.

Prop 101 opponents like Dr. Ronald Fischler say the health care industry would suffer if the amendment is approved.

"We think any time you amend the constitution, it's serious business, it's difficult to undo, it's permanent... We don't think this is the right way to go," said Fischler.

He says health care reform needs to happen, but without rigid restrictions.

"We think it's costly, it's potentially dangerous, ambiguously worded, and we're concerned it's gonna be tied up in the courts for some time," said Fischler.

Proposition 101 raises debate in medical field - Phoenix Arizona news, breaking news, local news, weather radar, traffic from ABC15 News | ABC15.com

The wording in prop 101 is pretty clear when it comes to choice. I have every right with Tricare to choose any doctor that accepts it , I see not one thing in prop 101 that is inconsistant with this or with Medicare for that matter. What it is attempting to do is to give people a healthcare freedom of choice right in arizona, and not ceed that to the federal govt. Let me give you an example why there is such an uproar over this, suppose an Obama Administration Mandates a business in Arizona cover it's employee's well under this law in Arizona that would be illegal in Arizona because it would violate the employee's freedom of choice as well as the employer's. The keyword here is "mandate"

The sponsor of this measure is Medical Choice for Arizona. The group's chairman, Eric Novack, is a practicing orthopedic surgeon.[3]

Other supporters include Americans for Prosperity, Former U.S. Deputy Secretary of Agriculture John R. Norton, The Arizona Chiropractic Society, The Arizona Dental Association, [3] and the National Taxpayers Union.

These are the sponsors of the measure, but Care is right without having the proper number of signatures on it which in this case was 230,047, then it would not have made it onto the ballot. There was a challenge on some of them but they were found to be valid .

Maricopa County Superior Court Judge Mark Aceto ruled Aug. 14, 2008, that 22 signatures originally declared invalid on the petitions for Proposition 101 should be counted. Those 22 were from a random sample of 5 percent of all names checked by the Maricopa County Recorder's Office.

The measure though to answer your question is sponsored by two doctors.
navy,

obama's plan is not a universal plan,

nor is mccain's

so there is nothing to be concerned with on your state's part....

seems to me, you should consider that it was put on the ballot to draw republicans to the voting booth...this is a COMMON tactic and is used quite a bit....like getting a proposition vote to ban gay marriage on the ballot....

it only stops your state from participating in a universal plan if the feds ever inacted one, BUT it does NOT stop the feds from creating one, NOR does it stop the feds from taking your citizens income tax monies to spend on it....

it's a lose, lose -proposition put there ONLY to rally voters enough to bring them to the polls imo.

i could be viewing this thru partisan colored glasses, but i don't think so?

care

Forum List

Back