what are your thoughts on Muhammad ail?

Ah the fact that he wouldn't go to Vietnam? Would that do it? He gave up his title. I would say 'good for him' regarding civil disobedience, but other than that? I can't think of anything.

Ah the fact that he wouldn't go to Vietnam? Would that do it? He gave up his title. I would say 'good for him' regarding civil disobedience, but other than that? I can't think of anything.

Ali supposedly has given to impoverished people and charities for years. Don't know about Powell.

Powell is famous for being Chairman, JCS during the First Gulf War.

Ali is famous as being arguably the best boxer that ever lived. He was certainly the best during his time, in a highly competitive environment.

He was not always thought of as such. He used to be considered a loudmouthed coward who wouldn't serve his country. He refused to be drafted into the Army, and was in fact given a prison sentence for it, but for some reason, never had to serve it. Most state's athletic commissions stripping his licenses to fight, and being stripped of the title by the boxing organizations were separate decisions.

While I do not agree with his decision, I respect the fact that he refused and took his punishment like a man. His was OBVIOUSLY a stand on principle since he was basically guaranteed an enlistment that consisted of being on the Army Boxing Team.

Kind of generalized, but that's how I recall it.

Forum List

Back