What Are Your Thoughts On Board Reputation Points?

I don't like it. I think it gives people two things: a way to reply in private, without replying on the public boards, and way to PM, without actually PMing.

If you have something to say, say it on the public boards.

I visit message boards to have discussions with people. I don't post to make friends and be popular.

I don't like it. I think it gives people two things: a way to reply in private, without replying on the public boards, and way to PM, without actually PMing.

If you have something to say, say it on the public boards.

I visit message boards to have discussions with people. I don't post to make friends and be popular.

But you use it. Why would you do that if you didn't like it?

It would probably be better if people could accumulate points (as a dubious form of prestige) but if giving of points was equal. If everybody could give 5 points for example then you wouldn't have as much brown nosing and/or fear of giving neg rep to "powerful" people. Face it you're not going to neg rep someone with more points than you because that will be negated when they ding you. I don't give neg rep so I don't really care, but that seems like a more reasonable system. The bigshots would still have a lot of points to show for their tenure and quality of their posts.

personally, i like the rep point values as they stand. Particularly because I get kind of a sense of achievement or something when say, Kathianne or another high-point member gives rep, because I figure whatever I posted was worthy of their giving me rep.

But you use it. Why would you do that if you didn't like it?

Because it's there?

I'm fairly certian that if I have rep'd anyone, I've also replied to them, too.

But as others have pointed out, you can't give rep points whenever you want since you have to "spread it around". So some people get it just for that reason alone.

Nope don't think so. You didn't when you tryed to neg rep me anyway. It was soon after you came to the board.:D

How exactly does someone go about "trying" to neg rep someone?

You either do or you don't. Don't you?

Is there a way to keep track of the rep points you give?

I give rep liberally, even to those I usually disagree with. If I agree with something you say, I'll usually give rep. And though I have in the past, I decided a few weeks ago to not give negative rep anymore. Only positive chi for me. :) The problem is that sometimes I can't give because I haven't spread enough around--whatever that means. I think the system is fine--except for one thing. Users on your ignore list can still give you negative rep. For this reason, I no longer put people on the ignore list either. I figure if they can damage my rep I might as well be able to read the crap they're posting.

How exactly does someone go about "trying" to neg rep someone?

You either do or you don't. Don't you?

Is there a way to keep track of the rep points you give?

At the time you had no rep power. So all that happened was your comment showed, yes that nasty pm thing. You know the stuff you don't like?
Exactly what you did.

At the time you had no rep power. So all that happened was your comment showed, yes that nasty pm thing. You know the stuff you don't like?
Exactly what you did.

Really? What did I say in my comment?

How long do you have to be here before you can neg rep someone?

Until you have 2 rep points. They are cut in 1/2 for negative. Thus, if I neg someone once and positive them one, they are up from me, 100% if I was at 100.

It doesn't matter what you said, the point is you did what you said you don't do, or have a problem with. I think roomy had ya tagged pretty good, huh?
Me too for that matter.:)

I personally could care less what my reputation level is. If everyone on the board neg-repped me until I was at -5000, I wouldn't think twice about it.

How about a system where either one of two conditions have been met? Either you have spread some around OR a specified amount of time has passed since you last repped the person you are trying to rep.

How about a system where either one of two conditions have been met? Either you have spread some around OR a specified amount of time has passed since you last repped the person you are trying to rep.

I know I disagree with more often than not, but I like your idea.

A "time" limit, instead of "spread it around".

(And I did rep you for that.)

I like the rep system. I do find it frustrating when it tells me to spread rep points around, but I also like that it does that. For example....I forget who I've repped and when that message pops up I think "wow, this person thinks a lot like me". I then go look for the last few posts this person has made to see if we think alike in general, or if it's just this one issue we are in agreement on.

When I get the message I just copy and paste it with a quote of the post I want to rep. That way everyone sees that the post should have gotten a rep!!

I very rarely post negatives and it's usually for anti-American posts.

Accordint to you it's not. Other's see it different.

The world doesn't revolve around clay.
Explain to me what the point of it would be then if it was intended to be used in retaliation? You'd just go around neg repping anyone who had less rep power than you?

How pointless.

Forum List

Back