What Are You Reading?

I finished Wintergirls, by Laurie Halse Anderson a few weeks ago. I wasn't sure I'd like it but it was recommended to my by a teen-aged friend and I must admit, I got caught up in the story.

Here's a little blurb about it:

“Dead girl walking,” the boys say in the halls.
“Tell us your secret,” the girls whisper, one toilet to another.
I am that girl.
I am the space between my thighs, daylight shining through.
I am the bones they want, wired on a porcelain frame.

Lia and Cassie are best friends, wintergirls frozen in matchstick bodies, competitors in a deadly contest to see who can be the skinniest. But what comes after size zero and size double-zero? When Cassie succumbs to the demons within, Lia feels she is being haunted by her friend’s restless spirit.

In her most emotionally wrenching, lyrically written book since the multiple-award-winning Speak, Laurie Halse Anderson explores Lia’s descent into the powerful vortex of anorexia, and her painful path toward recovery.

Most recently, I finished Genie, by Russ Rymer. It was extremely interesting and educational, not just the life of this unfortunate child but also how we acquire language.

Linky

I didn't find Speak very emotionally wrenching, and misogynist that I am, I didn't think the protagonist was actually "raped" from the description that was given. :)

Right now:

Love and Respect - Emerson Eggerichs
Recieving answers to Prayers - Gene R Cook
Harry Potter & the Deathly Hollows
Law & the Protestant Reformation
Barbarism & Civilization

I am reading light lately.

Edit: Oh and this is not including the scriptures.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back