What Are You Reading?

The Hell Job Series
by L. Ron Hubbard

Asked by an editor to look into and write stories about dangerous professions, L Ron Hubbard turned to life insurance company to identify just which jobs those were. But that was not enough, he immersed himself in the worlds of those who put their lives on the line, thus giving rise to The Hell Job Series, 15 true to life on the edge historical fiction shorts.

The Red Badge of Courage
Novel

Stephen Crane

The Red Badge of Courage is a war novel by American author Stephen Crane. Taking place during the American Civil War, the story is about a young private of the Union Army, Henry Fleming, who flees from the field of battle. Overcome with shame, he longs for a wound, a "red badge of courage," to counteract his cowardice. When his regiment once again faces the enemy, Henry acts as standard-bearer, who carries a flag.

411ivFPsIoL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Twilight (Jenny Cain Mysteries, No. 10)
by Nancy Pickard

Jenny Cain is up to her ears in plans for the Port Frederick Autumn Festival when a young widow comes to her with a heart breaking story. Melissa Barney's husband was recently hit by a car at the intersection of a nature trail and a highway. Barney wants to close the trail, and Jenny is drawn into a long-running controversy that threatens disaster for all she holds dear.

Black Beauty
by Anna Sewell

A handsome horse with a glossy black coat and a pretty white star on his forehead, Black Beauty seems to lead a charmed life. Although his mother warns him that there are 'bad, cruel men' in the world, he begins his life in a happy home, with a friendly groom to look after him and plenty to eat. However, when a change of circumstances means that he is sold, he soon discovers the truth of his mother's words. Anna Sewell's moving story is one of the best-loved animal adventures ever written.

Lemon Meringue Pie Murder

Joanne Fluke

Hannah Swensen thought she'd finally discovered the recipe for a perfect life. But her sometime beau Norman Rhodes tosses a surprise ingredient into the mix when he phones to tell her he's just bought a house from local drugstore clerk Rhonda Scharf--which he plans to tear down in order to build the dream home he and Hannah designed. It seems the plan has been cooking for quite some time, and Hannah is shocked--especially since her ring finger is still very much bare. The good news is that the soon-to-be-torn-down house is full of antiques--and Norman has given Hannah and her mother first dibs. They uncover some gorgeous old furniture, a patchwork quilt...and Rhonda Scharf's dead body. A little more sleuthing turns up the half-eaten remains of a very special dinner for two--and one of The Cookie Jar's famous lemon meringue pies. Now it's up to Hannah to turn up the heat--and get busy tracking down the clues. Starting in her very own kitchen.

Murder, She Meowed (Mrs. Murphy #5)
by Rita Mae Brown, Sneaky Pie Brown

The annual steeplechase races at Montpelier, once the home of James and Dolley Madison, are the high point in the social calendar of the horse-mad Virginians of cozy Crozet. The race meet offers a cracking good time with old friends and a chance to get even—on the racecourse—with old enemies. Postmistress Mary Minor "Harry" Haristeen will be in the thick of the action on this day of high spirits and fierce competition. But the glorious thoroughbreds and the pinks and greens and purples worn by the riders do not blind Harry to the dangerous undercurrents that start to surface. There's sure to be some emotional fireworks at Montpelier. Still, no one expects the day to end in tragedy.

Found dead in the main barn is one of the day's riders, a knife plunged through the jockey's heart. The only clue is a playing card, the Queen of Clubs, impaled over the fatal wound. Within the wealthy, tight-knit world of horse owners, trainers, and jockeys, the victim had both admirers and enemies.

Was the murderer's motive greed, drugs--a pervasive evil in the race world—or sexual rivalry? Luckily for Crozet's humans, the tiger cat Mrs. Murphy is right at home in the stable yard...and on the trail of the shocking truth. But will Harry catch on in time to stop a killer grown bloodthirsty with success?

Harry Potter.... I read the first one a long time ago, because my ex's brother had it, and then I read the next two in a foreign language.

Decided to read them all from start to finish, started the Order of the Phoenix a few hours ago.

before that it was some book on the demise of the Ottoman Empire, before that Robin Hobb's Rain Wild's trilogy (which has 4 books, so isn't a trilogy).

My favorite author though is Robin Hobb, aka Margaret Ogden. She has trilogies set in a fantasy world, but her writing is so good it doesn't feel much like fantasy at all. The Farseer Trilogy with a boy who can speak to a wolf, and connect, and they change over the course of the books, the boy becomes more wolf, slowly, and the wolf more human.

Embraced by the Light
Betty J. Eadie

#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER - The groundbreaking account of life after death that has become a source of comfort, inspiration, and solace to millions "I felt a surge of energy, and my spirit was suddenly drawn through my chest and pulled upward. My first impression is that I was free. . . ." On the night of November 19, 1973, following surgery, thirty-one-year-old wife and mother Betty J. Eadie died. This is her extraordinary story of the events that followed, her astonishing proof of life after physical death. She saw more, perhaps than any other person has seen before and shares her almost photographic recollections of the remarkable details. Compelling, inspiring, and infinitely reassuring, her vivid account gives us a glimpse of the peace and unconditional love that awaits us all. More important, Betty's journey offers a simple message that can transform our lives today, showing us our purpose and guiding us to live the way we were meant to--joyously, abundantly, and with love. Praise for Embraced by the Light "The most detailed and spellbinding near-death experience I have ever heard."--Kimberly Clark-Sharp, president, Seattle International Association of Near-Death Studies

Elementary Catechism on the Constitution of the United States by Arthur J. Stansbury, 1828.

The Catechism was first used in the early 1800's for school children but should be required reading in every school today. It is an excellent way to re-acquaint yourself with the nature and benefit of strict constitutional government and for those who are discovering their true heritage for the first time.

Ye Olde Book Shoppe

Crikey,Midie,such thought provoking yet depressing reads in the main,I suppose you are displaying the thoughts of another 3 odd years of the TRUMP PRESIDENCY,being Australian and living in "Paradise".....I feel for you Midie,...How did America/ns stoop so low...steven

Beyond Good and Evil by Friedrich Nietzsche. 213 pages, 9 chapters.

Soon to be what I'm not reading - pretty sure I'm not gonna make it past Ch. 2.

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Novel

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain is an 1876 novel about a young boy growing up along the Mississippi River. It is set in the 1840s in the fictional town of St. Petersburg, inspired by Hannibal, Missouri, where Twain lived as a boy.

Forum List

Back