What are you reading now?

As I read the book, I have to stop all the time and look up a word like "Top-Gallant Sail", lol!

I find myself doing that a lot.
The writer will bring up some fact or location and you just have to learn about to add depth to the story.
Good thing I got the dictionary on my Fire!

Had a few Fires.
They always died and the battery life sucked.
The paper white lasts for weeks.
So far mine is good.

I went through three of em and the wife two.
They lasted on average about a year and either the plug connection failed or it just stopped working.

I'm all about the Kindle paper whites reliability and battery life.

As I read the book, I have to stop all the time and look up a word like "Top-Gallant Sail", lol!

The writer will bring up some fact or location and you just have to learn about to add depth to the story.

Had a few Fires.
So far mine is good.

They lasted on average about a year and either the plug connection failed or it just stopped working.

When this one dies, I'll check it out. I don't like the Fire I have as it's really slow with the Internet and downloading books, but reading is all I use it for and it was only 50 bucks. So good for now. I still have the Kindle but the battery is worthless.

I read quite a lot and I always have since I was in middle school. Seems like I am always engrossed in some star system light years away fighting lizard people, or a time travel adventure or something. Today I started reading Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana jr. It's about a young man living in the 1830's who becomes ill and has his vision affected and with no medical remedy around, decides to sign up for a two year voyage from Boston to the west coast of the north American continent to load skins to sell. It was a trip for him to recover or die. Fortunately he recovered his vision and went on the write the book.
It's very detailed and tells the reader what daily life aboard the 85 foot Brig "Pilgrim" was like. Below is a recreation of the ship.

Pilgrim-TALL-SHIP.-W.Ross_-600x413.jpg

According to the book there were about 15 people aboard and they were very busy. They continually had to put up and take down the sails depending on the weather, and had to be on watch around the clock. So the sailors life was one kept busy! They had a compass and maritime chronometer and the ability to sail by the stars. The voyage took two years and is a wonderful tale of adventure on the high seas without all the hollywood hype thrown in. A good read if you are interested in history or sea going vessels of that period.

I figured I should post this to dispel some of the nasty rumors that I "can't read". ;)
I'm reading the Mueller Indictment.

Read the Mueller probe's indictment of 13 Russian nationals and the...

I read quite a lot and I always have since I was in middle school. Seems like I am always engrossed in some star system light years away fighting lizard people, or a time travel adventure or something. Today I started reading Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana jr. It's about a young man living in the 1830's who becomes ill and has his vision affected and with no medical remedy around, decides to sign up for a two year voyage from Boston to the west coast of the north American continent to load skins to sell. It was a trip for him to recover or die. Fortunately he recovered his vision and went on the write the book.
It's very detailed and tells the reader what daily life aboard the 85 foot Brig "Pilgrim" was like. Below is a recreation of the ship.

Pilgrim-TALL-SHIP.-W.Ross_-600x413.jpg

According to the book there were about 15 people aboard and they were very busy. They continually had to put up and take down the sails depending on the weather, and had to be on watch around the clock. So the sailors life was one kept busy! They had a compass and maritime chronometer and the ability to sail by the stars. The voyage took two years and is a wonderful tale of adventure on the high seas without all the hollywood hype thrown in. A good read if you are interested in history or sea going vessels of that period.

I figured I should post this to dispel some of the nasty rumors that I "can't read". ;)
I'm reading the Mueller Indictment.

Read the Mueller probe's indictment of 13 Russian nationals and the...
Fantasy and fiction, huh? Cool.

Had a few Fires.
So far mine is good.

When this one dies, I'll check it out. I don't like the Fire I have as it's really slow with the Internet and downloading books, but reading is all I use it for and it was only 50 bucks. So good for now. I still have the Kindle but the battery is worthless.

I'll admit I've gone through several kindles myself.
But it's been due to idiocy on my part,dropped in the pool,the hot tub or dropped overboard on vacation.

I'm about halfway through the book with Dana still in California. According to him the mexicans in california were just as worthless then as they are now!

Now, after finishing Two years Before the Mast, I am reading Robinson Crusoe. Very cool!

Now, after finishing Two years Before the Mast, I am reading Robinson Crusoe. Very cool!

Just finished Endurance and am about 30% into Two years before the mast. Right after the flogging.
I apparently read Endurance sometime in my distant past because I remembered certain parts.
Plan on reading The Hearts of the Sea next on OldLady recommendation.

Just finished Endurance and am about 30% into Two years before the mast. Right after the flogging.
I apparently read Endurance sometime in my distant past because I remembered certain parts.
The ending of TYBtM had a part that kinda blew me away, see if you felt the same thing I did and pm me.

Edited to add, I felt like, wow!

The ending of TYBtM had a part that kinda blew me away, see if you felt the same thing I did and pm me.

Will do.

Edited to add, I felt like, wow!

Interesting.
I'll let you know my thoughts.

Language was so different back then!

Yeah it was.
This has been a slow read. Interesting to be sure but a little on the dry side.
I'm at the point where they are about to round Cape Horn on their return to Boston.
I had to stop every page or so to look up a word. Glad I have the dictionary enabled. Just have to touch the word! It would seem that as dangerous as that area is in winter they would wait until it would be summer there to try it.

Yeah it was.
I'm at the point where they are about to round Cape Horn on their return to Boston.
I had to stop every page or so to look up a word. Glad I have the dictionary enabled. Just have to touch the word! It would seem that as dangerous as that area is in winter they would wait until it would be summer there to try it.

Thats what I was thinking.
Especially with the ship being loaded to the gills and being short handed.

Yeah it was.

Wouldn't it have been wild? No radio, no nav, no GPS, no Radar, NOTHING!

Yeah it was.

Wouldn't it have been wild? No radio, no nav, no GPS, no Radar, NOTHING!

The sextant was the highest tech on board.:ack-1:
You gotta hand it to em. That shit took huge balls to accomplish.

I think I read they had a maritime clock, but that something or another was wrong with it.

Yeah it was.

Found this to identify the sails they were constantly reefing,taking down or putting up.
I didnt know they actually removed parts of the mast.

Boat and Ship Rigs

Forum List

Back