What are you looking for in the perfect knife...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
"Made" my first knife this fall. It's actually a reprofiled vintage 8" Ontario Slicer in 1095 carbon steel cut with a Dremel, quenched often to retain heat-treatment. The new profile is based on the Canadian Belt Knife. The example pictured is my Cold Steel CBK. While it is a very practical knife, the CS is not full tanged, and the Grohmann that it is based on it a minimum of $100 new. So I made my own. The handle I cut and shaped from seasoned oak with a stain that was made from boiled black walnut hulls. The rivets are repurposed from the original Onterio Knife.

47d6947c-6b4d-471e-a845-8a6dc8c5fc6b_zps8ivfcu48.jpg

Example of the donor knife...

0347eac1-08ea-4936-8bed-88a9ed7dee06_zpsbfdyxtwa.png

Now it's time to make something bigger, a general purpose wilderness knife.

I'm considering a Nessmuk style knife.

What qualities do you like in or what knife do you suggest for all around wilderness/survival use?

Last edited:
"Made" my first knife this fall. It's actually a reprofiled vintage 8" Ontario Slicer in 1095 carbon steel cut with a Dremel, quenched often to retain heat-treatment. The new profile is based on the Canadian Belt Knife. The example pictured is my Cold Steel CBK. While it is a very practical knife, the CS is not full tanged, and the Grohmann that it is based on it a minimum of $100 new. So I made my own. The handle I cut and shaped from seasoned oak with a stain that was made from boiled black walnut hulls. The rivets are repurposed from the original Onterio Knife.

What qualities do you like in or what knife do you suggest for all around wilderness/survival use?
I don't know what's more worrying, this thread or your past.

I am torn between jack knife and fixed blade.

I have a couple of each.

I like the discretion of a jack knife.

But if I got into a fight I would want a fixed blade -- faster to deploy.

I don't know what's more worrying, this thread or your past.

I apologize...it was not my intention to give you the Vapors. Perhaps a good lie down will dispel them.

I am torn between jack knife and fixed blade.

I have a couple of each.

I like the discretion of a jack knife.

But if I got into a fight I would want a fixed blade -- faster to deploy.

I am firmly in the fixed blade camp for my usage.

Though if I was going to try to create a folder at my current skill level, it would have to be based on the French Opinel.

Going to try making a Kephart and a Nessmuk style knife out of an Ontario Old Hickory Butcher and Skinner.

Also working up some mosaic pins and black walnut scales.

jk kephart.jpg

DSCN0217.jpg

Forum List

Back