What are you listening to?

I might be stuck in older music...but so often I see a message in the lovely lyrics of such singer/songwriters as Simon and Garfunkel that trascends time and resonates today.

I am not sure I see that in modern music...but that might be me.

My mind's distracted and diffused
My thoughts are many miles away
They lie with you when you're asleep
And kiss you when you start your day

Great song, thanks for the post. We DO agree on something, that's nice to see. Simon & Garfunkel are one of my favorite music acts all-time. Bridge Over Troubled Water is one of my favorite albums/cds in any genre. The songs "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "The Only Living Boy In New York" from that album are my favorites from that album and by them. Simply beautiful songs, they give me chills every time I listen to them.

Great song, thanks for the post. We DO agree on something, that's nice to see. Simon & Garfunkel are one of my favorite music acts all-time. Bridge Over Troubled Water is one of my favorite albums/cds in any genre. The songs "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "The Only Living Boy In New York" from that album are my favorites from that album and by them. Simply beautiful songs, they give me chills every time I listen to them.

Oh God I so agree...I too get chills...it's poetry set to music! Glad I'm not the only one :smiliehug:

They were part of my growing up...you know, I still have the vinyl albums.

Are there any such poets in songwriting still?

Listening to Townes Van Zandt
BY CHRISTINE GOSNAY
We are of one mind
and too much has not been said
about all the quiet afternoons
childhood offered us,
lit gray like a cat, or blue,
and cursed with an early moon.
When father wore an apron
or crept like a bear, we screamed.
Nothing is so gone.
Where is his record player
or the channel that forked
a distant year toward us,
kind, slow magnet?
There was a song we shared
without your listening,
you widowed soul crawling away on your elbows.
I sing it to my child, with a full hand I
flick its rapeseeds everywhere,
clear, and slow,
with all the sincerity its author indeed felt
in his ten-gallon hat
and his thin, whisky-soaked shirt

Oh God I so agree...I too get chills...it's poetry set to music! Glad I'm not the only one :smiliehug:

And "The Only Living Boy In New York" REALLY gets to me sometimes. The choir-like backing is just gorgeous and does bring me to tears at times. I read about the making of the song, it was just Paul and Art that did the vocals. They overlaid their vocals and recorded them in a big, empty room to get the sound of a choir. Just incredibly beautiful.

Got it
s-l400.jpg

And "The Only Living Boy In New York" REALLY gets to me sometimes. The choir-like backing is just gorgeous and does bring me to tears at times. I read about the making of the song, it was just Paul and Art that did the vocals. They overlaid their vocals and recorded them in a big, empty room to get the sound of a choir. Just incredibly beautiful.

Yes!!!!!!!

And their lyrics were just poetry :)

No electronic manipulation..just pure beautiful vocals.

Listening to Townes Van Zandt
BY CHRISTINE GOSNAY
We are of one mind
and too much has not been said
about all the quiet afternoons
childhood offered us,
lit gray like a cat, or blue,
and cursed with an early moon.
When father wore an apron
or crept like a bear, we screamed.
Nothing is so gone.
Where is his record player
or the channel that forked
a distant year toward us,
kind, slow magnet?
There was a song we shared
without your listening,
you widowed soul crawling away on your elbows.
I sing it to my child, with a full hand I
flick its rapeseeds everywhere,
clear, and slow,
with all the sincerity its author indeed felt
in his ten-gallon hat
and his thin, whisky-soaked shirt

He was such a talent Froggy - I just ordered a CD compilition of his :)

I know one fine rock and roll poet is still recording, Bruce Springsteen. I haven't heard his recent stuff, it has gotten good reviews.

I'm listening to "Hungry Heart" by Bruce right now. It's from the Essential Bruce Springsteen two - CD set. There's some great stuff on this.

Forum List

Back