What are you listening to?

Neil is so famous, everyone from New Guinea to Anchorage
knew he passed away within an hour.... rip sir

....It slips between your hands like water
This living in real time
A dizzying lifetime
Reeling by on celluloid....

Sorry --- "Neil" who? :dunno:

(Stan Rogers: Witch of the Westmereland)

Witch of the Westmereland is about a knight described as “wounded” or perhaps “world weary” who goes to seek, and finds wisdom and peace from the Witch of the Westmereland – “witch” of course standing to mean “wise woman”. Full of herbal folklore (he bears a rowan shield, which Rogers pronounces as "rau-un" -- I dunno, maybe that's Canadian?)

>> The rowan tree is traditionally associated as a wood that protects its wielder from magical attacks. In Celtic lore, it is a tree that is sacred to the goddess Brigidh and was known to the early Celts as “the tree of life” and associated with purity. Bearers of such a shield would have been considered heralds and potentially as someone on a spiritual quest.

The knight is visited by several animal guides that tell him the only chance he has to heal his wounds is to seek out the maiden known as the Witch of the Westmoreland, as the “water cold and clear will never clean your wound.” He journeys into the forest with his mare, his hunting hawk, and his hounds, all symbols of status, skill, and strength for the knight, meeting an owl along the way who asks him why he is in the woods. He tells the owl that he is seeking out the maiden that is said to live within. He eventually reaches the lake where this maiden is said to dwell and leaving his animals behind, but ready to come at the sound of his horn, he casts goldenrod into the lake to summon the maiden. When she appears, it is in the form of a centaur – “one half the form of a maiden fair with a jet black mare’s body” and she flees at the sight of the knight.

He summons his own animals with a blast from his horn and gives chase before she is eventually apprehended by his hounds and hawk. It is then she notices that the knight is wounded. She commands him to sheathe his sword and put away his shield, turning completely into a maiden clothed in blue and held with silver chain. Once he has done so, she kisses him three times and then wraps goldenrod around his wounds, healing him. He lays with her that night, rising hale and hearty and she bids him farewell, letting him know of another gift that was bestowed upon him by her embrace – invincibility. “She said ‘Ride with your brindled hound at heel, and your good grey hawk in hand/There’s none can harm the knight who’s lain with the Witch of the Westmoreland.’” << --- There's an Adventure in That

ZRxSFotT6hbK6SWBOyx6LtLmUPG-0SCRNIqv2ZjQZM4tMiTeCXr8kL0MqBXPck70O_jNEox-EwlEQvt5StNKoA.jpg

It's a favourite track to play on Hallowe'en.

Last edited:
I saw no last name, so I asked for one. It's you who's trolling, and your post should be removed.
If you were born before 1955, don't watch TV or have a smart phone or computer, or never read the thread titles listed maybe you have an excuse not to know who Neil Peart is and that he died yesterday. No offense.

Thank you. All of that applies except thread titles, and no I never heard of him. Obviously I have a computer. Several.

Someone else may have never heard of Yma Sumac or João Bosco or Kendra MacGillivray but that's just personal tastes.

Thank you. All of that applies except thread titles, and no I never heard of him. Obviously I have a computer. Several.

Someone else may have never heard of Yma Sumac or João Bosco or Kendra MacGillivray but that's just personal tastes.
Thank you.
He was the drummer and lyricist for the rock group Rush (who have a very unique story if you're interested,) and whether you like their music or not, you would appreciate him as a person.

(Stan Rogers: Witch of the Westmereland)

Witch of the Westmereland is about a knight described as “wounded” or perhaps “world weary” who goes to seek, and finds wisdom and peace from the Witch of the Westmereland – “witch” of course standing to mean “wise woman”. Full of herbal folklore (he bears a rowan shield, which Rogers pronounces as "rau-un" -- I dunno, maybe that's Canadian?)

>> The rowan tree is traditionally associated as a wood that protects its wielder from magical attacks. In Celtic lore, it is a tree that is sacred to the goddess Brigidh and was known to the early Celts as “the tree of life” and associated with purity. Bearers of such a shield would have been considered heralds and potentially as someone on a spiritual quest.

The knight is visited by several animal guides that tell him the only chance he has to heal his wounds is to seek out the maiden known as the Witch of the Westmoreland, as the “water cold and clear will never clean your wound.” He journeys into the forest with his mare, his hunting hawk, and his hounds, all symbols of status, skill, and strength for the knight, meeting an owl along the way who asks him why he is in the woods. He tells the owl that he is seeking out the maiden that is said to live within. He eventually reaches the lake where this maiden is said to dwell and leaving his animals behind, but ready to come at the sound of his horn, he casts goldenrod into the lake to summon the maiden. When she appears, it is in the form of a centaur – “one half the form of a maiden fair with a jet black mare’s body” and she flees at the sight of the knight.

He summons his own animals with a blast from his horn and gives chase before she is eventually apprehended by his hounds and hawk. It is then she notices that the knight is wounded. She commands him to sheathe his sword and put away his shield, turning completely into a maiden clothed in blue and held with silver chain. Once he has done so, she kisses him three times and then wraps goldenrod around his wounds, healing him. He lays with her that night, rising hale and hearty and she bids him farewell, letting him know of another gift that was bestowed upon him by her embrace – invincibility. “She said ‘Ride with your brindled hound at heel, and your good grey hawk in hand/There’s none can harm the knight who’s lain with the Witch of the Westmoreland.’” << --- There's an Adventure in That

ZRxSFotT6hbK6SWBOyx6LtLmUPG-0SCRNIqv2ZjQZM4tMiTeCXr8kL0MqBXPck70O_jNEox-EwlEQvt5StNKoA.jpg

It's a favourite track to play on Hallowe'en.
I love the song, thanks for the background Pogo! :)

Time for Bobbie Gentry again. "Mean Stepmama Blooze", LP "Patchwork", Capitol 1971

Really getting into this marvelous box collection. Boundlessly impressive.

Forum List

Back