What are you listening to?

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Soft Cell "Bedsitter" released on 7" in 1981 on Some Bizzare Records, the B Side is "Facility Girls"...."Bedsitter" also appears on Soft Cell's first album "Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret" also released in 1981 on Some Bizzare Records.

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

The Chills "Pink Frost" released on 7" in 1984 on Flying Nun Records, the B Side is "Purple Girl"...."Pink Frost" also appears on The Chills album "Kaleidoscope World" released in 1986 also on Flying Nun Records.

The Chills are from Dunedin, New Zealand....Flying Nun Records from Christchurch, New Zealand.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

The Undertones "Jimmy Jimmy" released on 7" in 1979 on Sire Records, the B Side is "Mars Bars"

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Roxy Music "Do The Strand" released on 7" in 1973 on Island Records, the B Side is "Editions Of You"...."Do The Strand" also appears on Roxy Music's album "For Your Pleasure" also released in 1973 and also on Island Records.

Roxy Music were fantastic UNTIL Brian Eno left them, then they went far too commercial in many peoples' opinion, so the albums "Roxy Music" in 1972, "For Your Pleasure" in 1973 and "Stranded" also in 1973 absolutely brilliant stuff....post-"Stranded" too commercial, too Pop Music.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

Roxy Music "Do The Strand" released on 7" in 1973 on Island Records, the B Side is "Editions Of You"...."Do The Strand" also appears on Roxy Music's album "For Your Pleasure" also released in 1973 and also on Island Records.

Roxy Music were fantastic UNTIL Brian Eno left them, then they went far too commercial in many peoples' opinion, so the albums "Roxy Music" in 1972, "For Your Pleasure" in 1973 and "Stranded" also in 1973 absolutely brilliant stuff....post-"Stranded" too commercial, too Pop Music.

This sounds like it could have inspired Rocky Horror Picture Show.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

This sounds like it could have inspired Rocky Horror Picture Show.

I hadn't thought of that before.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

The Specials "Ghost Town" released on 7" in 1981 on 2 Tone Records, the B Sides are "Why?" and "Friday Night, Saturday Morning"

Forum List

Back