What are you going to do Nov. 9?

Its a test of the emergency broadcast system. Its all here. 2PM 11-9-11 and will last for 3 mins. .

Emergency Alert System Nationwide Test | FCC.gov

At the Federal Communications Commission's June 9, 2011 Agenda meeting, Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau Chief Jamie Barnett, joined by representatives from FEMA and the National Weather Service, announced that the first nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS) would take place at 2:00 PM (Eastern Standard Time) on November 9, 2011.

What I heard was they were downloading some type of info in the communication system some type of "black box"

You wouldn't need to reboot the Internet to get some king of black box running. The WWW does not run on Windows.

Its a test of the emergency broadcast system. Its all here. 2PM 11-9-11 and will last for 3 mins. .

At the Federal Communications Commission's June 9, 2011 Agenda meeting, Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau Chief Jamie Barnett, joined by representatives from FEMA and the National Weather Service, announced that the first nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS) would take place at 2:00 PM (Eastern Standard Time) on November 9, 2011.

What I heard was they were downloading some type of info in the communication system some type of "black box"

You wouldn't need to reboot the Internet to get some king of black box running. The WWW does not run on Windows.

I really haven't a clue.

Three minutes?

Most people would just think it is a problem with their ISP and click refresh a few times. Some might even get as far as rebooting their computer. Before they panic the system will be back up and running and no one will be the wiser.

Immie

Three minutes?

Most people would just think it is a problem with their ISP and click refresh a few times. Some might even get as far as rebooting their computer. Before they panic the system will be back up and running and no one will be the wiser.

Immie

I really think no one cares

I'm sure one of the Libs here have Al Gore on speed dial..
After all he invented the Damm thing.
He sure as hell should know how to get around this.
I'm also sure Kim Kardashian will be whoring herself one way or another to make a quick buck.
I don't wanna miss out on that.

Last edited:
I will turn everything off @ 2pm.. I AM NOT LISTENING TO THIER FEAR MONGERING CRAP!!

This is just A SHOW OF POWER!! (Reg EAS alerts have been going on for years)

As far as I know it applies to TV and radio. Just saw an ad letting people know it was just a test and not to be alarmed.

If the government wasnt planning to actually seize control over the radio and tv networks for those three minutes, I wouldn't be as concerned about it.

The fact that the Federal government thinks they can, bothers me.

There's some swirl out in the internet world that communacations and the internet is to shut down time is uncertain three minutes on
What would cause that?
Your masters testing the "kill switch" Once they start rounding you up they cant have you communicating with each other.

Normally, Douger is someone I ignore for lack of any substance coming from him.

This time he may be a bit prophetic.

I will turn everything off @ 2pm.. I AM NOT LISTENING TO THIER FEAR MONGERING CRAP!!

This is just A SHOW OF POWER!! (Reg EAS alerts have been going on for years)

How exactly is turning everything off going to stop them from seizing control of all tv and radio for 3 minutes?

Whether you watch/listen to it or not, it's still happening.

So this test will include the internet.

In May 2007, the Commission adopted a Second Report and Order9 in which it provided the groundwork for “Next Generation EAS” with four cornerstones: 1) maintain the existing EAS network; 2) utilize a common messaging protocol, the Common Alerting Protocol (CAP), to be implemented by all EAS Participants following its adoption by FEMA; 3) incorporate new authentication and security requirements; and 4) foster the deployment of new, redundant EAS delivery systems, including satellite, Internet, and wireline networks. These new networks should support delivery of more targeted and detailed alert information to EAS Participants based on CAP to be developed by FEMA

Tech Topic #21 Emergency Alert System (EAS)

So this test will include the internet.

In May 2007, the Commission adopted a Second Report and Order9 in which it provided the groundwork for “Next Generation EAS” with four cornerstones: 1) maintain the existing EAS network; 2) utilize a common messaging protocol, the Common Alerting Protocol (CAP), to be implemented by all EAS Participants following its adoption by FEMA; 3) incorporate new authentication and security requirements; and 4) foster the deployment of new, redundant EAS delivery systems, including satellite, Internet, and wireline networks. These new networks should support delivery of more targeted and detailed alert information to EAS Participants based on CAP to be developed by FEMA

Oh Goodie!

The EAS is going to send pop-ups to every PC in the country! Bastards, I hate that form of advertising. I suspect that they will contain messages like, "Vote for hope and change again. Re-elect Barack Obama in 2012".

I hope to hell my pop-up blocker will block these.

Immie

I got this email from Comcast/Xfinity a few days ago:

Dear Comcast Customer:

On Wednesday, November 9 at 2 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time), FEMA and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will conduct the nation's first ever Emergency Alert System (EAS) test. The purpose of this test is to help determine if the national-level system will work as designed, should officials ever need to send a national alert.

This test will last approximately three minutes and will be seen on all local, cable, and satellite TV stations across the country, as well as radio.

Here's What You Should Know

Your Comcast programming will be temporarily interrupted. However, as soon as the test ends, you will be returned to your regularly scheduled programming. While we do not anticipate an interruption in your service, in some rare cases, you may need to:

• Use your remote to channel up and then channel down or power down your box to fully restore programming after the test completes.
• Any DVR recordings that are in progress during this test will be interrupted, and in some cases, lost.

If you experience the Emergency Alert System message for more than five minutes, please do the following:

• Power-cycle your cable box by unplugging the power cord from the outlet
• Wait thirty seconds and then plug it back in

The guide data and Video On Demand content will take a period of time to fully restore. Please wait 20 minutes before choosing Video On Demand as this might result in other errors with your box. To watch a video and learn more on how to Power-cycle, CLICK HERE.

To learn more about the national EAS test, visit us at: Emergency Alert System Nationwide Test (EAS) or visit FEMA at FEMA: Nationwide EAS Test or the FCC at Emergency Alert System Nationwide Test | FCC.gov

This is the info given at the FEMA link, from above'

Nationwide Emergency Alert System (EAS) Test Introduction

FEMA, in coordination with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), will conduct the first nationwide Emergency Alert System (EAS) Test on November 9, at 2:00 p.m. Eastern.

FEMA, the FCC, and NOAA’s vision for improving the EAS is incremental, which means testing the readiness and effectiveness of the EAS as it currently exists today is the first step. A more effective and functional EAS requires continual testing to identify necessary improvements so that all levels of the system can better serve our communities and deliver critical information that will save lives and property.

EAS Participants provide a critical public service to the nation as the resilient backbone of alert and warning when all other means of communication are unavailable. EAS Participants include all broadcasters, satellite and digital radio and television, cable television and wireline video providers who ensure the system is at a constant state of readiness.

The nationwide EAS Test is not a pass or fail measure, nor will it specifically test Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) compliant equipment (although CAP compliant equipment should pass the Emergency Action Notification [EAN] live-code in the same manner as legacy EAS equipment).

FEMA and its federal partners understand that improving the EAS is a process that takes time. IPAWS has compiled experiential lessons learned and best practices from the Alaska EAS Tests in 2010 & 2011 as well as through the EAS rebuilding effort and tsunami live-code test in the U.S. Virgin Islands (located in the EAS Tests and Demonstrations section). Laboratory research is also being conducted at IPAWS.

IPAWS, in coordination with the FCC, is continually engaging the EAS Community through many activities, including information updates, workshops, roundtables, webinars, and on-site State and local EAS demonstrations to continue a solutions-oriented dialogue. IPAWS has also developed an external idea sharing website, A National Dialogue on the Emergency Alert System to discuss best practices and lessons learned from the EAS Community on a variety of topics that will support discussions during webinar and roundtable events.

The alert and warning landscape is in an important state of transition; from the current system of radio, television, cable, satellite, and wireline broadcast media-based alerting to a future system that integrates new technologies for a more universal access to alert and warning messages. Future testing of the EAS will assess the effectiveness and reliability of other technologies to achieve the ultimate goal of timely alert and warning to American public in the preservation of life and property.

FEMA: Nationwide EAS Test

I don't see internet anywhere in this info.

With black helicopters and tin foil?

I got this email from Comcast/Xfinity a few days ago:

Dear Comcast Customer:

On Wednesday, November 9 at 2 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time), FEMA and the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will conduct the nation's first ever Emergency Alert System (EAS) test. The purpose of this test is to help determine if the national-level system will work as designed, should officials ever need to send a national alert.

This test will last approximately three minutes and will be seen on all local, cable, and satellite TV stations across the country, as well as radio.

Here's What You Should Know

Your Comcast programming will be temporarily interrupted. However, as soon as the test ends, you will be returned to your regularly scheduled programming. While we do not anticipate an interruption in your service, in some rare cases, you may need to:

• Use your remote to channel up and then channel down or power down your box to fully restore programming after the test completes.
• Any DVR recordings that are in progress during this test will be interrupted, and in some cases, lost.

If you experience the Emergency Alert System message for more than five minutes, please do the following:

• Power-cycle your cable box by unplugging the power cord from the outlet
• Wait thirty seconds and then plug it back in

The guide data and Video On Demand content will take a period of time to fully restore. Please wait 20 minutes before choosing Video On Demand as this might result in other errors with your box. To watch a video and learn more on how to Power-cycle, CLICK HERE.

To learn more about the national EAS test, visit us at: Emergency Alert System Nationwide Test (EAS) or visit FEMA at FEMA: Nationwide EAS Test or the FCC at Emergency Alert System Nationwide Test | FCC.gov

This is the info given at the FEMA link, from above'

Nationwide Emergency Alert System (EAS) Test Introduction

FEMA, in coordination with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), will conduct the first nationwide Emergency Alert System (EAS) Test on November 9, at 2:00 p.m. Eastern.

FEMA, the FCC, and NOAA’s vision for improving the EAS is incremental, which means testing the readiness and effectiveness of the EAS as it currently exists today is the first step. A more effective and functional EAS requires continual testing to identify necessary improvements so that all levels of the system can better serve our communities and deliver critical information that will save lives and property.

EAS Participants provide a critical public service to the nation as the resilient backbone of alert and warning when all other means of communication are unavailable. EAS Participants include all broadcasters, satellite and digital radio and television, cable television and wireline video providers who ensure the system is at a constant state of readiness.

The nationwide EAS Test is not a pass or fail measure, nor will it specifically test Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) compliant equipment (although CAP compliant equipment should pass the Emergency Action Notification [EAN] live-code in the same manner as legacy EAS equipment).

FEMA and its federal partners understand that improving the EAS is a process that takes time. IPAWS has compiled experiential lessons learned and best practices from the Alaska EAS Tests in 2010 & 2011 as well as through the EAS rebuilding effort and tsunami live-code test in the U.S. Virgin Islands (located in the EAS Tests and Demonstrations section). Laboratory research is also being conducted at IPAWS.

IPAWS, in coordination with the FCC, is continually engaging the EAS Community through many activities, including information updates, workshops, roundtables, webinars, and on-site State and local EAS demonstrations to continue a solutions-oriented dialogue. IPAWS has also developed an external idea sharing website, A National Dialogue on the Emergency Alert System to discuss best practices and lessons learned from the EAS Community on a variety of topics that will support discussions during webinar and roundtable events.

The alert and warning landscape is in an important state of transition; from the current system of radio, television, cable, satellite, and wireline broadcast media-based alerting to a future system that integrates new technologies for a more universal access to alert and warning messages. Future testing of the EAS will assess the effectiveness and reliability of other technologies to achieve the ultimate goal of timely alert and warning to American public in the preservation of life and property.

FEMA: Nationwide EAS Test

I don't see internet anywhere in this info.

This is from the FCC
You're at: FCC / PSHSB / Tech Topics / Tech Topic 21: Emergency Alert System

I always hate that time of the year when in 24 hours it's dark at 5 pm when we "fall back" for an hour. I wouldn't put it past the federal government to create a crisis and pretend to fix it.

Forum List

Back