What are you doing to conserver energy?

I open my window blinds more to let natural light in. Using my A/C less. In the winter, I use more blankets to use less heat. I car pool as much as I can when I go to work (100-miles round trip). I buy those lightbulbs that use less energy.

I blow hot air on this message board rather than in the real world so that the fan doesn't need to be on.

I live in NYC, and of course pollution and greenhouse gas emission is a serious issue. Finding alternative sources of energy is completely essential!

However, according to Michael Livermore, there may be a new public policy where institutions such as power plants, will have to pay a fee for the amount of carbon output the produce. New York, New Jersey, and eight other states are among those who wish to proceed in such a policy known as the Greenhouse Gas Initiative.

Basically, power plants will have to purchase credits to emit certain gases. Each year the amount of credits accessible to them will decrease in order to reduce emission. The funds from this course of action will go to alternative energy programs that will be managed by the state.

I was stunned to hear this concept broadcast today on the John Gambling show. I listen to WOR every morning to hear the traffic updates and weather and when this popped up I was utterly confused...how would this work at all?

John Gambling agrees with my stance on the situation- how can they expect power plants to not only uphold such a contract but expect them to further decrease their emissions each year when a new energy alternative is still not accessible, no wind power or anything. Furthermore, if such institutions fail to comply with these regulations, what is the state going to do? Close the factory down? Or just demand more money?

I work in Rahway, NJ at a power plant that produces pharmaceutical drugs. As far as I am concerned, closing down the plant would be detrimental to the local economy and feeing the plant would do just the same (since we all know that these taxes would be payed by our paychecks).

I want progress within alternative energy sources, but I am not willing to support this policy. It sounds faulty and economically hindering.

BTW- I am very excited to learn that NYC will be going green. Bloomberg announced this over the summer and will probably further discuss this when he tunes in every Friday with Mr. Gambling on WOR 710- if you live in the Metropolitan area I urge you to check it out and listen it. It makes NYC politics accessible and creates a relationship with the Mayor that actually benefits the constituents.

And you better believe the cost of those credits are coming out of your pocket...especially if the alternatives are nowhere in sight thus pushing up the cost of the credit.

How come the pols won't give the power companies tax credits to invest in alternatives?

Oh yeah, that would cut into THEIR pocketbook.

Can't have that now, can we?

I only drive to go to classes, work, and errands. I make sure to do my errands all at the same time as not to waste gas. I stopped taking joyrides, which are very nice in the beautiful state of west virginia. Keep all the lights off in my house except for the one in the room i'm in. Got better light bulbs and I'm about to start recycling.

i bought a brand new 4runner sport edition. the energy i save myself driving this nice vehicle pays itself back three fold as i arrive to work, meetings, etc...more refreshed than my 06 camry

More than Al Gore is doing.

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Al Gore, who was criticized for high electric bills at his Tennessee mansion, has completed a host of improvements to make the home more energy efficient, and a building-industry group has praised the house as one of the nation's most environmentally friendly.

The former vice president has installed solar panels, a rainwater-collection system and geothermal heating. He also replaced all incandescent lights with compact fluorescent or light-emitting diode bulbs.

"Short of tearing it down and staring anew, I don't know how it could have been rated any higher," said Kim Shinn of the U.S. Green Building Council, which gave the house its second-highest rating for sustainable design.

Gore gets green kudos for home renovation - Environment - MSNBC.com

I drive a Camry, and I vote for the party that has the balls to talk about energy conservation.

I switched all my lightbulbs to energy efficient bulbs last year

I recycle

I take the bus to work 3 days a week

I map out my errands so I'm not wasting gas

I keep my oil changed and my tires inflated properly

I use the cloth bags for grocery shopping

I don't buy bottled water..I drink tap water

I keep my AC set at 78 year round

I don't run the AC in my car 95% of the time

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Al Gore, who was criticized for high electric bills at his Tennessee mansion, has completed a host of improvements to make the home more energy efficient, and a building-industry group has praised the house as one of the nation's most environmentally friendly.

The former vice president has installed solar panels, a rainwater-collection system and geothermal heating. He also replaced all incandescent lights with compact fluorescent or light-emitting diode bulbs.

"Short of tearing it down and staring anew, I don't know how it could have been rated any higher," said Kim Shinn of the U.S. Green Building Council, which gave the house its second-highest rating for sustainable design.

Gore gets green kudos for home renovation - Environment - MSNBC.com

Let me know when he parks his jet and stops running around the globe blowing hot air.

Forum List

Back