What Are You Buying For Christmas and How Are You Shopping?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I probably bought about 1/4 of my purchases last year online. I think I'll buy even more this year. With free shipping and the deals, it's a no brainer to me. I've got to admit though, I tried to shop for a dishwasher, but that wouldn't work. From the pics and descriptions I couldn't tell if it had what I wanted:
*silverware on door
*easy moveable top rack-easy being the prime consideration.

With the age my children are and the limited number of 'outsiders' I have to buy for, online shopping will work for me.
*cd's/dvds
*computer software
*books
*purses
*kitchen gadgets and small appliances

I'm not spending as much this year, one way to make sure I don't is to do it online. My only decision now is whether or not to get each gift wrapped or do it myself. :laugh:

most of the adults get the gift certificates because most of them already buy whatever they want anyway. Its too hard to buy for most of the adults because they have so much stuff, that we never know if they already have it, like DVDs and craft stuff.

My dad and step-mom are getting Vikings tix, providing I can still get them from a co-worker who's selling his seasonal tickets game by game. (not all my co-workers are completely useless)

kids are getting various books & games, my sisters are getting girly stuff from bath&body works.

I got Tim tickets to the one and only show the Trans-Siberian Orchestra is playing here in the cities this year, along with the box set of their CD's.

nathan got a toy that we had to pull him away from (kicking and screaming of course) last time we were at wal-mart. i also got him a new leap-pad story.

I'm getting very burned out with the pressure to 'spend, spend spend!' we see. I love capitalism, but really - this insane pressure put upon people to spend thousands and thousands each year on 'gifts' for their family is starting to wear on my nerves. Remember when Christmas was about (gasp!) hanging out w/ family and friends for a good time?

Ya---That and the fact that bully has me so intimidated that I'm afraid to make any purchases this time of the year because it will mean that I don't pay any attention to the real meaning of Christmas. :rotflmao:

dmp said:
I'm getting very burned out with the pressure to 'spend, spend spend!' we see. I love capitalism, but really - this insane pressure put upon people to spend thousands and thousands each year on 'gifts' for their family is starting to wear on my nerves. Remember when Christmas was about (gasp!) hanging out w/ family and friends for a good time?

which is why i started MAKING some of my gifts rather than buying most of them. Last year, I made home-made candles for everyone, with different themes for each person's tastes. Most of the glassware I used was found at a thrift store for practically pennies. Like, my grandma collects coca-cola stuff, so I found some huge old fashioned coca-cola glasses, and mixed colored gel-wax to look brown like pop does, and used a cool-burning wick so she could use it. I made it smell like cherries, which was the closest of anything I could find to any pop-like scent. I give her free 'refills' any time she wants! Problem is, the candle-making gets kind of messy, and my son often has to be at grandma's before i can do it, because of the hot wax.

the year before, I made handmade soaps and bath stuff. this was more for the women/girls in my family because guys are more apt to use reg soap instead of perfumed glycerine soaps.

Had a brain storm this morning. The parents down in Phoenix have Dish Network for TV. They have the basic line up which does NOT include the Fox News Channel. My Paw the other night told me that Ma will sit and watch CNN for hours. He says he can't stand it, but she say's she wants to know what's going on. I can understand my mother's want to know what's going on, but my Dad and I both agree, her sitting and watching CNN is BAD! I can't hardly take LOOKING at that channel as I SURF PAST IT! Stinking liberal bull shit. So with the "big black X over the V.P.'s face" incident fresh in my mind, and now the firing of the CNN employee that said they were just expressing their freedom of speech, I called and offered to pay the difference in their monthly Dish bill INDEFINITELY for the upgrade to the next package that INCLUDES the Fox News Channel as my Christmas present to them.

They accepted, and should have the new programming turned on in a matter of minutes.

Life is good. :thup:

Pale Rider said:
Had a brain storm this morning. The parents down in Phoenix have Dish Network for TV. They have the basic line up which does NOT include the Fox News Channel. My Paw the other night told me that Ma will sit and watch CNN for hours. He says he can't stand it, but she say's she wants to know what's going on. I can understand my mother's want to know what's going on, but my Dad and I both agree, her sitting and watching CNN is BAD! I can't hardly take LOOKING at that channel as I SURF PAST IT! Stinking liberal bull shit. So with the "big black X over the V.P.'s face" incident fresh in my mind, and now the firing of the CNN employee that said they were just expressing their freedom of speech, I called and offered to pay the difference in their monthly Dish bill INDEFINITELY for the upgrade to the next package that INCLUDES the Fox News Channel as my Christmas present to them.

They accepted, and should have the new programming turned on in a matter of minutes.

Life is good. :thup:

I get both and to be honest...Fox news has been a little wishy washee as is CNN as of late...who can we trust anymore?

Mr. P said:
Online for me whenever possible, which is about 99% of the time. I don't "shop" anyway really, I buy at the best price. If ya don't give me list, well you know.

here is my wish list or gift of the day...beat Bonnies Split pea soup receipe!...I have a modest income and look for the gift that will help me get buy!...any suggestions minus sarcasim! :cheers2:

archangel said:
here is my wish list or gift of the day...beat Bonnies Split pea soup receipe!...I have a modest income and look for the gift that will help me get buy!...any suggestions minus sarcasim! :cheers2:
I have a recipe for a cheesy corn chowder. It has potatoes, ham, cheese, bacon, onion, carrots, corn and a few other things in it. It’s very good. I’d have to type it up for you. Do you want it?

Im doing gift certificates this year for most of my extended family, this way they can get what they want, and for my close relatives it will be books, DVD's, glasswear, jewelry, and clothes.

I will be doing a lot of it online especially since I saw the stampedes on TV culminating with a woman losing her wig as she lay getting stepped on and no thanks :eek2:

Mr. P said:
I have a recipe for a cheesy corn chowder. It has potatoes, ham, cheese, bacon, onion, carrots, corn and a few other things in it. It’s very good. I’d have to type it up for you. Do you want it?

as the old saying goes a Army moves on it's stomache...so I will try your receipe and compare it to foxy Bonnies...we will see whos stomache goes farther...although ya are a vet and I respect that...Bonnie does have my attention...so give it your best shot...let the best one win! :beer:

archangel said:
as the old saying goes a Army moves on it's stomache...so I will try your receipe and compare it to foxy Bonnies...we will see whos stomache goes farther...although ya are a vet and I respect that...Bonnie does have my attention...so give it your best shot...let the best one win! :beer:
It'll take me awhile to get it typed..I'll post it in the food section.

Bonnie said:
Im doing gift certificates this year for most of my extended family, this way they can get what they want, and for my close relatives it will be books, DVD's, glasswear, jewelry, and clothes.

I will be doing a lot of it online especially since I saw the stampedes on TV culminating with a woman losing her wig as she lay getting stepped on and no thanks :eek2:

of you cooking Split Pea soup...I will be a "Happy camper"! :thanks:

I still shop the old fashioned way.. In stores and malls.. With money... Pick it out myself, bring it home myself, wrap it myself.. :D

Mr. P said:
EeeeeeeeeeWWWWWWWWWWwwwwwww, yer such a .....GIRL! ;)

Funny.. I've always been told that's one of my more endearing qualities... :thup:

Shattered said:
I still shop the old fashioned way.. In stores and malls.. With money... Pick it out myself, bring it home myself, wrap it myself.. :D

Ill pay you to shop for me LOL

but the wrapping Ill do as that is fun for me. I get fancy with the paper and the bow making, it's my way of being artistic.. :eek:

Forum List

Back