What Are the Differences between Republicans and Democrats?

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
A Democrat or a Republican?
By Larry Elder, Yahoo News
January 17, 2008

"I'm writing to you on behalf of my son. In the simplest form, what are the main differences between today's Democrats and Republicans? I get too complicated with my explanations. I don't think these kids really know the difference and just vote for a candidate because he is young or female, etc. Can you help?"

Sure.

What Republicans Believe, What Democrats Believe

Republicans believe hard work wins, and government should allow you — to the fullest extent possible — to keep what you earn. Democrats believe that success results from luck, chance and happenstance, and therefore a just government takes from those who have and gives to those who do not.

Republicans believe in a colorblind society determined by drive, work ethic and talent. Democrats want a color-coordinated society. This explains the support for race and gender-based preferences to "correct" past sins and to create "diversity."

Republicans believe discrimination to fix previous discrimination remains discrimination, and that all a government can be is just in its own time. Democrats wish to use government to "rectify" past wrongs, which they hold responsible for today's "inequities."

for full article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/uc/20080117/cm_uc_crlelx/op_244983

January 17, 2008
"I'm writing to you on behalf of my son. In the simplest form, what are the main differences between today's Democrats and Republicans? I get too complicated with my explanations. I don't think these kids really know the difference and just vote for a candidate because he is young or female, etc. Can you help?"

The difference between the GOP and the Dems is that, in general and as a whole, the GOP is moderately liberal party, and the Dems are a less moderately liberal party. Both lean to the left, the difference is in how far.

I see it in basic terms.

Dems believe everything is relative, i.e., right, wrong, etc., and nobody can claim anything is right or wrong.

Reps believe (this isn't to say they ARE) in morality and distinctions between that which is right, and that which is wrong.

Added an adjective.

Conservative republicans believe:

People who aren't CRs are bad
The earth is meant to be pillaged, it's ending soon anyway
Even though it was inside trading, taxing it wouldn't be fair
Shipping jobs off shore is a good thing for my bottom line
Tax shelters are a fact of life for some
Environments come and environment go who cares
Guns don't kill people plus I have a metal detector
It's fair that I make millions while you get minimum wage God knows I need it
Dictatorships are good as long I can make money there
Medical care is only for those who can afford it
Church worship is great, my third wife goes sometimes too
Gays choose to be gay, they need to respect marriage, right honey
Government is bad but government subsidies are good for me
Welfare is only appreciated and used properly by the rich
Strict constructionist judges agree with all of the above

Liberal democrats believe:

We're all sailing on this ship together for this brief moment, enjoy it, and share as best you can, oh, and question it too.

"Liberals demand that the social order should in principle be capable of explaining itself at the tribunal of each person's understanding." Jeremy Waldron

Midcan:

You forgot the one where liberal democrats believe that people who aren't liberal democrats are bad. That's a trait both groups share.

January 17, 2008

Sure.

What Republicans Believe, What Democrats Believe

Republicans believe hard work wins, and government should allow you — to the fullest extent possible — to keep what you earn. Democrats believe that success results from luck, chance and happenstance, and therefore a just government takes from those who have and gives to those who do not.

Republicans believe in a colorblind society determined by drive, work ethic and talent. Democrats want a color-coordinated society. This explains the support for race and gender-based preferences to "correct" past sins and to create "diversity."

Republicans believe discrimination to fix previous discrimination remains discrimination, and that all a government can be is just in its own time. Democrats wish to use government to "rectify" past wrongs, which they hold responsible for today's "inequities."

for full article:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/uc/20080117/cm_uc_crlelx/op_244983

JUST 2 MANAGEMENT TEAMS VYING FOR THE CEO POSITION OF USA INCORPORATED

Larry Elder is perhaps the most intelligent person writing and on radio today.

You think so?

I could better put it this way...

Republicans think they have a direct line to the heavenly father. Democrats think people are entitled to their own beliefs, realize that whatever they believe, they aren't the only ones on the planet and there are others with different beliefs, but in any event believe in the separation of church and state, not theocracy.

Republicans believe that if you're poor, that's your fault and it's divine retribution so you and your kids should starve to death if you aren't capable of doing better in life than a minimum wage job. Democrats believe in job training and day care to help people rise above when they're having a bad time.

Republicans believe that if you speak spanish, you shouldn't be in this country. Democrats take seriously the words on the statue of liberty.

Republicans believe that white men should run things. Democrats believe everyone is capable of running things if they're good enough and smart enough.

Republicans believe that corporations should be able to do whatever they want. Democrats believe in things like OSHA.

Republicans believe that anyone who disagrees with a republican president is committing treason. Democrats believe dissent and disagreement are the foundation of this country.

Republicans believe that girls who get pregnant should be punished by being forced to carry children they aren't ready for and conceived by mistake. Democrats believe that abortion should be safe, readily available and infrequent.

Republicans believe that if you tell teens not to have sex, they'll listen. Democrats know that isnt the case and that they need information about safe sex and contraception.

I could go on... but you get my drift. We can all engage in narrow, silly, stereotyping that aggrandizes our own values

You think so?
Republicans think they have a direct line to the heavenly father...
Republicans believe that if you're poor, that's your fault and it's divine retribution....
What about republicans that dont believe in God?

Democrats believe in job training and day care to help people rise above when they're having a bad time.
They also believe in forcing others to pay for it.

Republicans believe that white men should run things. Democrats believe everyone is capable of running things if they're good enough and smart enough...
...and liberal enough.

Republicans believe that anyone who disagrees with a republican president is committing treason. Democrats believe dissent and disagreement are the foundation of this country...
...unless you;re dissenting against a Democratic president.

Republicans believe that girls who get pregnant should be punished by being forced to carry children they aren't ready for and conceived by mistake. Democrats believe that...
...the innocent child should be punished for the sins of its mother.

Republicans believe that if you tell teens not to have sex, they'll listen. Democrats know that isnt the case and that they need information about safe sex and contraception...
...while refuing to even consider the idea that children should also be taught basic firearm safety, something that might very wll save their lives.

What about republicans that dont believe in God?

They also believe in forcing others to pay for it.

...and liberal enough.

...unless you;re dissenting against a Democratic president.

...the innocent child should be punished for the sins of its mother.

...while refuing to even consider the idea that children should also be taught basic firearm safety, something that might very wll save their lives.

I wasn't writing because I think those things are accurate. My point was that the article was absurd.

THat's sort of funny, because I just commented you were shallow in another thread, as well.

So the consensus is..Jillian is shallow.

But most bigots are.

You think so?

I could better put it this way...

Republicans think they have a direct line to the heavenly father. Democrats think people are entitled to their own beliefs, realize that whatever they believe, they aren't the only ones on the planet and there are others with different beliefs, but in any event believe in the separation of church and state, not theocracy.

Republicans believe that if you're poor, that's your fault and it's divine retribution so you and your kids should starve to death if you aren't capable of doing better in life than a minimum wage job. Democrats believe in job training and day care to help people rise above when they're having a bad time.

Republicans believe that if you speak spanish, you shouldn't be in this country. Democrats take seriously the words on the statue of liberty.

Republicans believe that white men should run things. Democrats believe everyone is capable of running things if they're good enough and smart enough.

Republicans believe that corporations should be able to do whatever they want. Democrats believe in things like OSHA.

Republicans believe that anyone who disagrees with a republican president is committing treason. Democrats believe dissent and disagreement are the foundation of this country.

Republicans believe that girls who get pregnant should be punished by being forced to carry children they aren't ready for and conceived by mistake. Democrats believe that abortion should be safe, readily available and infrequent.

Republicans believe that if you tell teens not to have sex, they'll listen. Democrats know that isnt the case and that they need information about safe sex and contraception.

I could go on... but you get my drift. We can all engage in narrow, silly, stereotyping that aggrandizes our own values

Easy chica, I meant in general, not necessarily this particular article, though I did enjoy the line I quoted. I don't believe that the differences are that great, nor do I believe that they are so clear cut, especially where moderates like myself are concerned.

Heh... I'm sure. :cool:

Thought my version made the point, though. ;)

It did, I almost replied point by point.

The best (or at least most amusing) definition of the differences I have found to date goes something like this:

A conservative is a liberal who has never been arrested. A liberal is a conservative who has never been robbed.

Forum List

Back