Watching saturday matinee double features on TV while staying with my grandparents. They used to air in the afternoon after cartoons.

Elvis
John Wayne
Shirley Temple
Jerry Lewis

My Mom & I would do that often. I've seen nearly all the movies associated with the stars you mentioned, as well as Ma & Pa Kettle movies, Our Gang, Lassie, National Velvet, Black Stallion, Flicka series, etc
Yep. I remember seeing all of the old Godzilla /creature of the black lagoon or related monster movies that way too. Not to mention all of the movies with Haley Mills in them plus many others.

Just as an aside...I just watched National Velvet with my mom yesterday...along with Miracle in the rain. :)

The earliest in memory??? Had to have been early 60's movie about people inside of a giant bee hive, but can't remember the name or find it at the moment,,,

I believe you're referring to Mysterious Island. One of my favorite movies. :)

yes I think that's it........damn thing gave me nightmares

I remember watching the Killer Bee's with a very young Al Uncer jr...long before his racing days. Hated that movie.

Still hate Bee's too.

creature-from-the-black-lagoon-movie-poster-1954-1020199795.jpg

Probably the first movie I can remember

The first scary movie I can remember seeing in the theater was The Blob! Steve McQueen's first leading role. I don't know how I got to see it.. I guess they didn't restrict by age like they do now. For years, it was the scariest movie I'd ever seen.

I'm talking about movies you were shown (i.e., by a parent or sibling) when you were too young to choose what movie to watch. These aren't necessarily the most nostalgic movies for me, but they're some of my earliest memories that had the biggest impact on me at the time.

1. King Kong (1933):

I never saw this movie in theaters, but my dad had this on beta max when I was a kid. I used to watch this movie over and over and over again after my dad first showed it to me.

2. Modern Times (1936):

I have MANY memories of watching Chaplin movies as a kid. My dad owned just about all of them on beta max. Chaplin may have been a pinko commie child molester, but he made some very memorable movies. My favorite of his movies is definitely Modern Times, and it had the biggest impact on me as a kid.

3. E.T. (1982):

According to my parents, this is the first movie they took me to as a kid. While I have many memories watching this on video, I don't remember seeing this in theaters. According to my parents, the movie had such an impact on me that I said "goodbye E.T." as we walked out of the theater or something.

4. Snow White (1937):

This may be a false memory, but I have this memory of seeing this on a school field trip as a kid. Obviously, I wasn't alive when it first came out, so it must've been a theater re-release or something if it did happen.

5. Mysterious Island (1961):

I think we had a VHS copy of this movie. I used to watch it over and over and over again. It remains one of my all time favorite movies from when I was a kid.

My grandmother and I would ride the Yellow streetcar downtown to eat at Clifton's Cafeteria. Afterwards. we would go to the two cinemas that showed newsreels.

latest

The movie that always sticks in my mind was seeing Fantasia on the big screen.

My earliest movie memories go back to the early 1940s and a little South Brooklyn theater called The Minerva. Every Saturday afternoon my brother and two cousins lined up at noon to pay our 12-cent "kids only" admission to this local 100-seat playhouse where we'd watch two full-length feature films, one "Short Subject," two cartoons, and "Coming Attractions," several hours of diversion which afforded a full afternoons' relief for our overworked parents.

Our behavior was monitored by a chubby little woman in a white uniform dress with a big badge and a big flashlight. She was the "Matron" who labored to maintain control, which she sometimes did by slapping some belligerent hell-raiser around and threatening to ". . . call the manager and kick your ass right out of here!"

I don't recall the names of any the black & white movies of that era but there were a lot of Westerns with Randolph Scott, Lash LaRue, and Roy Rogers, and comedies with Laurel & Hardy, Abbott & Costello, and The Three Stooges. This was during WW-II so there were war movies and the Short Subjects were usually documentaries of military activities. The usually noisy audience always became still during these military shorts because most of us had fathers and other relatives who were serving in the Pacific or Europe and we were hoping to maybe see them.

There was no snack stand in The Minerva but there was a noisy little popcorn machine in the back that took about ten minutes to grind out a bag of salty, buttered popcorn. There always was a line of chattering goofers waiting to drop their dimes in that contraption and its noise never stopped.

Nostalgia.

Last edited:
I'm talking about movies you were shown (i.e., by a parent or sibling) when you were too young to choose what movie to watch. These aren't necessarily the most nostalgic movies for me, but they're some of my earliest memories that had the biggest impact on me at the time.

1. King Kong (1933):

I never saw this movie in theaters, but my dad had this on beta max when I was a kid. I used to watch this movie over and over and over again after my dad first showed it to me.

2. Modern Times (1936):

I have MANY memories of watching Chaplin movies as a kid. My dad owned just about all of them on beta max. Chaplin may have been a pinko commie child molester, but he made some very memorable movies. My favorite of his movies is definitely Modern Times, and it had the biggest impact on me as a kid.

3. E.T. (1982):

According to my parents, this is the first movie they took me to as a kid. While I have many memories watching this on video, I don't remember seeing this in theaters. According to my parents, the movie had such an impact on me that I said "goodbye E.T." as we walked out of the theater or something.

4. Snow White (1937):

This may be a false memory, but I have this memory of seeing this on a school field trip as a kid. Obviously, I wasn't alive when it first came out, so it must've been a theater re-release or something if it did happen.

5. Mysterious Island (1961):

I think we had a VHS copy of this movie. I used to watch it over and over and over again. It remains one of my all time favorite movies from when I was a kid.

Drive in Movie- I remember it because we basically never went to the movies and never to drive ins. it was Cary Grant and Leslie Caron in Father Goose.

I remember Leslie Caron got drunk. And they fell in love. And they were on an island.

Forum List

Back