What are "corporations" if not people?

Corporations are organizations that provide investors limited liability. They are an artificial construct to pool peoples money and limit their risk. Those constructs don't eat, breath, nor sleep.

and the above is exactly right... or was until citizen's united

in fact, they exist specifically to absolve their owners of personal liability and their "personhood".

they were never supposed to be 'people' for 1st amendment purposes.

If corporations are people how is it fair those people get to have the rights as people and the rights as corporations too?

that gives the "people" who are the corporations extra rights non corporation people dont get.

dont you get that

Actually--corporations do not have full citizenship
They can contribute to a campaign, but they cannot vote.
Who is the corporation is a more trying question.

Is it the owners, the Ceo and the managaing board--does it include all persons that either work or own part of the corporation? Who in the corp decides who to contribute to and why?

I find the above questions interesting but not problematic in terms of corporations contributing to a campaign if all people concerned are american citizens themselves.

I find it no different than Unions contributiiong to campaigns. The difference I see is that one entity is for-profit, and the other supposed to be non-profit. You have to tell us why a for-profit organization should be barred from contributing to a campaign. Not explain how corps are different from individual citizens.

In many ways, the argument you pose about Corps can be levied at Unions and other non-profiorgs--should they also be banned from contributiing?

yes it is a good point and it elivates the conversation.

if it is a non profit it should be allowed to give unless it is religiously tied.

otherwise you cant have seperation of church and state.

For profit entities dont have the countrys best interest in heart.

They place profit over country.

churches place church over county.

Unions have ONLY one purpose and that is to protect workers.

I dont think you can rationally say Unions place anything but people over country.

since the country was designed as being of , for and by the people that is NOT a conflict of interst is it.

are you going to comment on my post?

people's money, not turnip's money.. corporations are people without people corporations would have no reason to exist. Thank You

Seeing how Obama is trying to make the arguement that Romney is solely responsible for everything bad Bain did, how can shitbag liberals argue that corporations aren't people?

The libs have not thought their argument through as of yet--also, given that corps are a form of representation for the capitalist system, their political hatred for them is driving them a bit out of control.

Where does the buck stop? He wants to be prez. Would the buck ever get to him? Not under his present behavior.

Certainly the buck didn't stop with the CEO of Bain, between 1999 and 2003. In spite of being the signatory of SEC documents and fund purchases during that time, he claims he'd already quit.

people's money, not turnip's money.. corporations are people without people corporations would have no reason to exist. Thank You

and those people in the corporation already have American rights if they deserve them

Corporations have a legal personage. This means that a corporation can be sued in court and can defend themselves. Corporate activity can be regulated. Corporations pay taxes, and when the money is distributed, the people who receive it must also pay taxes which is corporate double taxation.

If corporations had no legal rights, they would not have any legal obligations either. There would be no corporate legal obligation not to pollute a waterway for instance. No one could sue a corporation. A corporation could not commit a criminal act. Most importantly, they could not be taxed at all. None of the profits made in foreign countries would be subject to a cent of tax.

It doesn't give the people in corporations rights extra rights. They have the same rights as everyone else, one of which is to be able to sue a corporation for wrongdoing without actually having to identify who, in that corporation, did anything wrong.

Corporations as legal entities have standing in the courts. They are not people.

A corporation gets taxed. When people in a corporation get taxed, it is as individual separate from the corporation. The individual tax is not a tax on the corporation.

There is no such thing as a double corporate taxation. The double taxation argument is an imaginary construct meant to confuse and distort.

In the court system: Justice is blind. Evidence can be thrown out as inadmissible. Not guilty does not equal innocent in our system. Legal entities are not people.

Corporations have a legal personage. This means that a corporation can be sued in court and can defend themselves. Corporate activity can be regulated. Corporations pay taxes, and when the money is distributed, the people who receive it must also pay taxes which is corporate double taxation.

If corporations had no legal rights, they would not have any legal obligations either. There would be no corporate legal obligation not to pollute a waterway for instance. No one could sue a corporation. A corporation could not commit a criminal act. Most importantly, they could not be taxed at all. None of the profits made in foreign countries would be subject to a cent of tax.

It doesn't give the people in corporations rights extra rights. They have the same rights as everyone else, one of which is to be able to sue a corporation for wrongdoing without actually having to identify who, in that corporation, did anything wrong.

Corporations as legal entities have standing in the courts. They are not people.

A corporation gets taxed. When people in a corporation get taxed, it is as individual separate from the corporation. The individual tax is not a tax on the corporation.

There is no such thing as a double corporate taxation. The double taxation argument is an imaginary construct meant to confuse and distort.

In the court system: Justice is blind. Evidence can be thrown out as inadmissible. Not guilty does not equal innocent in our system. Legal entities are not people.

It is? So taxing the profits before I get a return on my investment isnt a tax I pay?

Laughable.

If corporations are people how is it fair those people get to have the rights as people and the rights as corporations too?

that gives the "people" who are the corporations extra rights non corporation people dont get.

dont you get that

Actually--corporations do not have full citizenship
They can contribute to a campaign, but they cannot vote.
Who is the corporation is a more trying question.

Is it the owners, the Ceo and the managaing board--does it include all persons that either work or own part of the corporation? Who in the corp decides who to contribute to and why?

I find the above questions interesting but not problematic in terms of corporations contributing to a campaign if all people concerned are american citizens themselves.

I find it no different than Unions contributiiong to campaigns. The difference I see is that one entity is for-profit, and the other supposed to be non-profit. You have to tell us why a for-profit organization should be barred from contributing to a campaign. Not explain how corps are different from individual citizens.

In many ways, the argument you pose about Corps can be levied at Unions and other non-profiorgs--should they also be banned from contributiing?

There are huge differences between Unions and Corporations. There are differences between profit and non profit corporations.

So you'd be OK with individual owners being fully liable for the actions of corporations. I wonder if you'd change your mind if you were drug into court because your 401K owned part of the BP oil spill.

It is? So taxing the profits before I get a return on my investment isnt a tax I pay?

Laughable.

It is not a tax the individual pays, correct. Just as tax dollars aren't an individuals. A corporation's profits do not belong to you -- they belong to a legal entity. The legal entity is taxed. It is the same principle that rules a corporation can make political contributions.

how stupid can you be?

Last edited:

New Topics

Forum List

Back