What Antivirus Software Do You Use?

Zoom-boing

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
East Japip
So we've always used Norton and never had a problem, until now. We installed Norton 360 about two months ago (after uninstalling the previous expired version, as required) and now every time the system performs a background scan the computer freezes and the only option is a hard reboot. This is a huge PITA as the damn thing scans whenever the computer is idle for a short amount of time. We cannot get into the background scan setting to change it. Anyone know how? Fuck. We've searched around for fixes and will try one tonight -- something about downloading a dmp or something, running that, uninstalling Norton then reinstalling. Crap I don't know, the hubs can do it, this is not my forte but I have little faith it will work.

What do you run? Tell me about it.

Norton has too many conflict issues with other programs. It also uses too much space. I use Kaspersky. Have used it for 3years and find it very good. If you get Kaspersky you have to remove Norton first. Thay are very good at keeping up dates for malware & viruses.

Most anti-virus programs are costly and don't work very well if at all.

They give people fals sense of security and allow people to be lazy on the
web and develop poor surfing practices.

And many bog down your system resources so that your Quad Core system
feels like a TRS80 Model III computer!

Don't waste time with them. Here is what works.

Programs like --

Deep Freeze
Sandboxie
Keyscrambler

and even using virtual partiions.

These WORK! As long as you start with a CLEAN system and only install TRUSTED applications from KNOWN vendor websites and soruces.

Don't waste your time with other security software like Norton or Mcafee.

I just put this sticker on my computers.

images

So we've always used Norton and never had a problem, until now. We installed Norton 360 about two months ago (after uninstalling the previous expired version, as required) and now every time the system performs a background scan the computer freezes and the only option is a hard reboot. This is a huge PITA as the damn thing scans whenever the computer is idle for a short amount of time. We cannot get into the background scan setting to change it. Anyone know how? Fuck. We've searched around for fixes and will try one tonight -- something about downloading a dmp or something, running that, uninstalling Norton then reinstalling. Crap I don't know, the hubs can do it, this is not my forte but I have little faith it will work.

What do you run? Tell me about it.

Norton is and always was a pain in the ass.

Try this. My engineer swears by it

2011 Kaspersky Comparison Chart | Kaspersky Lab United States

In searching around for a fix I came upon someone who put Norton on 'silent mode' for 1 day. This stops the internal scans and such. I've done this many times (it prompts me that the computer hasn't received the latest updates and I can go get them and it also doesn't affect the security itself). Now it seems to perform the scans fully and without screwing up the computer. Go figure.

We will be looking at something else so when this Norton expires we have other options. Thanks for all the input!

Last edited: