What AntiVirus do you use?

my latest computer had an freebie Norton offer

think i am running it

Ever hear the saying "nothing is free"...well...

Well, it's free until they want you to renew the services. Then they start charging you. Lol. I just try to avoid shady websites and that's worked for me. I have my limited Windows protection which tells me if a website I'm about to enter is "suspicious" and I listen to it and don't go there. Lol. :)
No, like has already been posted you simply choose the free version again. It's in the update/upgrade window just not all that obvious.

Well, there is always a thing that pops up when it's scanning your computer that tells you that you need to buy the full service to have full protection, so they might give you some protection for free but not 100% (on the ones I've used as freebies).
Frequently you can turn off the popups in the program settings, those that wont let you have a time amount setting will let you set the popup time to one second.

What I mean is that with the freebies, you might get some protection but you don't get everything unless you buy it (with the ones I've used).

I appreciate the thumbs up but I can guarantee Uncensored, Iamwho, Harry and a couple of others probably know a whole lot more about this stuff than I do, I believe they do it for a living. Comparatively I'm a low level geek, they speak Geekinese fairly fluently....... :D

Don't count yourself short.
I would say you know more on the desktop side of things than I.
If you want to know how to build a network from the ground up, setup servers, database components....secure your network like Fort Knox..or how to hack into someone else's network...retrieve any info you desire from someone else's computer without them having a freaking clue...I'm your guy.

(p.s. - I wear a white hat, it is important to know how criminals work to properly defend from them)
Great, what we need is a program that not only discovers hacks (specifically gamer hacks) and give you control of their settings....... Set it so every time they pull the trigger it shoots them, slows em down like molasses, turns off their sensors so they can't see anyone...... :D

Well...actually...if you can get one of them in a private game scenario...you can access their IP address.
heh...

think i am running it

Well, it's free until they want you to renew the services. Then they start charging you. Lol. I just try to avoid shady websites and that's worked for me. I have my limited Windows protection which tells me if a website I'm about to enter is "suspicious" and I listen to it and don't go there. Lol. :)
No, like has already been posted you simply choose the free version again. It's in the update/upgrade window just not all that obvious.

I've had no protection from any antivirus software for like a year now, and I haven't had any problems. I don't visit too many sites. A couple of game sites, Youtube, some news sites, and here.
If you're using Chrome or Firefox go to extensions (add ons), install WOT (Web of Trust), it's not 100% perfect but it will show you what sites are safe and which ones to avoid. Avast also has a web reputation feature that will also warn you when you click on a know attack site.

Well, there is always a thing that pops up when it's scanning your computer that tells you that you need to buy the full service to have full protection, so they might give you some protection for free but not 100% (on the ones I've used as freebies).
Frequently you can turn off the popups in the program settings, those that wont let you have a time amount setting will let you set the popup time to one second.

What I mean is that with the freebies, you might get some protection but you don't get everything unless you buy it (with the ones I've used).
This is true but I've found with the extensions/add ons in the browsers you don't need most of that. Not to mention Windows has it's own Firewall, not the greatest but it works.

think i am running it

I've had no protection from any antivirus software for like a year now, and I haven't had any problems. I don't visit too many sites. A couple of game sites, Youtube, some news sites, and here.
If you're using Chrome or Firefox go to extensions (add ons), install WOT (Web of Trust), it's not 100% perfect but it will show you what sites are safe and which ones to avoid. Avast also has a web reputation feature that will also warn you when you click on a know attack site.

Maybe it already does. :dunno: Not sure. I am NOT a computer geek. Lol. The reason why I call Geek Squad to come out whenever I am having some big issues.

I think I trust Ringel - I'll give him a call when I'm ready to make changes...

You definitely can trust Ringel. He knows his stuff.
I appreciate the thumbs up but I can guarantee Uncensored, Iamwho, Harry and a couple of others probably know a whole lot more about this stuff than I do, I believe they do it for a living. Comparatively I'm a low level geek, they speak Geekinese fairly fluently....... :D

Maybe, but I don't know them. :)
Well like iamwho said my knowledge is primarily desktop/laptop related and I'm always learning, a hobby that turned into a small money maker for me building and repairing/refurbishing computers.

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
I don't have the patience for such things. I hate computer problems. Sometimes when I try to fix things myself, I end up making it worse. It's worth the money to call the Geek Squad, so I don't have to annoy myself. For some reason, computer issues make me super annoyed. :blowup:

Maybe it already does. :dunno: Not sure. I am NOT a computer geek. Lol. The reason why I call Geek Squad to come out whenever I am having some big issues.
If you see this or something similar then yes it's working.

Get%20Me%20Out%20of%20Here.JPG

If you see this DO NOT click on the link!!!!!!!! It's a fake and will infect your computer.

capture17.png

Don't count yourself short.
I would say you know more on the desktop side of things than I.
If you want to know how to build a network from the ground up, setup servers, database components....secure your network like Fort Knox..or how to hack into someone else's network...retrieve any info you desire from someone else's computer without them having a freaking clue...I'm your guy.

(p.s. - I wear a white hat, it is important to know how criminals work to properly defend from them)
How do I get rid of the live feed to the Tijuana donkey shows?

If you see this DO NOT click on the link!!!!!!!! It's a fake and will infect your computer.

capture17.png

I know!!! I'm not a complete moron! Geesh. :lol:

capture17.png

You'd be surprised. The vast majority of users have no clue, they know how to turn it on, check email, surf the web (generally in an unsafe manner), write a document, print it and turn the computer off. Some even know how to call a computer repair person when they break the "cup holder".......... :eusa_whistle:

capture17.png

You'd be surprised. The vast majority of users have no clue, they know how to turn it on, check email, surf the web (generally in an unsafe manner), write a document, print it and turn the computer off. Some even know how to call a computer repair person when they break the "cup holder".......... :eusa_whistle:

Well, I already said that when a "warning" shows up about a particular website, I avoid that site. :) I just don't like the bother of trying to fix things that go wrong. I don't have the time, nor the patience.

capture17.png

Well, I already said that when a "warning" shows up about a particular website, I avoid that site. :) I just don't like the bother of trying to fix things that go wrong. I don't have the time, nor the patience.
With most of the low to mid level infections it's fairly easy to fix them, simply do a restore and in most instances you're good to go, some however get into the bios and then you're screwed, that takes a pro to fix, if they can, it's much easier with the more modern systems.

capture17.png

With most of the low to mid level infections it's fairly easy to fix them, simply do a restore and in most instances you're good to go, some however get into the bios and then you're screwed, that takes a pro to fix, if they can, it's much easier with the more modern systems.

I hate computer crap. I'd just as soon smash it into bits or throw it out the nearest window! :lol: That is how annoyed I get with computer problems. That's why, before I harm my computer, I would rather just call the Geek Squad and let them handle it. It's well worth a hundred bucks to me, just so I don't have to deal with it and annoy myself! :D

capture17.png

I hate computer crap. I'd just as soon smash it into bits or throw it out the nearest window! :lol: That is how annoyed I get with computer problems. That's why, before I harm my computer, I would rather just call the Geek Squad and let them handle it. It's well worth a hundred bucks to me, just so I don't have to deal with it and annoy myself! :D
That's my wife, but instead of calling the Geek Squad I hear, "dear, you have a minute before I shoot this computer......." :lol:

I made sure she has a fast laptop as she wants it to do what she wants before she thinks about doing it....... Had to replace a keyboard before I bought her a new one. :eusa_whistle:
She's one of those who wants it to just work but after having to clean up a few infections years ago she now knows to ask me before she clicks on any popups........ If she runs into anything new that she doesn't understand she plops it down in front of me and guess who gets to figure out how to do it........ Sometimes it's simple and frustrates me to no end that she couldn't take 30 seconds to read the instructions.

think i am running it

you dont renew it

instead you dump your current one

and then reload a new free one

Forum List

Back