What An Eighth Grader Was Expected To Know In 1910

It's hard to keep scores up when 1/2 the kids in many schools don't even have parents that speak English.

100 years ago it was, you know, sort of expected that people living in the United States should be required to speak the same language.

I wonder how well internet warriors would do in teaching ESL students in elementary school.

100 years ago there were people speaking all sorts of languages. With all the immigration it was hardly a given that everyone spoke English. Then as now, the second and third generations did.

They learned English ASAP to compete in the boom of business and growth.

Things weren't translated for them.

They learned English quickly in order to achieve the American dream.

People are learning English quickly now, too. Look at the younger people. They're bilingual and their children may not learn the their grandparents' language at all. There was a lot of translating going on years ago. Very few came here knowing English. You're a victim of myopia. You're to close to the action. Over time this wave of immigrants will be no different than in the past. Worrying about Spanish signs and neighborhoods ignores the fact of ethnic, Italian, Polish, Jewish, etc. neighborhoods that have dotted our major cities for over a 100 years.

I mean we have such useful classes today. Communi...er history, sex ed....er gay studies, home ec(I say keep it to piss off the feminists) woodshop (too bad you cant beat freshmen with paddles anymore....ah...the good ole days)....and commie2...er social studies.....and math (hey outbound edumacation for the win!!!!!!!! 2+2=5 is acceptable, and gee I wonder why our students suck!)

It's nothing new. Coming up I can't remember how many times I heard, "I'm never going need, have any use, for that". Who's problem is it, when we keep hearing about the "intellectual elite" from some on the right? It devalues education and makes the people that believe it easy to lead by the nose.

Forum List

Back