What Americans really think about unions...

Another thing that irritates me is that these legislatures leaving the state. Can they not be removed for not showing up for work? In the private sector they would have all been fired. Maybe the states should look into laws to remove legislatures who run away. They were elected to serve the people and by not being in session when the law mandates it they are AWOL. If the threat was there to replace them this would not have occurred. Let the people demostrate like thay are but the legislatures need to be at work. And who is paying their hotel and food bills? Who is paying thier entertainment? It is not just Wisconsin, Indiana Dems have fled the state for 2 weeks now too.

So you think the important thing here is that the people representing the people should be punished for represnting the people.

I never like reports that show answers to polls like this that do not also show the questions (and how they were worded) as well. Pollsters are good at getting people to reply to the questions in the manner they want simply by the way the word the question and previous questions or eliminating those who will not answer the question the way they want before they get to the question. For instance, they will ask if you are a manager before they ask if you are a member of a union. A response stating that you are in management ends the call. A response that you are not a manager moves you further along in the call until they get to the point where they ask how you feel about collective bargaining. By that time, they basically know what you are going to say.

And it goes both ways depending on the agenda of the organization that has commissioned the poll.

Immie

All I know about unions I learned when I was forced to join one.

We of course had to hire only union labor for all contracting jobs. We had to update a couple of bathrooms in a state run group home. The job for partially tiling two showers, some minor electrical work and two new toilets ended up costing the state 37K.

Here's why.

The plumber needed to access the pipes in the wall but said he couldn't cut the drywall because that was done by another union. He collected a 4 hour minimum for 10 minutes.

Called the drywall guy. He came and cut a few holes in the wall in about 15 minutes. he collected his 4 hour minimum and left.

Plumber comes back repairs pipe and installs new shower control in about 45 minutes. Collect his 4 hour minimum and leave.

Drywall guy comes back and patches holes in wall in about 30 minutes. Collects 4 hour minimum. And then every time he had to sand and mud again (usually 3 times) he got paid a 4 hour minimum.

Electrician comes in to move a switch. He tells us he cant cut the holes in the dry wall.....

Get the picture? This is why state jobs done by union slobs always cost 4 and 5 times the estimate. If I did that job myself it would have cost a couple grand and I would have been done in a couple days. Instead it took 2 months and cost 37K.

It's the biggest fucking scam going.

I, for one, get the picture.

When I worked for James River Corp in NH I had a friend who worked in the Office. She and I had dinner one night and she told me the story of the bulletin board that took three days to be hung in her office.

Day 1 - Three guys came and measured.

Day 2 - The same three guys came with the bulletin board and measured some more. They actually brought tools with em. Didn't use em but they were there.

Day 3 - The guys came back. Measured some more and actually hung the bulletin board.

Susie laughed and said, "Claudette. You and I could have hung that board in 10 minutes." Yeah we could have.

I am no fan of Unions. They actually cost me that job with James River. I was a dues paying member but I got kicked to the curb for someone without my training but higher seniorty. In the Union Seniority is all. The teachers in WI with the lowest seniority, no matter how good they are, will be the ones to get layed off. If it comes to that

Unions are good as a buffer between workers and management. They are good to make sure you, as a worker, don't get hosed by the company you work for. There are all kinds of laws on the books right now to protect you from just that happening as well. WI has laws dating from 1905 which do just that.

It certainly isn't like it was back in the beginning of the century when workers were abused big time.

Do we need unions?? I'm still on fence about that one.

So you think the important thing here is that the people representing the people should be punished for represnting the people.

No we should just little Union supporting Democrat Fleebaggers off the hook and give them a friggen raise for abandoning their JOB and the Rest of their constituents WHO AREN'T IN A UNION..

They are not representing their constituents. They are not even at work. How many public service union members do you think make up their constituent base? A very small percentage. Here in Indana other laws are being dropped that have nothing to do with public unions because of mandated time limitations. People have short memories but it will be interesting to see in the next election who gets kicked out of office.

Last edited:
What kind of a small-minded, petty asshole would begrudge a working person a decent living?

Perhaps the small minded, petty asshole who's taxes are going to be raised to pay the person his or her decent living??

Ya think??

They are not representing their constituents. They are not even at work. How many public service union members do you think make up their constituent base? A very small percentage. Here in Indana other laws are being dropped that have nothing to do with public unions because of mandated time limitations. People have short memories but it will be interesting to see in the next election who gets kicked out of office.

They did the only thing they could to represent their constituients.

They held back a vote that was SHOVING DOWN THE THROATS of the people a law that the majority of the people dont agree with.

Walker was not elected to do what ever he wanted.

He did not WIN the ownership of the state.

He won the right to represent his constituients.

He is going against their wishes.

Last edited:

They held back a vote that was SHOVING DOWN THE THROATS of the people a law that the majority of the people dont agree with.

He is going agains their wishes.

it figures you all would support your elected Representives doing something as shady as this. no real surpise there.

Another thing that irritates me is that these legislatures leaving the state. Can they not be removed for not showing up for work? In the private sector they would have all been fired. Maybe the states should look into laws to remove legislatures who run away. They were elected to serve the people and by not being in session when the law mandates it they are AWOL. If the threat was there to replace them this would not have occurred. Let the people demostrate like thay are but the legislatures need to be at work. And who is paying their hotel and food bills? Who is paying thier entertainment? It is not just Wisconsin, Indiana Dems have fled the state for 2 weeks now too.

Politics is politics

You use whatever tools are available to you. If one party is trying to push bills you do not agree with you filibuster or you insist thousands of pages be read into the record or you continually petition for an extension. There are endless tactics used by a minority party to impede the majority party.

It is done by BOTH parties

The only way to know the wishes of the constiutents is to hold another election.

The people of the state elected in a fair election all of those politicians to represent them. That is what representative governement is. It is about the people you elect to be there and discuss and vote on issues. Majority rules. If the minority rules then nothing will get done period!!!

But Obama was.

But Obama won the ownership of the country.

And the real kicker is this:

Because we all know that when it comes to Health Care Reform your reply to those constituents who are opposed to it is, "We don't give a shit what you think, we won, you lost, STFU."

Immie

Looking at the poll numbers it appears the Republicans who are trying to railroad an unpopular bill will pay a higher political price than the Democrats sitting out of state.

Nobody will pay a higher political price than Scott Walker

If one follows your premise then the only people these fleebag Dems are supporting are the Union members.

Whats that, about 7% of the population?? What about the rest of the taxpayers who are providing the money??

I guess they don't deserve an representation by their ELECTED OFFICIALS??

TDM your still a horses ass. (Sorry Red)

What kind of a small-minded, petty asshole would begrudge a working person a decent living?

I don't think anyone begrudges anyone else making a decent living. But an employer doesn't owe you a standard of living. They owe you what you're worth.

Looking at the poll numbers it appears the Republicans who are trying to railroad an unpopular bill will pay a higher political price than the Democrats sitting out of state.

Nobody will pay a higher political price than Scott Walker

Well RW I don't think I agree with you on that one.

I think that if Gov Walker gets what he wants and things improve in WI he will not only be re-elected but it will be in a landslide.

If not. Then another Dem will be in power and the status quo will be in full swing once again

I think the Dems are the big losers here. I think the lost the second they decided to boogey their way into ILL and not stand to defend their POV. I would say the same if the Reps had done the same thing. You can't defend when your not around to defend and if you don't have the guts to do that then you shouldn't be in any elected office.

Just sayin.

Forum List

Back