Agnapostate

Rookie
Sep 19, 2008
The Quake State
What American accent do you have?

8c339750.png

Your Result: The Northeast

Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

Philadelphia

The Inland North

The Midland

Boston

The South

North Central

The West

Sounds about right.

Bahhhhston? from the Nawth End ?

I grew up in MA but the test pegged me as the Northeast and probably northern NJ :eek:

Funny when my wife and I honeymooned in MT we were thought to be New Yawkahs. But i forgave them because I heart MT

I couldn't get the code to work for some reason.
The West
Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.
Being born in So Cal I used to speak like yer' typical surfer dude. But now that I'm older I speak with a drawl. People are surprised when I tell em' where I was born. In fact one gentleman said he figured I was from Virginia. A few examples of my dialect:
Oil = Ole
I = Ah
Figure = Figger
Help = Hep
My =Mah
And so on.

I grew up in MA but the test pegged me as the Northeast and probably northern NJ :eek:

Funny when my wife and I honeymooned in MT we were thought to be New Yawkahs. But i forgave them because I heart MT

The funny thing is I was posting out my ass at work and couldn't take the test because it was blocked an just assumed that's what would come up.

I just took the test and here is my result:

The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

I guess those years away in the Air Force smoothed out my accent.

The funny thing is I was posting out my ass at work and couldn't take the test because it was blocked an just assumed that's what would come up.

The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

cheer up, i'll buy you a tonic at the spa. :lol:

The Midland

lol ... tonic

Do you take baaaths?

The Midland

lol ... tonic

Do you take baaaths?

only on saturday night after my franks 'n beans.
then i go out to the plaza and do a little shopping.

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

Well.. I and everyone from my hometown can tell the difference between somebody from Philly and people who talk like we do.

But I can definitely understand that few people not from our neck of the woods can hear much difference.

I've taken a much more sensitive test about accents.

That test nailed my speech patterns within about 30 miles of where I was raised.

I have an acccent that comes from the slate-belt region of PA.

The German and Dutch remnents of the original settlers of that region (the 17th and 18th century settlers) make our accent subtly different than Philly's, to outsiders, but wildly different to our ears.

My father speaks pure Philly and believe me, he's got a very weird accent AFAIC.

Last edited:
Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.

:eek:i've lived within 20 miles of boston for most of my life except for college and a couple of years on the road. hmmmm

:eek:i've lived within 20 miles of boston for most of my life except for college and a couple of years on the road. hmmmm

Sounds like you sound like me.

Sounds like you sound like me.

the people with the heaviest boston accents all seem to live in norwood (nawhwood), ma.

Forum List

Back