What America would look like with strict gun laws

Doc91678

Rookie
Nov 13, 2012
Binghamton
By: DrJohn

Following the Newtown massacre there has been an outcry from the left for more and tougher gun laws. Sen. Dianne Feinstein has proposed another assault weapons ban with more teeth than the previous ban. Exactly what are consequences of tough gun laws? Let us construct a hypothetical place with some strict gun laws:

Let’s regulate the sale, possession and use of firearms.
Let’s regulate ammunition.
Let’s insist that those possessing firearms have a Firearm Owners Identification (FOID) card.
Let’s ban automatic firearms, short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles.
Let’s ban assault weapons.
Let’s ban magazines that can hold more than 10 or 12 rounds of ammunition.
Let’s deny gun ownership to those who have been convicted of a felony or an act of domestic violence, are the subject of an order of protection, have been convicted of assault or battery or been a patient in a mental institution within the last five years, have been adjudicated as a mental defective, or are illegal immigrants.​

Moderator Snipped
Please provide a link

Read more at:
What America would look like with strict gun laws | Flopping Aces

Last edited:
Unfortunately Chicago (whence you got the figures) is not a country. So regardless what the laws inside the city are, all you have to do is ride in from Gary or Benton Harbor and go to town.

Sorry to burst the bubble but this fantasy doesn't work. Unless Dianne Feinstein is proposing a law for the city of Chicago.

• Banned
Rahm Emanuel wants America to be like Chicago.

This is Chicago:

chicago-violent-crime-per-capita.png

chicago-property-crime-per-capita.png

Doesn't matter. You're still trying to compare a city and a country if I understand your premise. And a massive urban area at that.

The GOP wants the nation to be a dump like the south where murders and violent crime is the norm such as in Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi.

1342791235497.cached.jpg

• Banned
Unfortunately Chicago (whence you got the figures) is not a country. So regardless what the laws inside the city are, all you have to do is ride in from Gary or Benton Harbor and go to town.

Sorry to burst the bubble but this fantasy doesn't work. Unless Dianne Feinstein is proposing a law for the city of Chicago.

Hmm... Last time I looked, Federal law out trumps city and state law.

• Banned
The GOP wants the nation to be a dump like the south where murders and violent crime is the norm such as in Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi.

1342791235497.cached.jpg

Are you claiming that there is more crime per capita in the South rather than in Chicago and New York?

This Debate you are all having isnt premised on guns, its on economic conditions and cultural problems. The reason that Chicago has so many gun crimes is because of its inhabitants economic condition, they commit crimes with guns because its the only way they see fit to handle the mess they are living in. Similarly the south has a great deal of poor and uneducated rural areas that invites gun violence because they see no other way out of there situation and turn to violence. Gun crimes in these areas have little to do with gun laws and more to do with the offenders economic and cultural conditions

Yeah, exactly.

I'm not sure what's unclear about this-- federal laws would cover everywhere; Chicago law covers the city limits of Chicago. Therefore if I live in Chicago and I can't get the guns I want, all I have to do is drive over to Michigan, or Wisonsin or Indiana. Or downstate Illinois. Therefore these Chicago stats as a reflection of its own laws are pretty much meaningless. With a federal law you can't do that.

IOW you're trying to compare the effect of a city ordinance with that of a federal law. Apples and oranges.

This Debate you are all having isnt premised on guns, its on economic conditions and cultural problems. The reason that Chicago has so many gun crimes is because of its inhabitants economic condition, they commit crimes with guns because its the only way they see fit to handle the mess they are living in. Similarly the south has a great deal of poor and uneducated rural areas that invites gun violence because they see no other way out of there situation and turn to violence. Gun crimes in these areas have little to do with gun laws and more to do with the offenders economic and cultural conditions

Quite correct, and that's the other factor. That's why I noted Chicago is a "massive urban area". That's quite a different environment from a nation, unless the entire nation was a massive urban area. Everyday life in Chicago is a wee bit different from everyday life in Montpelier.

1342791235497.cached.jpg

Are you claiming that there is more crime per capita in the South rather than in Chicago and New York?

Well ones a region, the other is a city and the last one is a state.. What exactly are you claiming?

Yeah, exactly.

I'm not sure what's unclear about this-- federal laws would cover everywhere; Chicago law covers the city limits of Chicago. Therefore if I live in Chicago and I can't get the guns I want, all I have to do is drive over to Michigan, or Wisonsin or Indiana. Or downstate Illinois. Therefore these Chicago stats as a reflection of its own laws are pretty much meaningless. With a federal law you can't do that.

IOW you're trying to compare the effect of a city ordinance with that of a federal law. Apples and oranges.

In order to purchase a firearm you must be a resident of that state. That is a Federal Law.
Furthermore, if a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a handgun in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that State. Residency is the factor. Some states require one year others 90 days to establish residency.

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Last edited:

Yeah, exactly.

In order to purchase a firearm you must be a resident of that state. That is a Federal Law.
Furthermore, if a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a handgun in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not qualify the person to purchase a handgun in that State. Residency is the factor. Some states require one year others 90 days to establish residency.

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

So what's your point?

Forum List

Back