What America Used To Be

Keep the money I earn.

Working people do better today with taxation than they did in the distant past when there was no income tax.

care to prove that?

Because I am paying more in taxes (ALL taxes) than ever

Yeah just read a book based on the plight of the working class circa 1900, government oversight is a good thing, rules and regulations are necessary and taxes are used to enforce these rules.

Keep the money I earn.

Working people do better today with taxation than they did in the distant past when there was no income tax.

care to prove that?

That's because you're probably making more money than you ever were also. That's how it works. The more you make, the more you pay. It's always been that way.

There is no glorious time in our past when you weren't required to pay your fair share. It's the way it is and adults learn to deal with it and get about their lives without living in some fantasy world of nostalgia where everything was wonderful. That time doesn't exist and it never did.

care to prove that?

That's because you're probably making more money than you ever were also. That's how it works. The more you make, the more you pay. It's always been that way.

There is no glorious time in our past when you weren't required to pay your fair share. It's the way it is and adults learn to deal with it and get about their lives without living in some fantasy world of nostalgia where everything was wonderful. That time doesn't exist and it never did.

Define fair share

Why should I pay a higher percentage of my income than another?

Why should someone who has a gaggle of kids pay a lesser percentage than me with only one kid or no kids when surely it costs more to educate his six brats than my one and it definitely costs more if I have no kids.

Fair share is a meaningless term.

If I use government services I should pay for them. If I don't, I shouldn't.

And I'm not just talking about income taxes. I am talking about the total of all taxes we pay.

care to prove that?

Yeah just read a book based on the plight of the working class circa 1900, government oversight is a good thing, rules and regulations are necessary and taxes are used to enforce these rules.

so you don't care to prove it. You want me to prove it.

care to prove that?

Define fair share

Why should someone who has a gaggle of kids pay a lesser percentage than me with only one kid or no kids when surely it costs more to educate his six brats than my one and it definitely costs more if I have no kids.

And I'm not just talking about income taxes. I am talking about the total of all taxes we pay.

I think you may have missed the intent of this thread.

care to prove that?

here are some books to read

SparkNotes: The Jungle

Riis, Jacob A. 1890. How the Other Half Lives

Riis, Jacob A. 1902. The Battle with the Slum

Powell's Books - Bread and Roses by Milton Meltzer

an article that shows some insight to working conditions back then:

The Triangle Shirtwaist Fire of 1911

Who in America can leave their home not lock the doors, and still not worry about it.

Can our children actually leave on a Summer morning to go with friends, and return before the sun sinks into the horizon, and even good parents not worry about them.

Parents always wanted to be sure their children picked appropriate friends, but now the parents are told to butt out!

I remember when most military personal served because they love the country. Now they say they love the USA, but that is not why they are serving. Most of them are there for many other reasons, even to get away from the USA.

I can remember going to the grocery store and getting a basket full of food for $25. Now it is hard to get a ful bag of food for that price.

I sold gassoline for $0.19 a gallon, and we gave a mug away for every fill-up. Now one gallon costs more than it used to cost to fill the tank.

I remember when a curse word on TV was absolutely a no...no! Now, you almost cannot see a TV show without lots of profanity.

The air was fresher.
Kids knew each other by their first and last name.
There was respect in the family.
While there were drugs, and sex, and all that, it was not on every street corner. You had to find it rather than it find you.
Most of our government representatives really did represent the people.
There was not a war beteween the political parties, just different ideas, but always room to make it work, and agree or compromise.
Surveys shocked the nation when they said 5% of our kids do drugs, or have had sex.

I think I could go on, and none of these are indicators of a perfect place, just what appears to me to be a better place and time.

There was the bad, just not so much of it.

Last edited:

Define fair share

I think you may have missed the intent of this thread.

and you didn't define "fair share"

here are some books to read

SparkNotes: The Jungle

Riis, Jacob A. 1890. How the Other Half Lives

Riis, Jacob A. 1902. The Battle with the Slum

Powell's Books - Bread and Roses by Milton Meltzer

an article that shows some insight to working conditions back then:

The Triangle Shirtwaist Fire of 1911

i recommend "out of this furnace" by thomas bell, damn those unions.

Forum List

Back