What America Used To Be

That was last night's Daily Show.

HELLA funny.

hysterical.gif
hysterical.gif
hysterical.gif

Stewart does make a valid point just when and were was this golden age that many want to return to?

What you so called liberals and progressives don't seem to understand is that no one is saying we should turn the clock back and live in the past.

The point is that we should cultivate and encourage attitudes that we have abandoned. And before one of you libbies accuses me of wanting to turn back time to slavery, let me stop you right there. I, being a true classical liberal believe in liberty for all and that includes economic liberty as well as civil liberty.

Can you not fathom living in today's society with all of our modern comforts and technologies while still holding the idea that government has become too big, too expensive and too intrusive?

Can you not have faith in your fellow citizens that would allow you to believe they can make their own choices with no help from government?

Can you not think that many of us neither need nor want the government micromanaging every aspect of our lives?

Can you not believe that if we all could have government minimally involved in our lives that we would all be better off?

But this thread is typical of the dimocat/progressive tendency to reduce an argument to the ridiculous. It seems dimocrats and progressives cannot envision their or anyone else's life unless the heavy hand of government is inextricably bound to all aspects of daily life.

What you so called liberals and progressives don't seem to understand is that no one is saying we should turn the clock back and live in the past.

The point is that we should cultivate and encourage attitudes that we have abandoned. And before one of you libbies accuses me of wanting to turn back time to slavery, let me stop you right there. I, being a true classical liberal believe in liberty for all and that includes economic liberty as well as civil liberty.

Can you not fathom living in today's society with all of our modern comforts and technologies while still holding the idea that government has become too big, too expensive and too intrusive?

Can you not have faith in your fellow citizens that would allow you to believe they can make their own choices with no help from government?

Can you not think that many of us neither need nor want the government micromanaging every aspect of our lives?

Can you not believe that if we all could have government minimally involved in our lives that we would all be better off?

But this thread is typical of the dimocat/progressive tendency to reduce an argument to the ridiculous. It seems dimocrats and progressives cannot envision their or anyone else's life unless the heavy hand of government is inextricably bound to all aspects of daily life.

Thing is if you are under 80 years of age you never lived in such an America as an adult, the New Deal came about in the 1930's (thankfully),I would not want to be a member of the U.S. working class back in the days of the robber barons. Back in those old days the conservatives pine for we had a military draft(government intrusion in our lives) communist witch hunts(government intrusion) These good old days conservatives seek never existed.

Thing is if you are under 80 years of age you never lived in such an America as an adult, the New Deal came about in the 1930's (thankfully),I would not want to be a member of the U.S. working class back in the days of the robber barons. Back in those old days the conservatives pine for we had a military draft(government intrusion in our lives) communist witch hunts(government intrusion) These good old days conservatives seek never existed.

I think that often liberals misunderstand the difference between the country as it was (with all its good and its bad) is not the same as prefering the ideals that the country represented. We don't see to return to times gone by but to ideals gone by.

:clap2:

You have to wonder how many Beck followers are convinced by his fake tears.

No one gets to decide whether anothers tears are genuine or not, any more than you can spot 'faux' outrageous. Both are subjective.

I wonder how many of Obama's followers will ever understand that they are not entitled to decide how other people think.

I think that often liberals misunderstand the difference between the country as it was (with all its good and its bad) is not the same as prefering the ideals that the country represented. We don't see to return to times gone by but to ideals gone by.

When did these ideals actually exist? And what exactly were these ideals? Father Knows Best and Leave it to Beaver were tv shows and not representative of real life.

:clap2:

You have to wonder how many Beck followers are convinced by his fake tears.

No one gets to decide whether anothers tears are genuine or not, any more than you can spot 'faux' outrageous. Both are subjective.

I wonder how many of Obama's followers will ever understand that they are not entitled to decide how other people think.

I thought the religious right had that card?

When did these ideals actually exist? And what exactly were these ideals? Father Knows Best and Leave it to Beaver were tv shows and not representative of real life.

Now we are getting somewhere. TV and it's programmin on us have left us unable to tell fantasy from reality.

Where is the Fonze when his country needs him? :)

Again here we go using a ridiculous example to discredit an argument.

How about the idea that people are responsible for themselves and should be completely free to make any and all decisions regarding their lives as long as those decisions do not violate the rights of fellow citizens?

How about holding people accountable for the consequences of their decisions and not having people expect everyone else to pick up their mess?

How about the idea that you can make your own way without help from the government or without expecting to receive the fruits of another's labor?

None of that is "Leave it to Beaver".

America wants to go back to values of the past?

I lived though many of those past and their differently valued times, and they sucked!

Again here we go using a ridiculous example to discredit an argument.

How about the idea that people are responsible for themselves and should be completely free to make any and all decisions regarding their lives as long as those decisions do not violate the rights of fellow citizens?

How about holding people accountable for the consequences of their decisions and not having people expect everyone else to pick up their mess?

How about the idea that you can make your own way without help from the government or without expecting to receive the fruits of another's labor?

None of that is "Leave it to Beaver".

While those are all "cute" ideas that many of us wish we could have, it's never happened. Unless you're counting the Wild West. Which in that case, I have to ask what you were smoking.

Forum List

Back