What about you beautiful lawn

raceright

Feb 28, 2009
Long Island
OK so many think our cars are the major cause of pollution--I submit what about poison for weed control,fertilizers,ant poison ,rodent poisons, bug poisons I mean if this is as serious as you all seem to believe maybe those with beautiful green lawns that have had all kinds of weed controls(poisons) should be first to be controlled and fined. When I go to Florida and the pest controllers tell ya ya have to stay away for so many Hours after we do our monthly spraying it make me think,bad for bugs,gotta be bad for people. Ya get to breath all this stuff all spring summer and fall.

Our grass is dotted with dandelions. Err, our dandelions are dotted with grass.

Our old house was a townhouse and the association had people come in to do the outside maintenance. When I was pregnant with my oldest I worked FT and wasn't home much; when I was pregnant with my son (who is autistic), I was home FT and outside a lot. I've often wondered if there was a connection between his dx and the crap they sprayed on the shrubbery and put on the grass. . .

We use minimal anything on our stuff. I pay the kids to pull the dandelions. Gets them out of the house, cleans up the lawn and they get paid. Good deal. I pull weeds (we have sooo many pricker weeds!). I'm trying to find a natural weed killer that won't harm the shrubs.

OK so many think our cars are the major cause of pollution--I submit what about poison for weed control,fertilizers,ant poison ,rodent poisons, bug poisons I mean if this is as serious as you all seem to believe maybe those with beautiful green lawns that have had all kinds of weed controls(poisons) should be first to be controlled and fined. When I go to Florida and the pest controllers tell ya ya have to stay away for so many Hours after we do our monthly spraying it make me think,bad for bugs,gotta be bad for people. Ya get to breath all this stuff all spring summer and fall.

Lets go one step further. How about the amount of fresh water wasted to water lawns. Fresh water is the most precious resource we have on this planet. It is also becoming one of the scarcest at the same time.

Not us. we're under water restrictions.

Dude, do you LIVE in FL? I lived there for about 10 years. It's a swamp they shaved off and put up a parking lot. I lived there before widespread pest control. Mosquitoes so thick they were kicking each other's asses to get in on you first.

Name your poison.:cool:

grass? two large dogs...no grass...they can dig holes the size of small cars in the time it takes to go inside and look out the window

Our grass is dotted with dandelions. Err, our dandelions are dotted with grass.

Our old house was a townhouse and the association had people come in to do the outside maintenance. When I was pregnant with my oldest I worked FT and wasn't home much; when I was pregnant with my son (who is autistic), I was home FT and outside a lot. I've often wondered if there was a connection between his dx and the crap they sprayed on the shrubbery and put on the grass. . .

We use minimal anything on our stuff. I pay the kids to pull the dandelions. Gets them out of the house, cleans up the lawn and they get paid. Good deal. I pull weeds (we have sooo many pricker weeds!). I'm trying to find a natural weed killer that won't harm the shrubs.

I've got a recipe for an organic weed spray but it will kill (or at least maim) any plant you apply it to.

1 gal. white vinegar (preferably heated - makes it work better)
1 lb. salt (1box/container)
couple TBSP of dish detergent

mix together, making sure that the salt is dissolved in the vinegar and then spray it on unwanted plants. Heat from the sun intensifies the action of the mixture. Safe around pets and kids. Some tough-to kill plants may need more than one application, but I have family in the organic farming community and they swear by it.

Not us. we're under water restrictions.

Dude, do you LIVE in FL? I lived there for about 10 years. It's a swamp they shaved off and put up a parking lot. I lived there before widespread pest control. Mosquitoes so thick they were kicking each other's asses to get in on you first.

Name your poison.:cool:

Have lived in Wellington, yea when a mosquitoe lands on ya it feels like a small bird,Just saying though maybe all the chemicals we use for pretty lawns and bug control might be a little more harmfull to humans than all the global warming stuff thats all. If ya read this Rocks in the head I said maybe ,you can provide the facts.

I don't water my lawn, and I don't us pesticides.

Whatever grows I cut with the lawn mower.

I don't water my lawn, and I don't us pesticides.

sleeping_at_computer_blog.jpg

Oh God, another fascinating Chris posting,,,zzzzzzzzz.......

Old stale gas works really well for a weed killer. Fertilizer? What! Encourage it to grow, are you mad:tongue::lol:

Does it have a gasoline engine? I almost expect you to say, "no." But if you do use a gasoline mower, you're unecessarily contributing to climate change (or, at least, you believe you do) because there are alternatives. They do make electric mowers. A little incovenient because you have to get some extenstion chords if you have a big yard. But it should be worth it to save the planet. And if you're concerned about still using some fossil fuel that way, they do still make these things:

LMM40-2T.jpg

Does it have a gasoline engine? I almost expect you to say, "no." But if you do use a gasoline mower, you're unecessarily contributing to climate change (or, at least, you believe you do) because there are alternatives. They do make electric mowers. A little incovenient because you have to get some extenstion chords if you have a big yard. But it should be worth it to save the planet. And if you're concerned about still using some fossil fuel that way, they do still make these things:

LMM40-2T.jpg

HEY! Good point!

Chris uses a gas lawn mower?????

You hypocritical bastard Chris!!

Shame on you.

Lawn mowers emit CO2.

CO2 warms the atmosphere.

Do you deny that fact???

Thus, Chris mows his lawn.

Chris warms the atmosphere.

Do you deny that fact??

So stop mowing your lawn Chris...

2253843263_ac7fb3d625.jpg

Chris stresses over the CO2 emitting impacts of his lawn mowing job...

HEY! Good point!

Chris uses a gas lawn mower?????

You hypocritical bastard Chris!!

Shame on you.

Now, we do not know that Chris uses a gasoline lawnmower. I would not be shocked to find that he doesn't. However, if he does, he should be aware of claims like this:

"One gas mower running for an hour emits the same amount of pollutants as eight new cars driving 55 mph for the same amount of time, according to the Union of Concerned Scientists."

That's from Gas lawn mowers belch pollution : Science and Environment : Boulder Daily Camera

And there are alternatives. Here's another one:

http://www.neutonpower.com/

Last edited:

LMM40-2T.jpg

Hey, where did you get a picture of my lawn mower?

What about the traditional burning of leaves in the autumn and/or spring?

The smoke generated by a large number of simultaneous leaf fires can cause significant health problems. Leaf smoke can irritate the eyes, nose and throat of healthy adults. But it can be much more harmful to small children, the elderly, and people with asthma or other lung or heart diseases. This is because the visible smoke from leaf fires is made up almost entirely of tiny particles that can reach deep into lung tissue and cause symptoms such as coughing, wheezing, chest pain and shortness of breath--symptoms that might not occur until several days after exposure to large amounts of leaf smoke.

Besides being an irritant, leaf smoke contains many hazardous chemicals, including carbon monoxide and benzo(a)pyrene. Carbon monoxide binds with hemoglobin in the bloodstream and thus reduces the amount of oxygen in the blood and lungs. So carbon monoxide can be very dangerous for young children with immature lungs, smokers, the elderly, and people with chronic heart or lung diseases.

Benzo(a)pyrene is known to cause cancer in animals and is believed to be a major factor in lung cancer caused by cigarette smoke. It is found in cigarette smoke and coal tar as well as leaf smoke.

According to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency studies, sometimes concentrations of air pollutants resulting from leaf burning can be so high that the air does not meet federal health standards. In fact, in some areas burning of leaves and brush sometimes causes much higher levels of air pollution than all other forms of air pollution combined (such as factories, vehicles, and lawn and garden equipment).
Linky: Health hazards of burning leaves

LMM40-2T.jpg

all that effort causes you to breath harder and emit more co2......

LMM40-2T.jpg

all that effort causes you to breath harder and emit more co2......

Just like you when you eat your Twinkies....

LMM40-2T.jpg

Where does the electicity come from?

Magic?

Forum List

Back