What About Women and Gays In Military?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, May 26, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Not sure what I think of this, but Max Boot is pretty highly thought of:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion...,7274840.column?coll=la-news-comment-opinions

2. OCA

OCA Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Keep gays out, let women in but in non-combat roles.

3. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    IMO women should NEVER be in a combat role. As for gays, they have been here as long as man, sooner or later people will accept that..

4. Merlin

Merlin Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    I say if women want to be equal (which they are in most things), let them go into combat. "Some" people may accept queers in the military, but not many. I'll bet when they open the doors they will lose a lot of people.

5. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Women may be more equal in society than ever before, but I think we must draw a line somewhere..For me combat is it.

I don't understand what you mean about opening the doors?

6. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669

I have to agree with you, intellectually women are eqaul to men but generally speaking they are not as physically strong as men unless they spend many hours with weights and steroids. I think we can put women to very good use in every aspect of the military except for combat.

7. kancer43

kancer43 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9
    although most women would disagree... I don't... a lot worse things can happen to us... men are tortured as well, but I think women are raped a lot more and a lot of messed up things can happen... And a lot of women are physically fit, I can out do most guys in sit ups, but we're still not built the same... with me being 92lbs and 5'1" I don't think I'd be too efficient against a big guy in a hand to hand combat situation...
    As far as gays go, would u want to be stuck in a hole for two weeks with a gay guy? or shower with them? no... just like i wouldn't feel all that comfortable being in a pit or a shower with a bunch of lesbians... that whole thing is just massively asking for trouble... I really don't have anything against gay ppl... why should I? It just wouldn't be a good situation...
    "whatever floats your boat as long as it doesn sink mine" is a fitting saying for that...

8. Johnney

Johnney Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    im not sure about this one. intellectually, they are equal, but physically...
    on the battle field, or ftx, your carrying up too 100lbs of gear. i remember how it kicked my ass.

9. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
    It didn't happen in other places where they have opened those doors. In some places those doors were never closed and their military is still alive, Israel comes to mind. Women are also in combat roles in the Israeli army.

10. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If a woman has gone through training with no "curves" or "breaks", and can match a guy head to head for combat skills, I say let her go. If she needs even the tiniest bit of "concession" because she's female, not a chance.