What about the people flipping burgers and bagging groceries.

there should be some program for affordable health care for low-wage earners..anyone working a full time job in this country should be able to afford health care...education and decent housing ..if they cant...they are being ripped off...stolen from ..by excessively wealthy and greedy corporate interest

Businesses are going to suffer...those sh*t jobs are just going to DISAPPEAR....
Wrong. Everyone depends on the people working those sh*t jobs. They make your $4 lattes that you get every morning at the local coffee shop. They stock the shelves at the departments stores as 3:30 AM. They scrub the toilets that you poop in at the gas station when you have to stop to fill-up on gas. They bake the donuts that you stuff your face with every morning at the bakeries. They bend the burritos that you get on your lunch break at Taco Bell. They mow lawns. They wait on you when you go to the nice restaurant that you like to go to. And on and on and on. They don't disappear.

And how about hair stylists. They go to school to get a degree and get licensed to stand on their feet and cut hair. And they usually don't get health coverage. And most of them don't qualify for medicaid, and they usually don't make crap for wages.

there should be some program for affordable health care for low-wage earners..anyone working a full time job in this country should be able to afford health care...education and decent housing ..if they cant...they are being ripped off...stolen from ..by excessively wealthy and greedy corporate interest

They CAN afford education - there are grants galore out there. Use one of them, get an education, and use that education to get a better job. Use that better job to get better housing, and a job with health insurance.

Sheesh...Nowhere but upward for the intelligence level to go here.

Never heard of Medcaid, workman's comp (an even bigger racket), or the slew of other state programs for the indigent, have you??

Never heard of Medcaid, workman's comp (an even bigger racket), or the slew of other state programs for the indigent, have you??

Who are trying to fool?

1) Healthy young people typically don't qualify for medicaid regardless if they are unemployed or working a low paying job. Unless such a person is on disability or has some other special circumstances that allows them an exception, they don't get it. I know this because until about five years ago I worked as a social worker and had to help people with these applications. Even people with severe mental disorders are rejected. There are unemployed people with chronic severe depression or bipolar disorder for example that try to commit suicide and are involuntarily committed into a mental hospital. During their stay in the hospital they are asked to apply for medicaid. And most of the time, they are rejected. Then they are encouraged to apply for disability to ensure they get medicaid. And they are usually rejected for disability as well. That's how difficult it is in many states to get on medicaid for a younger single person. Many areas now have a medicaid/state plan hybrid of sorts, but even here the insurance typically doesn't pay for surgeries and hospitalizations and only pays for a minority of prescription medications. In other words, it's a joke: it pays for a diagnosis (doctor's visists) but not the treatment. And in my state, Michigan, for example, this hybrid plan is only available to persons who make less than $500? dollars per month. So after a person starts working at Taco Bell or wherever, they can't even get it anymore. And even for the people who do qualify for it, it still sucks because it doesn't pay for most treatment and testing.

2) Workers compensation has to do with compensation for work-related injury. It has no direct application to the title of the thread that I started. It's not health insurance.

3) As to the state/county programs, I already referred to them in the first posting to this thread. And they are not available in most counties still. And even where they are available, they typically only pay for doctor's visits and basic testing like blood work and x-rays. They typically do not pay for surgeries, hospitalizations, and most outpatient procedures. For example, if a person needs an echocardiogram or needs to have their tonsils taken out, the county/state health insurance plan does not pay for it.

Who are trying to fool?

yaddayaddayaddayadda......
There's only one fool here, and it's you bleating the same old stale tune about how everyone is a victim.

If the existing big gubmint givaways aren't good enough, despite them blowing holes in their own budget predictions, what makes you fool enough to think that a wholesale takeover of the entire industry is going to make anything better?

Last edited:

They CAN afford education - there are grants galore out there. Use one of them, get an education, and use that education to get a better job. Use that better job to get better housing, and a job with health insurance.

I agree..but health care and reasonable housing standards should be available in the meantime for a full time student or worker..

there should be some program for affordable health care for low-wage earners..blablablayammeryammeryamer......
It's called Medicaid, numbnuts!!!
And if you had clue what you were talking about, you would know that most "low-wage earners" don't qualify for it.
Medicaid was enacted SPECIFICALLY FOR the lowest of wage earners.

If anyone has NFI what they're talking about here, it's you.

I agree..but health care and reasonable housing standards should be available in the meantime for a full time student or worker..

Housing is available in the form of off campus apartments at decent rates, on campus dorms, and studio apartments.

Discount health care is available through different agencies.

Housing is available in the form of off campus apartments at decent rates, on campus dorms, and studio apartments.

Doesn't matter what anyone does, it's never ever enough for the sniveliest of the snivelers.

there should be some program for affordable health care for low-wage earners..blablablayammeryammeryamer......

it is a partial solution but it lacks...however it is not the immediate jump you make to an endorsement of obamacare...I just have respect for hard working individuals and see the value young students hold for all of us and believe we need to maintain some minimum standards in this country for the benefit of all...numbnuts

And if you had clue what you were talking about, you would know that most "low-wage earners" don't qualify for it.

But... But... But...

That's completely different than what he read on the Huffington Post and Daily Kos....:eek:

yes and its wonderful and we need to maintain these things and strengthen them... more than we need to bail out motor companys...

I'm afraid not. Contrary to your uninformed beliefs, low wage earners and the unemployed are not automatically entitled to receive medicaid, and most of these people do not qualify for it. That is the truth. In most states, unless one is disabled or falls under another exception, they do not qualify for medicaid. I already talked about the state hybrid (partial medicaid) programs. And in my state, Michigan, for example, last time I checked this program was only available for persons with income less than $500 per month, and without substantial assets like a car, etc. And this watered down form of medicaid only pays for doctor's visits and a small list of prescriptions and diagnostic testing. It doesn't pay for surgeries, hospitalization, etc, etc. And it rarely pays for any treatment or inpatient or outpatient procedures beyond testing. In summary, not only does it suck, people making more than $500 or so per month can't even get it. The people qualifying for full government medical care need to fall under a limited exception. Usually, this means the person has to be on disability. And getting on disability is difficult. As I said earlier, there are severely mentally ill persons who are denied disability and medicaid.

In Michigan, for those making more than $500 per month, which is just about everyone with even the sh*ttiest job, all that's available to them is a county program. And right now, most counties still don't have one. And even the ones that do, all these county programs pay for are doctor's visits with a copay, bloodwork, and x-rays pretty much. They don't pay for most other testing necessary for a diagnosis like heart monitors or colonoscopies, etc. And they don't pay for the treatment or hospitalization. So, in other words, they suck, and in most areas they aren't available anyway.

Last edited:

yes and its wonderful and we need to maintain these things and strengthen them... more than we need to bail out motor companys...

So...now that we've agreed that all of those things you think should be available ARE, in fact, available, what exactly are you grouching about again? :D

I'm sorry but good jobs are not available to everyone. Someone has to work those sh*t jobs. Someone has to cut your hair. Someone has to clean your poop off of the public toilet. Someone has to dispose of the trash. Someone has to wrap the roast beef sandwich you buy on your lunch break at Arby's. Someone has to clean the motel room after you leave. Someone has to stock the shelves at the grocery store and Kmart when you go to the store. And a million more examples. Those jobs are essential. They need to stay filled. And these people often go without any health coverage at all because they don't have any money. And that's not ethical. Not only do these people often work at all hours of the day and night, they get paid sh*t for it, and then don't have health care, either. What kind of society is that? And these low paying jobs aren't limited to those flipping burgers and stocking shelves. They include people licensed and certified to work in particular professions such as cosmetologists, lab assistants, technicians, secretaries, administrative and clerical workers, and on and on and on.

Forum List

Back