What about the Marines?

IceEyes

Rookie
Apr 18, 2005
Sweden - Stockholm
In the last years there has been a alot of footage of the US Armed forces on the news. Latest being Iraq ofcourse. I don't know any facts here really, but the Army is mostley shown in a very good way. The way they swept across Iraq with amazingly low casualty-rates for example or how they sieze whole blocks of buildings rolling in with their Abrams. Now, what about the Marines? Doesn't the higher command like the Marines? They are always shown walking or carrying stuff or riding some badly armourd veichles. They seem to get some really dangerous tasks to perform, with high casualty-rates. I guess there would be a explanation to this, - can someone explain?

Well the Marines are our "spartans", our finest warriors. They are our expeditonary fighters, usually the first to go ashore or inland in any military conflict America is involved in. They often make do with the oldest equipment, both weapons and vehicles. They are the ones who led the assault on the terrorist stronghold of Fallujah (as an example of how highly regarded they are by our nation's leaders). All around bad asses :cof:

IceEyes said:
In the last years there has been a alot of footage of the US Armed forces on the news. Latest being Iraq ofcourse. I don't know any facts here really, but the Army is mostley shown in a very good way. The way they swept across Iraq with amazingly low casualty-rates for example or how they sieze whole blocks of buildings rolling in with their Abrams. Now, what about the Marines? Doesn't the higher command like the Marines? They are always shown walking or carrying stuff or riding some badly armourd veichles. They seem to get some really dangerous tasks to perform, with high casualty-rates. I guess there would be a explanation to this, - can someone explain?

The Marines are some real hardcore guys and gals. For air defense, they put a bayonet on a rocket and go for the pilot kill...everyone else tries to blow up the whole darn airplane. (It's a joke, folks)

Seriously, the Marines pride themsleves (and rightfully so) on their hardcore attitude and perform some of the toughest jobs our military has to perform. They can and do perform missions of short duration; they just dont have the staying power and logistics support of the Army.

Actually, during the battle for Ramadi, the marines were highlighted much more than the Army soldiers that also fought in the battle. So I am not sure how you figure that the Army gets more coverage than the marines.

They might get more coverage when talking about attacks on convoys, etc., but that is the Army's mission. The Army probably has twice (maybe 3 times) as many soldiers in both Afghanistan and Iraq. So of course you might see them mentioned more often.

I have found the coverage to be pretty balanced for both services. If anybody has a right to bitch, it probably is the AF guys. But then again, they get to fly back to base each night and have a hot meal! :)

freeandfun1 said:
Actually, during the battle for Ramadi, the marines were highlighted much more than the Army soldiers that also fought in the battle. So I am not sure how you figure that the Army gets more coverage than the marines.

Well, maybe I was wrong... I had a look around and... it was more of a feeling I had.

Darn, I didn't get to this thread in time...

Anyway, I'd say that United States Marines get credited a lot, not necessarily from the news media. (Remember, the media hates all forms of military), but when reading personal accounts, it's all about the Jarhead. I would consider it true that Marines recieve more intense training and could be comparibly the best fighting force America has to offer, but that in no means gives anyone the right at any time to gripe or insult or disrepect any other branch of American military or the servicemembers that devote their lives, or major portions, to the defense and well-being of the United States of America. Not that any of you would or even think of it, just felt I needed to say that.

Even though I am not a Marine now, I seriously am intent on being a commissioned officer in the Corps for the better part of my life. So don't think of me as a wanna-be or a poser. Trust me, if it were up to me I'd be in Iraq right now.

Semper Fi said:
I would consider it true that Marines recieve more intense training and could be comparibly the best fighting force America has to offer, but that in no means gives anyone the right at any time to gripe or insult or disrepect any other branch of American military or the servicemembers that devote their lives, or major portions, to the defense and well-being of the United States of America. Not that any of you would or even think of it, just felt I needed to say that.

Oh I love the competition (as long as it remains healthy and good-natured) between the services (especially when it happens in bars with open tabs or at PT sessions). You devil dawgs, soldiers and airmen can bag on us sailors all you want, and we'll give it back 100%. Though I do consider my Marine brothers to be part of the Navy family, being under the Department of The Navy and all. :teeth:

NATO AIR said:
Oh I love the competition (as long as it remains healthy and good-natured) between the services (especially when it happens in bars with open tabs or at PT sessions). You devil dawgs, soldiers and airmen can bag on us sailors all you want, and we'll give it back 100%. Though I do consider my Marine brothers to be part of the Navy family, being under the Department of The Navy and all. :teeth:
I thought Marines were stewardesses for you swabbies?

That ought to bring lots of friendly smile my way....right?

The link you sent is for a guy trying to sell a book. He points out some training critiques that were pre-Afghanistan operations.

This is not necessarily a bad thing, but one must be careful when the source is trying to sell a product and make a name for himself on the back of the military. Training critiques are a good thing, by the way. They help make the US military the finest fighting force in the world.

CSM said:
Well, there was a post there by IE...what happened to it?
Well sorry, the link stopped working and I removed it completly.

Here it is, may it will come back online.
http://www.geocities.com/itsg.geo/whymarinesareinept.htm

Anyway, I thought about it, Internet is kind of dangerous. If someone makes a big job telling something it's generally for a reason. I will be more selective posting links like that. Not that I don't think people can sort it out for themselves, but it's stupid to spread thing you don't understand. Like I did.

IceEyes said:
Sorry everyone for this completley messed up thread!
:lame2:
I dont think the thread is messed up. It is important that we all get to discuss and understand...even things like you posted. It is better to learn what we can than to let things lie and develop notions that me y not be based on the complete truth.

NATO AIR said:

Yes, we are a department of de Navy..........

smilies-46.png

CSM said:
The Marines are some real hardcore guys and gals. For air defense, they put a bayonet on a rocket and go for the pilot kill...everyone else tries to blow up the whole darn airplane. (It's a joke, folks)

No it isn't, I still have scorch marks on my back from duct taping a kbar to a laaw and firing from the prone............. :tank:

Seriously, the Marines pride themsleves (and rightfully so) on their hardcore attitude and perform some of the toughest jobs our military has to perform. They can and do perform missions of short duration; they just dont have the staying power and logistics support of the Army.

Forum List

Back