What about people who have abortions?

Nuc

Jul 10, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Abortion seems to be the favorite topic on this board. Most of the talk focuses on whether or not it should be legal. Suppose the appointment of Roberts and the other new vacancy on the Supreme Court leads to a turnaround and Roe v. Wade is overturned and some states make abortion illegal. What should be done with the women who have abortions anyway? Death penalty, life in prison, what? And how about the fathers? Are they guilty too? What happens to them?

I don't want to derail your thread, but I must ask, since Roberts is replacing a conservative Justice, how do you think he could cause such a change in the voting balance?

Nuc said:
Abortion seems to be the favorite topic on this board. Most of the talk focuses on whether or not it should be legal. Suppose the appointment of Roberts and the other new vacancy on the Supreme Court leads to a turnaround and Roe v. Wade is overturned and some states make abortion illegal. What should be done with the women who have abortions anyway? Death penalty, life in prison, what? And how about the fathers? Are they guilty too? What happens to them?

well what used to happen to them? ....nothing....well the women would die sometimes...

Abbey Normal said:
I don't want to derail your thread, but I must ask, since Roberts is replacing a conservative Justice, how do you think he could cause such a change in the voting balance?

I'm just posing a hypothetical scenario. Obviously there are a lot of people hoping that somehow the two new members will tip the balance against abortion. When I have suggested in other threads that the Republicans have no real interest in getting rid of abortion, they're just cynically using it as a wedge issue, several people have said, "Well just wait and see once we have Roberts!" This thread is not about the likelihood of a change, just if there is a change, what should we do about people who have abortions and who should be held accountable. What's the punishment? Do we make it retroactive? After all Nazis have been held accountable for things that were not crimes in their particular culture. Where does society go with this once abortion is legally declared "murder"?

Abbey Normal said:

he is assuming that the next one will conservative...then they will all vote to overturn roe v wade then states will vote to make it illegal...lots of ground to plow before this all happens

Nuc said:

Abortion is the killing of an unborn baby. Hence:
Abortion is murder. Hence:
Murder should be universally punished by death.

Conclusion: Take a pill, provide condoms, be accountable for your actions.

BTW, Dad gets whacked as an accessory.

pegwinn said:

Thanks for directly answering my questions. That's what I was looking for.

Nuc said:
I'm just posing a hypothetical scenario. Obviously there are a lot of people hoping that somehow the two new members will tip the balance against abortion. When I have suggested in other threads that the Republicans have no real interest in getting rid of abortion, they're just cynically using it as a wedge issue, several people have said, "Well just wait and see once we have Roberts!" This thread is not about the likelihood of a change, just if there is a change, what should we do about people who have abortions and who should be held accountable. What's the punishment? Do we make it retroactive? After all Nazis have been held accountable for things that were not crimes in their particular culture. Where does society go with this once abortion is legally declared "murder"?

if roberts and co overturn roe v wade.....the abortion will not be constitoinally guartanteed be the federal govt.

so the states make the call.....most states already have laws on the books....no it will not be retroactive as US laws don't work like that...see those convicted of murder when there was no death penalty.....

anyway, all women will do is.... go to the state where it is legal....get a back room abortion or have the child....what do you care anyway about what other people do it doesn't affect you.

pegwinn said:

murder is defined as killing a living human being.....an unborn baby at the first trimester is not by defininition a living human it is technically a parasite....so you will need to pass new lawas and new deffinitions to get the outcome you desire....

also you will need to exectue the dr. nurse hospital staff etc...as they are all accessories.

by the way i belive abortion is morally wrong

manu1959 said:
anyway, all women will do is.... go to the state where it is legal....get a back room abortion or have the child....what do you care anyway about what other people do it doesn't affect you.

I don't care what people do, but since this is a discussion board I thought I would try a new spin on the abortion issue.

Does abortion become "not permitted" but no punishment meted out. Or does it become "murder" with the same penalty as other murders? Is the man an accomplice, or is the woman the sole determining factor. These are topics of discussion in this thread on this discussion board.

To directly answer your question, :eek: I would expect that the states would all pass laws governing it, as many already have, and the red states will make it illegal, or illegal except in the first trimester, depending on the state. I expect the blue states will continue to allow abortion on demand, without parental consent, right up to and including partial birth murder. I would assume that Medicaid funding of abortions will immediately cease.

Btw, isn't this about the time when it's the libs turn to start the slippery slope arguments?

manu1959 said:
murder is defined as killing a living human being.....an unborn baby at the first trimester is not by defininition a living human it is technically a parasite....so you will need to pass new lawas and new deffinitions to get the outcome you desire....

also you will need to exectue the dr. nurse hospital staff etc...as they are all accessories.

by the way i belive abortion is morally wrong

I have very little use for the parasite theory as it allows someone to cheapen a human life or the potential for one. Forgot about the docs and nurses. Thanks. We will need to buy more rope................

Abbey Normal said:
To directly answer your question, :eek: I would expect that the states would all pass laws governing it, as many already have, and the red states will make it illegal, or illegal except in the first trimester, depending on the state. I expect the blue states will continue to allow abortion on demand, without parental consent, right up to and including partial birth murder. I would assume that Medicaid funding of abortions will immediately cease.

If things happen the way you describe it would be at best a small victory for the anti-abortion forces. Some impoverished and disorganized women won't get it together to have abortions in a different state.

If it is illegal, I doubt you will find many doctors or nurses involved. Aren't we always hearing that all women will be forced to go back to the days of "back-alley" abortions done by unqualified people in dirty conditions?

Nuc said:
If things happen the way you describe it would be at best a small victory for the anti-abortion forces. Some impoverished and disorganized women won't get it together to have abortions in a different state.

I don't necessarily see that conclusion. I see it being illegal in most states, which would eventually reduce the number, since most states are red states.

I also see a slippery slope of reduced rights, until all abortions are illegal in the entire country, and women are virtually thrown back to the dark ages. (How's my lib imitation going? ;) )

Nuc said:

not to worry....the dems will craete an abortion entitlment program to help them get to the free clinics in NY and SF

Forum List

Back