What About Our National Debt?

TO BE FREE. IS TO BE OUT OF DEBT!!!:confused:

The National Debt has been rising steadily for decades. We need a comprehensive balanced budget amendment, but that will never happen. And since the two major parties insist on growing the government, expect it to continue to rise. At least we're not as bad as Japan.

When I Am Out of Debt, I'm Relieved of Pressure!
I Own My Stuff!
The Country is in Confusing Turmoil!
Our Property is Owned & Inhabited by Foreigners.
We Owe Others, More than we can Pay! (10 T...)

If I Were In Charge! NATIONAL DEBT WOULD BE 2nd. PRIORITY! (1st. DEFENSE!)
THERE ARE BIG CHANGES NEEDED!! BUT WRONG Changes will Grow!

Hey it's only ...what? about 11 trillion dollars.

The next generation is good for it.

Fuck 'em! They don't vote.

The National Debt has been rising steadily for decades. We need a comprehensive balanced budget amendment, but that will never happen. And since the two major parties insist on growing the government, expect it to continue to rise. At least we're not as bad as Japan.

Its risen steadily for, in the most part, understandable reasons, but Bush has doubled it all on his own and thats your boy so stop bulking the Dems with the Cons cause you've had the presidency for 28 out of the past 40 years

but... but... but... BUSH

:rolleyes:

The typical response of an extreme lefty... get off it gtr

As for the topic... having debt does not mean one is not free... debt is a lien, not an imprisonment, not a contract of indentured service, and building debt is a choice within your freedom... your choices and actions result in whether you have debt or not... the same with the country.. granted the country has made a TON of bad spending choices (Let's spend more taxpayer monies on research into cow farts :rolleyes: ), but it in no way means we are not a free country

Its risen steadily for, in the most part, understandable reasons, but Bush has doubled it all on his own and thats your boy so stop bulking the Dems with the Cons cause you've had the presidency for 28 out of the past 40 years

Compare Bush to LBJ. They are almost identical. That's because Bush is a Neoconservative. That's why it's critical to remove the Neoconservatives from the Republican Party or just remove the Republican Party altogether. I would recommend that you familiarize yourself with how the US government creates, modifies and passes budgets. You are blaming Republicans solely for this mess when that is clearly incorrect.

but... but... but... BUSH

:rolleyes:

The typical response of an extreme lefty... get off it gtr

As for the topic... having debt does not mean one is not free... debt is a lien, not an imprisonment, not a contract of indentured service, and building debt is a choice within your freedom... your choices and actions result in whether you have debt or not... the same with the country.. granted the country has made a TON of bad spending choices (Let's spend more taxpayer monies on research into cow farts :rolleyes: ), but it in no way means we are not a free country

Oh yeah it's completely crazy to blame those in charge of the nation for what outcomes come out of their policies.

What ARE these people thinking?

Don't they know that welfare mothers are completely responsible for the debts?

I see them driving Esplanades all the time here in Maine.

They're living high on the hog while the rest of us are struggling.

Some of their kids even have SHOES!

Anyone find the numbers for how much all welfare cost this nation every year, yet?

I can't find that number.

This board needs a good accountant who can ferret out those numbers from the FED budget.

Oh yeah it's completely crazy to blame those in charge of the nation for what outcomes come out of their policies.

Anyone find the numbers for how much all welfare cost this nation every year, yet?

This board needs a good accountant who can ferret out those numbers from the FED budget.

Every Prez, DEM or REP has spent... Every Congress, DEM or REP spends on unnecessary crap... so the 'but, but, but BUSH' falls on deaf ears for me...

But yes... every free person is responsible for their debts... their choices.. their efforts... their spending... their situations... I don't care if it is a welfare queen or a once prominent figure who spent every last cent and is now in the gutter

The truth is that the national debt is not as big of a problem as many think. You have to look at the national debt as a percentage of GDP. While it is rising, it has been higher as a percentage of GDP in the past. Paying down the debt is not realistic or even advisable. However, stopping or severely curtailing it's continuing rise is in our best interest, especially since expenditures will evenutually begin to accelerate at a much faster pace than revenue once SS and Medicare begin to take in less than they pay out. The way to reduce the debt is to grow the economy while keeping additional deficit spending to a minimum or actually working with a balanced budget. To do that, the federal government needs to make some drastic cuts in spending. If deficit spending is kept to a minimum, in then years the debt could actually be reduced 30 or 40 percent based on GDP.

I would expect change if Obama said "we're not going to spend any more money on anything and we're cutting back on big government" This is what we expected of the last Republican and he just screwed that up Royally...he ran the place not unlike a Democrat. So now we'll have another 4 to 8 years of spending?

How deep can the Deficit go?

When is it going to end?

We will surely implode in the first 6 months....

( AUTHORITY & RESPONSIBILITY) Is for Government too! Know "Who" Is Responsible: & Correct Them!!!
WHY IS GOVERNMENT VOID OF COMMON SENSE?
TRUE WE HAVE A VAST ARRAY (AERIE) as GOVERNMENT!
The Wealthy have a Good Hold on Government!
The Poor are in a Rebellion, Supporting Anyone that will do for them!
THE Well Being of "U.S. of A." SHOULD BE PRIOR TY 1.

If only voting would help -----

Media Doesn't Vote! Nominations Ain't a Vote! Looks like the Eligible Voters ain't smart enough to make any choices: If any real choices were available!

If only voting would help -----

Media Doesn't Vote! Nominations Ain't a Vote! Looks like the Eligible Voters ain't smart enough to make any choices: If any real choices were available!

Our choices are dismal at best. Romney and Hillary would have been much better choices than what we are left with.

The truth is that the national debt is not as big of a problem as many think. You have to look at the national debt as a percentage of GDP. While it is rising, it has been higher as a percentage of GDP in the past.

True enough for the years we were paying off WW2, its seems completely irresponsible to run up massive deficits in times of peace. The attached table shows how Ike, JFK, Johnson, Nixon and Ford managed to reduce the debt as a portion of GDP. Carter kept it stable as US GDP contracted in the late 70’s, look at what happened with Regan, and that shows a substantial rise of debt to GDP while the GDP was experiencing significant growth.

National-Debt-GDP-L.gif

I know how people hate Clinton so I just want to point out the curve under his presidency.

It’s not all Regan’s Fault, Congress played an equally part in either allowing his tax cuts/spending increases or by not cutting spending in relation to the reduction in revenue.

True enough for the years we were paying off WW2, its seems completely irresponsible to run up massive deficits in times of peace.

There were other wars after WW2. There was the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Cold War, the Gulf War (1 and 2) and the current War on Terror. There were no wars during the Clinton Administration.

The truth is that the national debt is not as big of a problem as many think. You have to look at the national debt as a percentage of GDP. While it is rising, it has been higher as a percentage of GDP in the past. Paying down the debt is not realistic or even advisable. However, stopping or severely curtailing it's continuing rise is in our best interest, especially since expenditures will evenutually begin to accelerate at a much faster pace than revenue once SS and Medicare begin to take in less than they pay out. The way to reduce the debt is to grow the economy while keeping additional deficit spending to a minimum or actually working with a balanced budget. To do that, the federal government needs to make some drastic cuts in spending. If deficit spending is kept to a minimum, in then years the debt could actually be reduced 30 or 40 percent based on GDP.

yes there is something wrong with it....it is NOT like before...for two reasons

1- we are borrowing the money from foreigners, which is new...now we are at risk of foreign gvts virtually owning us.

2- we were not at the edge of the baby boom retirement where the federal government has to pay back to Social security the TRILLIONS it has borrowed from it, thru using the SS surplusses to balance the budget.... during world war 2 we sold war bonds to us.

Last edited:
There were other wars after WW2. There was the Korean War, the Vietnam War, the Cold War, the Gulf War (1 and 2) and the current War on Terror. There were no wars during the Clinton Administration.

That’s my point, Truman & Ike managed to reduce the national debt (as a portion of GDP) while involved in Korea. Johnson, Kennedy and Nixon also managed to reduce the national debt as a portion of GDP throughout the Vietnam war. Where you see the huge jump in the increase in debt to GDP was under Regan, during a period of relative peace and prosperity. By 1980 we had just about paid off WW2, Korea and Vietnam, Regan comes in with a “fiscally conservative” policy and manages to erase 30 years of fiscal responsibility.

When Clinton take over we are at our highest Debt/GDP ratio since the Eisenhower administration and manages to make a substantial dent in the Debt to GDP ratio.

Oh, but I forgot that the truism that nothing Clinton did was ever right and nothing Regan did was ever wrong.

In reality Clinton was the “fiscal conservative” and Regan spent MY generation’s money like it was going out of style.

Forum List

Back