What about our elderly citizens?

Dear idiot, The feds have and can do something about this care.

Because you dont like them doing this does not mean they cant

And it is not going to happen except through medicaid or medicare. YOU want help for those people? TALK to the State. Don't believe me, BUT do the research. You will discover that the STATE runs those programs, hell you even admitted it in the opening post.

TALK to your State reps, they are the ones that are going to listen more and have more of a chance of actually helping.

Dear idiot, The feds have and can do something about this care.

Because you dont like them doing this does not mean they cant

That's right. With you it's always the responsibility of Big Government to take care of the minute details of our lives.

I work for an agency that provides non-medical in-home services to elderly ppl who no longer can take care of themselves in their homes. Most of them are low-income. Our goal is to keep them out of nursing homes, so we bathe them, do light housekeeping, shopping, laundry and run errands. We also relieve their caregivers by staying with the elderly client so the caregiver can do things they need to do. My problem is that our state government cannot appropriately fund the contracted agency we work for so that we can provide the service, which results in a very long list of elderly ppl waiting to be served. For example, I received paperwork on a client whose service was opened but when I called the daughter she told me the client had been placed in a nursing home several months earlier. It is truly sad. These are ppl who were once teachers, laboreres, farmers, etc. What is even sadder is that a lot of these ppl have children who only see them when they receive their social security check. You know the reason why. What can I do to help these ppl. I've written Mitch McConnel who is our state's Senator but it doesn't look like he's paying my e-mail any attention!
Send Mitch an actual hard copy letter by snail-mail, or even fax with signature.

I work for an agency that provides non-medical in-home services to elderly ppl who no longer can take care of themselves in their homes. Most of them are low-income. Our goal is to keep them out of nursing homes, so we bathe them, do light housekeeping, shopping, laundry and run errands. We also relieve their caregivers by staying with the elderly client so the caregiver can do things they need to do. My problem is that our state government cannot appropriately fund the contracted agency we work for so that we can provide the service, which results in a very long list of elderly ppl waiting to be served. For example, I received paperwork on a client whose service was opened but when I called the daughter she told me the client had been placed in a nursing home several months earlier. It is truly sad. These are ppl who were once teachers, laboreres, farmers, etc. What is even sadder is that a lot of these ppl have children who only see them when they receive their social security check. You know the reason why. What can I do to help these ppl. I've written Mitch McConnel who is our state's Senator but it doesn't look like he's paying my e-mail any attention!

People like you have a hell of a hard job - both physically and emotionally - and I applaud you. Don't know where you are located in KY but I'm sure you're well aware of the financial difficulties in some of the more rural areas - which is not to say there are no financial difficulties in metro areas. Almost all the states are running on "empty tanks" and there's no question the US government is running on "empty." Finances have been squandered for decades on nonsense straight across the board and the bleeding needs to stop.

You're absolutely right about the sadness of the situation. The mother of a friend of mine had home health care as well as 24/7 sitters to do stuff she could no longer do as well as to "be there" to act in case of an emergency situation. She had a really bad setback that required a week or so of in-hospital care to get her stabilized and she's now in a nursing home. She and her late husband had the foresight to get burial plans taken care of and to get nursing home insurance "just in case." After 45 years with a private health insurer, when it came to nursing home care the insurer made life a living hell for her children. Approving nursing home coverage then two days later denying the coverage, her daughter was jumping through hoops getting appeals, the coverage got reinstated only to be denied again a couple days later. The nursing home insurance doesn't kick in until she's been in the nursing home for some period of time. In the meantime, she's having to shell out $5,000/month plus out of pocket. Medicare coverage is out of the question because she's not flat out broke. (As I recall, when my Dad was in a nursing home he could not have over $420 in "assets" per year or his Medicare coverage would be cut off. I had to take his money and buy him a burial plot to get rid of his "assets" in order to keep his Medicare coverage. And that was some 20 years ago.)

There's a reason why government wants to do away with the elderly altogether (death panels) - they're not somebody's mother or father or grandparent - they're useless to an already overcrowded population and are just taking up space and using up oxygen. End of story. That's the same reason abortion is pushed so hard - not women's rights to control their own bodies - it's a matter of getting rid of "undesirables" - population control. Read the PIG Guide to Environmentalism to see how it all ties in.

Last edited:
There's a reason why government wants to do away with the elderly altogether (death panels) - they're not somebody's mother or father or grandparent - they're useless to an already overcrowded population and are just taking up space and using up oxygen. End of story. That's the same reason abortion is pushed so hard - not women's rights to control their own bodies - it's a matter of getting rid of "undesirables" - population control. Read the PIG Guide to Environmentalism to see how it all ties in.

Where we are headed with this is that the age to receive SS will increase to 70+, and the age at which expensive care will be denied by the Feds will be the same age.

Once a person stops paying taxes, he will be considered a burden and a not cost effective consumer of resources.

It makes me wonder how much income and wealth were taxed away from these people so that they don't have the means to pay for their own care.

I thought you said poor people don't pay taxes?

It makes me wonder how much income and wealth were taxed away from these people so that they don't have the means to pay for their own care.

I thought you said poor people don't pay taxes?

I never said any such thing.

If they have jobs, they pay SS and Medicare, which will be bankrupt by the time they retire. They pay sales taxes, gasoline taxes, cigarette taxes, property taxes (directly or indirectly) and a host of excise taxes on other things. They also pay the very heavy tax via inflation as the Fed's monetary policy inflates away the value of their earning ability.

And the government now wants to put a tax on their heart beats via Cap & Tax.

Last edited:

People like you have a hell of a hard job - both physically and emotionally - and I applaud you. Don't know where you are located in KY but I'm sure you're well aware of the financial difficulties in some of the more rural areas - which is not to say there are no financial difficulties in metro areas. Almost all the states are running on "empty tanks" and there's no question the US government is running on "empty." Finances have been squandered for decades on nonsense straight across the board and the bleeding needs to stop.

You're absolutely right about the sadness of the situation. The mother of a friend of mine had home health care as well as 24/7 sitters to do stuff she could no longer do as well as to "be there" to act in case of an emergency situation. She had a really bad setback that required a week or so of in-hospital care to get her stabilized and she's now in a nursing home. She and her late husband had the foresight to get burial plans taken care of and to get nursing home insurance "just in case." After 45 years with a private health insurer, when it came to nursing home care the insurer made life a living hell for her children. Approving nursing home coverage then two days later denying the coverage, her daughter was jumping through hoops getting appeals, the coverage got reinstated only to be denied again a couple days later. The nursing home insurance doesn't kick in until she's been in the nursing home for some period of time. In the meantime, she's having to shell out $5,000/month plus out of pocket. Medicare coverage is out of the question because she's not flat out broke. (As I recall, when my Dad was in a nursing home he could not have over $420 in "assets" per year or his Medicare coverage would be cut off. I had to take his money and buy him a burial plot to get rid of his "assets" in order to keep his Medicare coverage. And that was some 20 years ago.)

Granny, thanks so much for understanding. I truly hope the govenment of our country does not want to do away with the elderly...these ppl are very kind, loving and generous Americans who have given their lives to serve our country in war and communities and who have raised the doctors, lawyers, etc. who also serve us. It would be an abomination. I am not that far from the elderly label, and to think that I would have to suffer as they do is really scary. BTW, I'm from Louisville...home of the Kentucky Derby!

Last edited:

Granny, thanks so much for understanding. I truly hope the govenment of our country does not want to do away with the elderly...these ppl are very kind, loving and generous Americans who have given their lives to serve our country in war and communities and who have raised the doctors, lawyers, etc. who also serve us. It would be an abomination. I am not that far from the elderly label, and to think that I would have to suffer as they do is really scary. BTW, I'm from Louisville...home of the Kentucky Derby!

Maybe it's about time people get back to looking out for their own. Rely on the government you pretty much deserve what you get.

This is what pisses me off about this scenario.... Why the fuck is it the governments duty to provide care for people? Why are their neighbors not helping? Where are the churches to help care for their elderly? What happened to just decent behavior?

Getr them in a nursing home on Medicaid so the government can take their homes they worked all their lives to pay for.
Or get them in nursing homes so the medical/pharma industry can get tax dollars caring for them.
We must get every dime out of them we can before they die.

It is the American way.
In past days and in other countries the children care for their elderly parents.
Many Americans do not have time for this anymore.

also because of medical advances many more live to reach invalid status now than ever before.
A blessing or not?

Last edited:
Where I live we do have agencies that help the elderly, it's just not enough b/c of funding issues. This Thanksgiving the agency I work for along with Dare to Care provided cooked meals and boxes of dry goods and a five pound bag of potatoes that were delivered to the elderly citizens in our community. I am a supervisor of the Homecare Program at our agency and I coordinated the delivery of the boxes and potatoes to our clients. I had our employees to pick up the boxes and deliver them to the clients. I had several clients call and thank me for what they received and it really made me feel good. But like I said it is not enough. We also have a contract with a state agency who sends clients to us and although we do not turn any of them down we get some who need to be in nursing homes. But our goal is to keep them in their homes. We are a non-medical agency so we can only do light housekeeping, laundry, shopping and run errands. We also provide services to clients who can pay and that's when we do more. What I am saying is that, I wish we could get more funding so that the clients who are low-income can have more services that they need. I wrote our Senator about it but I have yet to hear from him.

Casper - it is a shame. My friend's mother (age 93) graduated from UT with a teaching degree. Her first assignment was in a one room school somewhere in Kentucky before getting a job in her native TN. She taught at least half the population of her country and some of her students did become the doctors, lawyers, pharmacists, business people in their community. Everybody remembers her and the positive influence she had on their lives and some have repaid her by via free professional services or other help. She had a passion for books and for a long time was a librarian who still gave a hand to teachers from time to time. She could read about a book a day. Today, she's lucky if she doesn't fall to sleep after reading a few paragraphs. It's painful to know that such a good mind is slowly slipping away.

Last edited:
Granny, it's a shame that b/c these elderly ppl have no other resources to help them stay in their homes and they have to rely on a state government runned program to help them they are accused of not being independent enough. BUT when the ppl who say that get into the same situation themselves, then they will know what it's all about won't they?

Last edited:
Where I live we do have agencies that help the elderly, it's just not enough b/c of funding issues. This Thanksgiving the agency I work for along with Dare to Care provided cooked meals and boxes of dry goods and a five pound bag of potatoes that were delivered to the elderly citizens in our community. I am a supervisor of the Homecare Program at our agency and I coordinated the delivery of the boxes and potatoes to our clients. I had our employees to pick up the boxes and deliver them to the clients. I had several clients call and thank me for what they received and it really made me feel good. But like I said it is not enough. We also have a contract with a state agency who sends clients to us and although we do not turn any of them down we get some who need to be in nursing homes. But our goal is to keep them in their homes. We are a non-medical agency so we can only do light housekeeping, laundry, shopping and run errands. We also provide services to clients who can pay and that's when we do more. What I am saying is that, I wish we could get more funding so that the clients who are low-income can have more services that they need. I wrote our Senator about it but I have yet to hear from him.

You wrote your US senator. I repeat, write your STATE Senator and your STATE Representative, write your Governor. They are where the money comes from. Not the Federal Government. You are writing the wrong person.

Granny, it's a shame that b/c these elderly ppl have no other resources to help them stay in their homes and they have to rely on a state government runned program to help them they are accused of not being independent enough. BUT when the ppl who say that get into the same situation themselves, then they will know what it's all about won't they?

Well, eventually, we all get old. It's always easier for the young (or stupid) to judge the elderly ... until they get old - then the "rules" don't apply. Sometimes the demands of the young (or stupid) become horrendous when they find out the consequences of their "wants," "needs," and demands of youth now apply to them.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back