What a way to spend the NEW YEAR!!!

dartfrog

Rookie
Dec 31, 2010
First of all I would like to Hello and HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone one here in the forum. So I wake up this morning with what has to be one of my worst migraines in a few years. This one is a doozy, no matter what I try I just can't not get rid of it. I've tried several of some home remedies that have worked for me in the past. The warm bath and some hot compress across my head. Needless to say this has not left in a festive mood. If feel emotionally terrible because every time I get these migraines, I get agitated quite easily and don't want to be bothered. To make matters worse this year I thought it would be a cool idea to take the family to the Caribbean for New Year's. Little did i know that New Year's in Puerto Rico is celebrated the same way we celebrate the 4th of July, that's right a whole lot of FIREWORKS. I know it's my first post here but I just wanted to vent a little bit. Anyhow Happy New YEAR to all and may your new year start off better than mine will.

PS....Just drank a little bit of black coffee. I've done this in the past and I've had some good results soothing the migraines a bit. Hopefully it works tonight but if all these fireworks going off i tend to doubt it. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

First of all I would like to Hello and HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone one here in the forum. So I wake up this morning with what has to be one of my worst migraines in a few years. This one is a doozy, no matter what I try I just can't not get rid of it. I've tried several of some home remedies that have worked for me in the past. The warm bath and some hot compress across my head. Needless to say this has not left in a festive mood. If feel emotionally terrible because every time I get these migraines, I get agitated quite easily and don't want to be bothered. To make matters worse this year I thought it would be a cool idea to take the family to the Caribbean for New Year's. Little did i know that New Year's in Puerto Rico is celebrated the same way we celebrate the 4th of July, that's right a whole lot of FIREWORKS. I know it's my first post here but I just wanted to vent a little bit. Anyhow Happy New YEAR to all and may your new year start off better than mine will.

PS....Just drank a little bit of black coffee. I've done this in the past and I've had some good results soothing the migraines a bit. Hopefully it works tonight but if all these fireworks going off i tend to doubt it. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Hope it gets better. You might be eligible for medical marajuana, I hear it helps migranes.

Excedrin Migraine usually works in 15 mins unless you have a tumor.

Have you tried cafergot? (do not take if pregnant)
Cafergot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cafergot is better than nothing, but barely (at least for me). It was all there was 30 years ago, but the new stuff is so much better than Cafergot. You have to catch the migraine immediately at the onset or it does nothing. Also, it has some significant blood pressure implications that you should be aware of before taking (as they all do).

Naproxin, Immitrex, or any of the nasal inhalants work best for me. Within 15 minutes, all gone and back to normal.

And I NEVER go on vacation without at least a couple of them in my bag. I rarely have to use them, but when a migraine comes, I would stab myself in the throat with a rusty nail if it would make the pain go away :)

I get blinding migraines, too.

They happen to me (I think) because of photosensitivity.

When they first start out I find that I have dazzling blindspots in my field of vision.

If I do not immediately shut my eyes to all light and wait it out (i.e. if I try to keep working) the headache that follows is so acute that the pain makes me sick to my stomach and lasts all day long.

If I do stop working and close my eyes for usually about a half hour or so (until the twinklies in my field of view stop happening) then I merely have a dull pain for the rest of the day.

All it typically takes to cause this problem is a sudden flash of bright light coming at my from an oblique angle when my eyes are focusing on something in front of my field of view that is less bright.

Needless to say my gray-blue eyes were not meant for sunny climes.

I started developing crows feet around my eyes when I was about thirteen because my eyes just cannot take bright light, and cannot quickly adapt to quickly and significantly changing lighting conditions.

I even have to squint in bright light when I'm wearing sunglasses.

Pinching the nerves between your thumb and index finger often helps as well. I've tried this and occasionally, it will stop the pain for a bit, but never permanently. You have to pinch REALLY HARD between the base of the thumb and the index finger of the OPPOSITE side hand of where the pain is in your head. You'll feel the nerve when you're on it (it is also a pressure point used by law enforcement to take control of a combatant).

Like I said, it doesn't always work, and it may be psychosomatic, but it has helped me in the past, for momentary relief.

Forum List

Back