what a shame .

froggy

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2009
Same-sex marriage bill in DC appears unstoppable
By JESSICA GRESKO Associated Press Writer The Associated Press
Tuesday, October 6, 2009 5:25 PM EDT

The bill was nearly certain to pass the D.C. city council, but whether it becomes law is more complicated because Congress gets an opportunity to review D.C. legislation before it takes effect. Still, even challengers in Congress acknowledged the bill was likely to become law.

The city began in July recognizing same-sex marriages performed elsewhere. Congress had a chance to act on that legislation but didn't.

U.S. Rep. Jason Chaffetz, a Republican from Utah who said he would work to defeat the new bill, anticipates that will happen again with the proposal. A spokesman for House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said she believed it was a matter for D.C. to decide.

D.C. Councilman David Catania introduced the new measure at a standing-room only council meeting. The independent and one of two openly gay council members said he hopes for a vote in December.

"There is no question that we are about to embark on an exciting journey here in the district," he said.

His bill specifically says religious leaders and institutions are not required to perform the marriages or rent their space for same-sex ceremonies unless they let the public use or rent them.

If the bill becomes law, the city will follow Massachusetts, Connecticut, Iowa and Vermont, which issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples. New Hampshire will begin issuing them in January.

Edited for copyright violations.

just look at amer. as seen by other countries were not america the great its been going down hill ever since god was striped from leading this great country.

I hope we do the same thing here in washington and let people marry whoever they want. :)

just look at amer. as seen by other countries were not america the great its been going down hill ever since god was striped from leading this great country.

Is that "striped" as in tiger or zebra, or "striped' as in chained and whipped?

Actually, it's sense the Fed grew and started spending beyond its means, we ceased being the only nation with nukes, and the rest of the world realized we weren't invincible.

:lol: I would love to know why those who are against Gay Marriage seem to think it affects their lives. While at the same time say that those who don't like them owning a gun is "tough luck". :eusa_eh:

:lol: I would love to know why those who are against Gay Marriage seem to think it affects their lives. While at the same time say that those who don't like them owning a gun is "tough luck". :eusa_eh:
is almost always brought up on message boards by right-wingers who (apparently) feel that not allowing them to marry their secret gay lover is the onyl thing keeping their marriage intact?

^My theory^

If you don't like guns, don't get a gun"

Makes sense, right?

"If you don't like gay marriages- fight tooth and nail to keep the queers from ruining your marriage"

?!

WTF's up with that?
Lack of consistency is a sign on not thinking

bad comparison Bert....one is a constitutional right.....pick something else.....you might fare better....

Hey, would you happen to be the wingnut who painted this?

i think your living in your own little space and can't see beyond it.

And I think you're projecting. But hey, stay in your dreary little oh-god-my-poor-america-is-going-down-the-shitter space. I'm good where I am in the real world.

Have fun looking for the anti-Christ, btw.

Me, I already found Jesus.

:D

:D

This whole gay issue has been one of the most nonsensical on the right to me.
It affects no one except the people in the relationship. Just because it makes them feel "funny" to see it.
I think once the whole divorce issue comes up the whole thing will be turned on it's ear, anyway.
The gays might realize how good they had it in some respects.
But the conservatives should really quit fighting this. It's gonna happen eventually.
And in a generation it will be totally normal.

Forum List

Back