What a game last sunday! Seahawks 21, Giants 6

dmp

May 12, 2004
Enterprise, Alabama
;)

NFL: Officials wrong on two TD calls for Giants
Associated Press

KIRKLAND, Wash. -- The Seahawks received rare word from the NFL that referee Larry Nemmers erred Sunday on the New York Giants' two touchdowns in Seattle's 24-21 overtime victory.

"I had a conversation with the league, and there were mistakes that were made, which we felt at the time," said Seattle coach Mike Holmgren, one of eight men on the NFL competition committee that oversees rules and game operations.

The NFL said touchdown catches made by Jeremy Shockey and Amani Toomer shouldn't have been ruled completions.

Coaches from around the league routinely submit disputed plays after games to NFL officiating chief Mike Pereira and his staff for review. They usually get a response midweek, though that response is usually never made public.

And, practically speaking, teams usually get nothing more than a "sorry" if the league agrees with a coach's contention, because results are not changed.

Sunday, with 1:14 left in the second quarter and the Seahawks leading 7-3, Shockey briefly caught a 7-yard pass from Eli Manning in the center of the end zone. Seattle safety Marquand Manuel then lowered his right shoulder into Shockey and forced the ball to the turf, though officials signaled a touchdown.

Jim Blackwood, the replay review official, buzzed Nemmers, an NFL game official for 21 years, and asked him to review the play to determine if Shockey had possession long enough to constitute a catch.

After a few moments, Nemmers emerged from under the hooded replay monitor beyond the sideline and declared Shockey did secure possession before losing the ball. The touchdown stood and the Giants took a 10-7 lead into halftime.

With 2:03 left in regulation, Toomer leaped high and caught another pass at the back of the end zone. Toomer got his left foot down inside the end line and then appeared to drag the toes of his right shoe into his left as it hit the turf.

At least that's what game officials concluded on the field -- and what Nemmers concluded after reviewing Holmgren's challenge to that call.

That score, and the Shockey's subsequent 2-point conversion catch, tied it at 21 with 1:59 left.

Holmgren said he was told by game officials there was not enough indisputable visual evidence to overturn either touchdown.

"Look, I get excited about it, just like any coach would, especially if you think it might cost you a ball game. But it's a tough job," Holmgren said. "Officials have a tough job. They are honest guys doing the best they can.

"You hope replay would help, if everything would function properly. And I would say 99 percent of the time it does, it works.

"And then there's a couple times for whatever reason, it doesn't work."

Replay rules state a play must be reviewed before the next play begins and that only a replay official -- and not a coach -- can call for a review during the last two minutes of a half or the entire overtime period.

In overtime Sunday, Holmgren called timeout to give the press box replay review official more time to summon Nemmers for a review of Shockey's 16-yard reception on which he again lost the ball after initially grabbing it. Nemmers ruled Shockey did not maintain possession long enough for a catch, reversing the on-field call.

Holmgren said he was surprised he had to spend a timeout to give the replay official more time.

"It's like, OK, we're playing the game and those guys are upstairs doing whatever they are doing," Holmgren said. "Now we get to within the final 2-minute area (of a half) or when they are on, and I'm thinking they should be concentrating.

"So that was a little bit scary there. That should have been done a little sooner, in my opinion."

Seahawks 21 - Feely 0.

Who missed a 40 yard field goal - SHORT....?

One thing I will say about the Seahawks bro....if Indy reaches week 16 still undefeated, the Seahawks better beat them.

I don't want anyone catching Miami's undefeated record.

GotZoom said:
Seahawks 21 - Feely 0.

Who missed a 40 yard field goal - SHORT....?

One thing I will say about the Seahawks bro....if Indy reaches week 16 still undefeated, the Seahawks better beat them.

I don't want anyone catching Miami's undefeated record.

...but those field goals very well should have never been attempted, as Seattle very easily could have been ahead by 15 points (assuming both 'called' TDs could have been FG's instead).

:D

huh. Apparently not.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2241040

NFL says refs didn't blow calls on Giants TDsESPN.com news services

The NFL on Tuesday defended two touchdown calls by officials during the Seattle Seahawks 24-21 overtime win against the New York Giants on Sunday.

Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren had said Monday that the league had admitted officiating errors to the team.

"I had a conversation with the league, and there were mistakes that were made, which we felt at the time," Holmgren said.

The league, however, strongly denied any second-guessing about two Giants touchdown passes.

"The report that the NFL informed the Seahawks of officiating mistakes on two Giants touchdown receptions is inaccurate," the league said in a statement.

"Our officiating department never discussed with the Seahawks the Amani Toomer touchdown reception, which was properly called. The Jeremy Shockey touchdown catch at the end of the first half was not overturned because the referee determined that there was insufficient visual evidence to reverse the call."

Holmgren's disclosure is being reviewed as a potential violation of league policy, which says that a coach is not allowed to publicly divulge confidential conversations with the officiating department, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported. Holmgren may be subject to a fine and his access to the officiating office could be restricted for a limited amount of time.

Sunday, with 1:14 left in the second quarter and the Seahawks leading 7-3, Shockey briefly caught a 7-yard pass from Eli Manning in the center of the end zone. Seattle safety Marquand Manuel then lowered his right shoulder into Shockey and forced the ball to the turf, though officials signaled a touchdown.

Jim Blackwood, the replay review official, buzzed Nemmers, an NFL game official for 21 years, and asked him to review the play to determine if Shockey had possession long enough to constitute a catch.

After a few moments, Nemmers emerged from under the hooded replay monitor beyond the sideline and declared Shockey did secure possession before losing the ball. The touchdown stood and the Giants took a 10-7 lead into halftime.

With 2:03 left in regulation, Toomer leaped high and caught another pass at the back of the end zone. Toomer got his left foot down inside the end line and then appeared to drag the toes of his right shoe into his left as it hit the turf.

At least that's what game officials concluded on the field -- and what Nemmers concluded after reviewing Holmgren's challenge to that call.

That score, and the Shockey's subsequent two-point conversion catch, tied it at 21 with 1:59 left.

Holmgren said he was told by game officials there was not enough indisputable visual evidence to overturn either touchdown.

"Look, I get excited about it, just like any coach would, especially if you think it might cost you a ball game. But it's a tough job," Holmgren said. "Officials have a tough job. They are honest guys doing the best they can."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Its all moot but man the NFL sure has a stick up their ass when it comes to privacy.

Forum List

Back