What a freaking MORON// Lady on NBC says she hates the religious part of Christmas

I don't believe in Christ and I don't go to mass....but Christmas is fun.

I don't go to Mass either. That would be for Catholics.

Well you should. It IS called ChristMAS for that reason, you know.

Because at the time, Catholicism was basically the only Christianity in town. Such is no longer the case, and we call them "services". You DID know there've been a couple of schisms from the Catholic Church over the years, right? Just a few, nothing major, only changed the course of history, no reason you should know about them.

Secular bullshit on national TV.. Free speech and all..

I love the lady who said "Jesus is the reason for the season." They call it Christmas for a reason.

They invented Christianity, and are the ones who usurped Pagan Holidays, since folks hated giving them up, obviously. Life was boring as shit, with no TV, etc. So festivals were highly prized.

In fact, that's what put Christians on the map: Communion, which was a weekly party and gathering for a huge meal and drinking of wine. Potluck kinda deal. Huge appeal. Rather than seasonal holidays, which Pagans had, Christians had a party every week; and Black Churches are still very much like that. All day affairs, often. Only modern churches have made it a line-up and have a wafer deal.

There is no religion in christmas unless you as an individual put it there.

I beg your pardon?

Christmas = Christ's Mass

Are you asserting that Christ isn't religious?

I am asserting that that's what the day stands for for you NOT ME

Just like Halloween has other historical meanings that I don't give two cents about. Its a day just like any other.

Well you should. It IS called ChristMAS for that reason, you know.

Sure; the Vatican wanted to stamp out Paganism, with inquisitions, burning folks at the stake, etc. And it just wasn't making headway. So in addition to Communion, the weekly benefit of being Christian, they, admitting, not knowing when Christ was born, made the Winter Solstice, Christmas. Also, the first Sunday, after the first full moon of spring, Easter. Also, masses held on SUNday, which Latin-speaking folks changed to God-day. (Domingo)

They invented Christianity, and are the ones who usurped Pagan Holidays, since folks hated giving them up, obviously. Life was boring as shit, with no TV, etc. So festivals were highly prized.

In fact, that's what put Christians on the map: Communion, which was a weekly party and gathering for a huge meal and drinking of wine. Potluck kinda deal. Huge appeal. Rather than seasonal holidays, which Pagans had, Christians had a party every week; and Black Churches are still very much like that. All day affairs, often. Only modern churches have made it a line-up and have a wafer deal.

No. They just inheritted it.

Organized religion is just like the mob.

I often think it is just a crutch for those who hold themselves in low esteem. Everyone has a moral compass but some need to be told what to do.

Not true. Niether Christ nor his followers were Christians. They were Jews, albeit, radical apocalyptic Jews. A couple hundred years later, they created a religion, which with help of a Roman Emperor, became the Roman Catholic Church, from which all Christian faiths derive.

There is no religion in christmas unless you as an individual put it there.

I beg your pardon?

Just like Halloween has other historical meanings that I don't give two cents about. Its a day just like any other.

Fair enough. Do you agree with the woman from NBC?

No, the FACT is that Christmas takes place at the same time of year at which a pagan holiday was once, many centuries ago, also celebrated. What you stated was your OPINION that that made them the same holiday.

Look it up,it is FACT not opinion.

Sorry, Sparkles, but "I'm sure everyone agrees with me, so you just go find out whether they do or not while we operate on the assumption that I'm correct" will not work here. Thanks for not even trying to be original.

Meanwhile, the FACT, as I have stated before and which you would have understood in all those things you THOUGHT were telling you that Christians "borrowed a pagan holiday", is that Christians REPLACED a pagan holiday.

Sadly, I cannot advise you to go look up reading comprehension. I can only advise you to acquire some.

And before you bore me with another repetition of "No, I'm right. I'm just right. I'm right", let's just put an end to this now.

From History.com:

In the early years of Christianity, Easter was the main holiday; the birth of Jesus was not celebrated. In the fourth century, church officials decided to institute the birth of Jesus as a holiday. Unfortunately, the Bible does not mention date for his birth (a fact Puritans later pointed out in order to deny the legitimacy of the celebration). Although some evidence suggests that his birth may have occurred in the spring (why would shepherds be herding in the middle of winter?), Pope Julius I chose December 25. It is commonly believed that the church chose this date in an effort to adopt and absorb the traditions of the pagan Saturnalia festival. First called the Feast of the Nativity, the custom spread to Egypt by 432 and to England by the end of the sixth century. By the end of the eighth century, the celebration of Christmas had spread all the way to Scandinavia. Today, in the Greek and Russian orthodox churches, Christmas is celebrated 13 days after the 25th, which is also referred to as the Epiphany or Three Kings Day. This is the day it is believed that the three wise men finally found Jesus in the manger.

By holding Christmas at the same time as traditional winter solstice festivals, church leaders increased the chances that Christmas would be popularly embraced, but gave up the ability to dictate how it was celebrated. By the Middle Ages, Christianity had, for the most part, replaced pagan religion.

Once again, replacing something is not the same as BEING that thing. Duuuhhh.

Well there Precious . www.essortment.com/christmas-pagan-origins.42543.html. Please try real hard to notice pagan origins .I know it hard to realize especially someone like you that origins and replacing has two completely different meanings.Geeze thick as a brick . OH BTW you know what they say about assuming right? NEXT LMFAO

I beg your pardon?

I didn't even read the link. I say let others believe what they choose and practice your own faith if you so choose. I see a lot of intolerance on both sides

Not true. Niether Christ nor his followers were Christians. They were Jews, albeit, radical apocalyptic Jews. A couple hundred years later, they created a religion, which with help of a Roman Emperor, became the Roman Catholic Church, from which all Christian faiths derive.

And I should add, those who started early Christianity, which become the RCC, may have fabricated the entire Jesus story. Or perhaps it was something passed down over the 200 years, and is based on real persons, albeit no doubt embellished. It's impossible to say since obviously no Google nor YouTube in those days. And not a shred of evidence found as to his existence. So it's anyone's call.

But some things don't wash, i.e. the crucifixion. No way a lance would have been stuck into him, allowing him to bleed out in a few hours, which would be merciful in crucifixions, which disjoint shoulders, causing excrutiating pain, lasting days before dying of exposure and dehydration. It was a gruesome way to die, and perfected in its gruesomeness. No way they'd screw it up by letting him bleed out relatively quickly.

Last edited:

I didn't even read the link. I say let others believe what they choose and practice your own faith if you so choose. I see a lot of intolerance on both sides

Her comment was that she "hated the religious part of Christmas."

I think 'hated' demonstrates an extreme lack of 'tolerance', besides being logically fallacious.

Look it up,it is FACT not opinion.

Sorry, Sparkles, but "I'm sure everyone agrees with me, so you just go find out whether they do or not while we operate on the assumption that I'm correct" will not work here. Thanks for not even trying to be original.

Meanwhile, the FACT, as I have stated before and which you would have understood in all those things you THOUGHT were telling you that Christians "borrowed a pagan holiday", is that Christians REPLACED a pagan holiday.

Sadly, I cannot advise you to go look up reading comprehension. I can only advise you to acquire some.

And before you bore me with another repetition of "No, I'm right. I'm just right. I'm right", let's just put an end to this now.

From History.com:

In the early years of Christianity, Easter was the main holiday; the birth of Jesus was not celebrated. In the fourth century, church officials decided to institute the birth of Jesus as a holiday. Unfortunately, the Bible does not mention date for his birth (a fact Puritans later pointed out in order to deny the legitimacy of the celebration). Although some evidence suggests that his birth may have occurred in the spring (why would shepherds be herding in the middle of winter?), Pope Julius I chose December 25. It is commonly believed that the church chose this date in an effort to adopt and absorb the traditions of the pagan Saturnalia festival. First called the Feast of the Nativity, the custom spread to Egypt by 432 and to England by the end of the sixth century. By the end of the eighth century, the celebration of Christmas had spread all the way to Scandinavia. Today, in the Greek and Russian orthodox churches, Christmas is celebrated 13 days after the 25th, which is also referred to as the Epiphany or Three Kings Day. This is the day it is believed that the three wise men finally found Jesus in the manger.

By holding Christmas at the same time as traditional winter solstice festivals, church leaders increased the chances that Christmas would be popularly embraced, but gave up the ability to dictate how it was celebrated. By the Middle Ages, Christianity had, for the most part, replaced pagan religion.

Once again, replacing something is not the same as BEING that thing. Duuuhhh.

Well there Precious . www.essortment.com/christmas-pagan-origins.42543.html. Please try real hard to notice pagan origins .I know it hard to realize especially someone like you that origins and replacing has two completely different meanings.Geeze thick as a brick . OH BTW you know what they say about assuming right? NEXT LMFAO

Hard to notice anything when you can't figure out how to post a link that works, Punkin. Maybe you should give your favorite blog or whatever a rest and look at OTHER sources . . . perhaps some that maintain their links?

Christ organized a Church while in His Mortal ministry. He called and authorized Twelve Apostes and Seventies. He sent them out preaching the Gospel and organizing the righteous. This organization was not the same organization that was built with the help of the Roman Emperor. They inherited what was left after the Apostasy.

That wasn't CHRISTmas - yeah they adopted the same time of the year because it helped them incorporate "pagans" into "Christian" society without too much fuss.

I support this woman's right to celebrate the way she chooses and to speak her mind. But I disagree with her. Christ is the reason I celebrate this season.

As is YOUR right,celebrate it the way you want, as can she. It was a PAGAN holiday first that the christians happened to borrow.LOL

No, dear. There was a pagan holiday which Christians REPLACED.

My daughter's birthday was on Thanksgiving this year. Does that mean Thanksgiving is ACTUALLY a celebration of my daughter's birth?

I suggest that you celebrate the pagan holiday and I will celebrate Christmas.

And I should add, those who started early Christianity, which become the RCC, may have fabricated the entire Jesus story. Or perhaps it was something passed down over the 200 years, and is based on real persons, albeit no doubt embellished. It's impossible to say since obviously no Google nor YouTube in those days. And not a shred of evidence found as to his existence. So it's anyone's call.

But some things don't wash, i.e. the crucifixion. No way a lance would have been stuck into him, allowing him to bleed out in a few hours, which would be merciful in crucifixions, which disjoint shoulders, causing excrutiating pain, lasting days before dying of exposure and dehydration. It was a gruesome way to die, and perfected in its gruesomeness. No way they'd screw it up by letting him bleed out relatively quickly.

You aren't factoring in the Jewish Sabbath.

Forum List

Back