What a brilliant history lesson!

I asked my son what the people he knew from East Germany had to say. His comments were "That they were glad to have it ended". So I asked what the worst thing any of them said about their life there was. He said that 2 people he knew talked a lot about the military training they had while in school.

My son lived in Germany from the time he was 13 until he was 25.

No need to do so. I provided the link and you look like the moron you are. Or, you just have nothing left but dishonesty. Either way, your choice.

You are so very easy. :lol:

i did not lie. ....
Bullshit. Your lie:
Why would I be interested in anti-vaccine propaganda?

because of the other thread about mercury and vaccines. ....
My link shows the thread where I am clearly NOT anti-vaccine.

Liar.

And, now you attempt to weasel out. Totally expected of one with no character.

i am super-patient with you.

i did not say you were anti-vaccine.

i said in one case you are against propaganda (anti-vaccine), in one you are for it (anti-communist).

i can understand the mental anguish you must suffer while trying to overcome this cognitive dissonance.

this probably keeps you from being capable of processing my posts, well that and you have an irrational **** day, again.

now fuck off. end of patience.

i did not lie. ....
Bullshit. Your lie:
My link shows the thread where I am clearly NOT anti-vaccine.

Liar.

i am super-patient with you. ....
Don't tax yourself on my account.

.... i did not say you were anti-vaccine. ....
Weasel.
L.K.Eder said:
Si modo said:
Why would I be interested in anti-vaccine propaganda?

.... i said in one case you are against propaganda (anti-vaccine), in one you are for it (anti-communist). ....
Only AFTER lying about my view. You lied (quoted for all to see) and you can't own up to it. (Or, you're just too embarrassed to admit that you have no reading comprehension skills with respect to that other thread.)

.... i can understand the mental anguish you must suffer while trying to overcome this cognitive dissonance. ....
Of course you can't understand it. It's only your projection and non-existent.

Idiot.

The students and the community were involved in celebrating an historic event. That is brilliant. If you'd like to test the students on what factual knowledge they gained from this experience, I suggest you contact the teacher directly. In fact the naysayers have a facebook page. Sheeez.

Bullshit. Your lie:My link shows the thread where I am clearly NOT anti-vaccine.

Liar.

Weasel.

.... i said in one case you are against propaganda (anti-vaccine), in one you are for it (anti-communist). ....
Only AFTER lying about my view. You lied (quoted for all to see) and you can't own up to it. (Or, you're just too embarrassed to admit that you have no reading comprehension skills with respect to that other thread.)

.... i can understand the mental anguish you must suffer while trying to overcome this cognitive dissonance. ....

Idiot.

:clap2:

i was arguing against the anti-vaccine propaganda in the other thread, i saw what you did there. you were on my side of the argument there.

i am arguing against propaganda on this thread. and i see what you are doing here. you are not on my side.

maybe you need a break, or you can ask someone you respect.

then you can come back and apologize.

Weasel.

Idiot.

i was arguing against the anti-vaccine propaganda in the other thread, i saw what you did there. you were on my side of the argument there.

i am arguing against propaganda on this thread. and i see what you are doing here. you are not on my side.

Lying weasels get no apologies from me.

Nor do communists. Fuck'em.

The students and the community were involved in celebrating an historic event. That is brilliant. If you'd like to test the students on what factual knowledge they gained from this experience, I suggest you contact the teacher directly. In fact the naysayers have a facebook page. Sheeez.

"celebrating an historic event", lol. brilliant.

your hedging is not convincing.

i guess the take-home message of the lesson was:

communism=bad.

:eek:

Weasel.

Idiot.

Lying weasels get no apologies from me.

Nor do communists. Fuck'em.

yeah, lying weasels are totally annoying n'shit.

so, i guess the apology will soon arrive? you can send it privately, too. to save some face.

Yes, I have a hard time believing that walking on the grass was an arrestable offense. Why make things worse than they were?

I think it's the same mind-think that feels that plastic bags and trans-fatty acids should be outlawed. How about turning your lights on while the sea-turtles are spawning. Places in Florida prohibit that.

Now go ahead and neg-rep me for lying.
No need, you show yourself to be an idiot with every post.

I've got no problem with turning your lights off when sea turtles are spawning. And I think outlawing plastic bags and trans fats is silly.

You're an asshole, no question. :clap2:

Everyone who gets to know me thinks otherwise. It doesn't seem to matter what their political leanings are.

The reason I don't get along with you is mostly your problem...not mine.

You're to one that seems to take everything personally.

I'm going to re-read the article and see where the kids may have gotten the info. But this was a club activity. I'm certain the teacher didn't dissect every source like the citation police on this forum. It was an event; not a doctoral dissertation. Sheeez.

Excellent observation. I have participated in and have also moderated similar events. The idea is not to make it realistic but on a small scale re-create the dynamics and feelings. To be in a system that is overly structured, where freedoms are limited, where pleasures others take for granted are denied, where there is fear of consequences for making a mistake and all this within sight of others who have no such restrictions and who are enjoying much more favorable circumstances is quite effective in teaching a lesson.

You can use the same dynamics to teach what discrimination feels like in an exercise in whicb all the brown eyed kids get goodies and fun things and all the blue eyed kids are denied them while they are told that blue eyed kids aren't as smart or as worthy as brown eyed kids. (A competent teacher will then reverse the roles so both sides experience being favored versus being unfairly discriminated against.)

Last edited:
"This was a project of the history club, and their idea was that students should really have an idea of what it was like to live in a communist state," said social studies teacher Patricia Johnston, who helped organize the project and served as the lead "comrade."

Students, with the help of a local landscaping company, erected a nearly 100-foot paper replica of the Berlin wall, complete with graffiti. It stood across the middle of the campus to mimic the concrete wall that separated communist East Germany from capitalist West Germany from 1961 to the end of 1989.

On the west side, students could walk around, socialize and behave as they normally do.

But on the east side, students could only walk on sidewalks, wear approved clothing (no hats, for instance) and had to behave in an orderly, controlled fashion.

Marine said some students protested the project, including setting up Facebook pages to rally the opposition. But Marine said the protests actually simulated similar efforts during the real German struggle and made the entire exercise more authentic.
Follow the rules, comrades ... or else | | HeraldTribune.com

Outstanding! :clap2:
No hats? No socializing? No walking anywhere other than a sidewalk? Sounds like it might have been a cool history club project if they'd actually made an effort to be accurate about life in East Germany under communism.

"This was a project of the history club, and their idea was that students should really have an idea of what it was like to live in a communist state," said social studies teacher Patricia Johnston, who helped organize the project and served as the lead "comrade."

Students, with the help of a local landscaping company, erected a nearly 100-foot paper replica of the Berlin wall, complete with graffiti. It stood across the middle of the campus to mimic the concrete wall that separated communist East Germany from capitalist West Germany from 1961 to the end of 1989.

On the west side, students could walk around, socialize and behave as they normally do.

But on the east side, students could only walk on sidewalks, wear approved clothing (no hats, for instance) and had to behave in an orderly, controlled fashion.

Marine said some students protested the project, including setting up Facebook pages to rally the opposition. But Marine said the protests actually simulated similar efforts during the real German struggle and made the entire exercise more authentic.
Follow the rules, comrades ... or else | | HeraldTribune.com

Outstanding! :clap2:
No hats? No socializing? No walking anywhere other than a sidewalk? Sounds like it might have been a cool history club project if they'd actually made an effort to be accurate about life in East Germany under communism.

the "wall" was just to pimp it.

i wonder if they put "graffiti" on both sides of the "wall".

01020147549600.jpg

Well I couldn't find a complete list of crimes and misdemeanors, so I assume the students came up with their own ideas. However:

East German laws had been modified to delete provisions empowering authorities to detain people for exercising freedom of expression, association, assembly, and movement. The East German prison population fell from 24,000 to 5,000 persons because so many political crimes had been abolished. Following unification, West Germany's criminal code was adopted, with minor modifications.

Germany Incidence of Crime and Incarceration - Flags, Maps, Economy, History, Climate, Natural Resources, Current Issues, International Agreements, Population, Social Statistics, Political System

That seemed rather superficial and more fascist or dictatorial than communist. But it is interesting that history gets so soon forgotten. Control of the citizens crosses all political ideologies even our democracy. A good history teacher could have fun with slavery or massacring Indians. But if it helps them think that's all to the good.

"R.D.Laing defines normality, as I say, as a "state of complicity in social fantasy systems" that leads to a surrender of what is most authentically individual and creative in the "normalized" person. Perhaps the utterly banal Adolf Eichman ("I have nothing against Jews, personally"), as described by Hannah Arendt, who is without an iota of rebellion but thoroughly at the service of the society in which he was reared, is the best example of Laing's fully normal person, "ontologically divided" and blissfully unaware of it." Juan Galis-Menendez

The students did the research themselves. Imagine that.
You would think a good teacher would correct their unfactual research though.

Again, why make something worse than it was? It serves no purpose but to pervert history.

How bad was it really? Do any of us really know?

I do, you know, I lived there.

Walking on the grass as an offense only in East Germany lol, there are easily more "Betreten Verboten ("No Entry!")" Signs in West Germany ;D
If you see East Germany as a Germany were 68 did not really happen, you may be about right.

You know, while I was in a in DDR-Jugendcamp (ye, I am not that young anymore), we had a similiar experiment concerning capitalism, which, according to our communist instructors, consisted of having to pay for everything, we then staged a "revolution", when they wanted us to pay for recently privatized air. That had roughly as much to do with capitalism as the OP example has with the DDR.

Again I don't think the intent was to accurately portray life in East Germany. That would have been beyond the reasonable capabilities of a public school teacher anyway don't you think?

The intent was to illustrate how an oppressive, colorless, and restrictive lifestyle must have felt to the East Germans who could look across the border and see a much better way of life afforded to the West Germans. I think the teacher did a great job.

Forum List

Back