What a brilliant history lesson!

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
"This was a project of the history club, and their idea was that students should really have an idea of what it was like to live in a communist state," said social studies teacher Patricia Johnston, who helped organize the project and served as the lead "comrade."

Students, with the help of a local landscaping company, erected a nearly 100-foot paper replica of the Berlin wall, complete with graffiti. It stood across the middle of the campus to mimic the concrete wall that separated communist East Germany from capitalist West Germany from 1961 to the end of 1989.

On the west side, students could walk around, socialize and behave as they normally do.

But on the east side, students could only walk on sidewalks, wear approved clothing (no hats, for instance) and had to behave in an orderly, controlled fashion.

Marine said some students protested the project, including setting up Facebook pages to rally the opposition. But Marine said the protests actually simulated similar efforts during the real German struggle and made the entire exercise more authentic.

Follow the rules, comrades ... or else | | HeraldTribune.com

Outstanding! :clap2:

But on the east side, students could only walk on sidewalks, wear approved clothing (no hats, for instance) and had to behave in an orderly, controlled fashion.

Sounds like life in a devout colony of pilgrims.

That is very cool. Very, very cool.

Agreed. My wife and I were just talking last night about how most of our students in college don't remember the Berlin Wall or the threat of the Communist Block. Something like this makes those events more real.

☭proletarian☭;2044938 said:
I wonder if they forced them to recite the Pledge?

Considering this was a reenactment of something happening in GERMANY, I doubt the pledge was involved Rav.

Considering this was a reenactment of something happening in GERMANY, I doubt the pledge was involved Rav.
I should have said a pledge...I guess you didn't understand my sarcasm.

And they did have to recite a pledge (or at least write it)

"They must come in, sit down and write this line on paper, front and back."The line: "I will serve the glorious East German state better."
:lol:

Sorry to burst you bubble, but, that professor just proved that he knew absolutely nothing about live in East Germany.
Only wearing approved clothing? You are aware that East Berlin had a fairly big Punk culture?

What do you think he should have done instead?

Force a few kids to grow spiked mohawks and walk around in studded leather halter tops?

brilliant cold-war style western propaganda!

I know! How the West can deny the superiority of the East Germans system is beyond comprehension! I have read many articles about people from the West desperately trying to get to the 'wonderland' of the Eastern Bloc.

Oh wait.... no, it was the other way around. Oops. My bad.

I know! How the West can deny the superiority of the East Germans system is beyond comprehension! I have read many articles about people from the West desperately trying to get to the 'wonderland' of the Eastern Bloc.

"technology is unnecessary and degrades intelligence"

:lol: That sounds more like something our rightwingloons would say.

:lol: That sounds more like something our rightwingloons would say.

exactly. what they did was maybe a kind of neat gimmick, maybe a social experiment. but not a history lesson. far from it.

it is propaganda, and not exactly clever propaganda.

Yes, I have a hard time believing that walking on the grass was an arrestable offense. Why make things worse than they were?

"This was a project of the history club, and their idea was that students should really have an idea of what it was like to live in a communist state," said social studies teacher Patricia Johnston, who helped organize the project and served as the lead "comrade."

Students, with the help of a local landscaping company, erected a nearly 100-foot paper replica of the Berlin wall, complete with graffiti. It stood across the middle of the campus to mimic the concrete wall that separated communist East Germany from capitalist West Germany from 1961 to the end of 1989.

On the west side, students could walk around, socialize and behave as they normally do.

Marine said some students protested the project, including setting up Facebook pages to rally the opposition. But Marine said the protests actually simulated similar efforts during the real German struggle and made the entire exercise more authentic.

Follow the rules, comrades ... or else | | HeraldTribune.com

Outstanding! :clap2:

I went through something similar in high school.

Yes, I have a hard time believing that walking on the grass was an arrestable offense. Why make things worse than they were?

I think it's the same mind-think that feels that plastic bags and trans-fatty acids should be outlawed. How about turning your lights on while the sea-turtles are spawning. Places in Florida prohibit that.

Now go ahead and neg-rep me for lying.

Forum List

Back