Whaddya Think?

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
Los Angeles Times
May 26, 2005

Marine Can't Wear Uniform At Graduation

From Times Staff and Wire Reports

A school board took no action in a dispute between a principal and the family of a graduate who wants to wear his Marine dress-blue uniform at commencement.

Steven Kiernan, 17, who already graduated and is on the verge of completing boot camp in San Diego, will have to wear the traditional cap and gown to walk with Petaluma High School's graduating class June 11.

The board did not override or uphold Principal Mike Simpson's decision because the item was not on the agenda, Supt. Greta Viguie said. The board is not scheduled to meet again until June 14.

CSM said:
Los Angeles Times
May 26, 2005

A school board took no action in a dispute between a principal and the family of a graduate who wants to wear his Marine dress-blue uniform at commencement.

Steven Kiernan, 17, who already graduated and is on the verge of completing boot camp in San Diego, will have to wear the traditional cap and gown to walk with Petaluma High School's graduating class June 11.

The board did not override or uphold Principal Mike Simpson's decision because the item was not on the agenda, Supt. Greta Viguie said. The board is not scheduled to meet again until June 14.
Lots of info missing....policy etc.
The first thing that pops out at me is "Steven Kiernan, 17, who already graduated....".
I can understand the kid being proud, but this is not a Marine event.
I would think there could be some sort of compromise here though.

What comes to mind is wearing
the robe over the blues until the end and then taking the robe off.

Mr. P said:
The first thing that pops out at me is "Steven Kiernan, 17, who already graduated....".

Kinda my thoughts as well. No recruit that I ever heard of asked to wear a cap and gown at their graduation from basic training ;)

CSM said:
Los Angeles Times
May 26, 2005

I am all for the military - I proudly support them.

In this case however, I am going to side with the school. If the school's policy for graduation is the traditional cap and gown, then he should wear that. I am not sure how many High Schools in the U.S. allow their students to wear something different, if there are any at all.

This is a traditional ceremony. I am big on tradition. Walking down the aisle in your cap and gown - that is a memory to hold. He can wear most of his unform under the cap and gown if he wants, then finish the uniform after graduation is over is he would like.

If he wants to wear his Dress Uniform after graduation, to the dinner, etc - then that is great.

I also would hate to see him allowed to do this, then later, someone else cites this instance as precedent for their desire to wear their Candy Striper outfit from the hospital, or a Boy Scout Uniform because he was an Eagle Scout, or.....

GotZoom said:
I am all for the military - I proudly support them.

In this case however, I am going to side with the school. If the school's policy for graduation is the traditional cap and gown, then he should wear that. I am not sure how many High Schools in the U.S. allow their students to wear something different, if there are any at all.

This is a traditional ceremony. I am big on tradition. Walking down the aisle in your cap and gown - that is a memory to hold.

If he wants to wear his Dress Uniform after graduation, to the dinner, etc - then that is great.

I also would hate to see him allowed to do this, then later, someone else cites this instance as precedent for their desire to wear their Candy Striper outfit from the hospital, or a Boy Scout Uniform because he was an Eagle Scout, or.....

Yep yep....I tend to agree....

Unless things have changed that drastically since I was in school, he's probably allowed to wear anything he likes *under* the gown, and is able to remove it as soon as the ceremony is over... Everyone gets the best of both worlds - so I don't see the problem.

Shattered said:
Unless things have changed that drastically since I was in school, he's probably allowed to wear anything he likes *under* the gown, and is able to remove it as soon as the ceremony is over... Everyone gets the best of both worlds - so I don't see the problem.
Me either, I am thinking this was a little story put out there to generate controversy...sort of a troll by the MSM...not that they would do that!

CSM said:
Me either, I am thinking this was a little story put out there to generate controversy...sort of a troll by the MSM...not that they would do that!

Not really news worthy...I'm sure he survived the trauma!...LOL

Mr. P said:

The question there would be would it compromise the uniform? If it's an indoor ceremony, what about wearing a cover while wearing the uniform? It may seem a little picky, but there are certain things that aren't considered proper while in uniform. I can't say it's ever come up before.

Forum List

Back