Whack-A-Bitch

Closing down a monument to our WW2 vets so they couldn't see it. Some might not live long enough to come back. That's okay with you? Obama went way out of his way to shut it down. But let illegals hold a rally. So tell me, do you hate our veterans that back too?

The Republicans shut down the government in 2013 (links helpfully provided in Care4all's post #11). Republicans controlled the house and the senate. Obama could not arbitrarily open the government. Despite the powers you want to grant Trump, the president is not king. When the government is shut down, only essential personnel go to work.

Of course, in the Trump admin, granting oil leases is essential...

the Interior Department is bringing back dozens of furloughed employees to work on selling oil and gas drilling leases in the Gulf of Mexico —
Why did Obama go out of his way to close a monument for our WW2 veterans?

He didn't go out of his way to do anything. He followed the rules. I realize Trump doesn't and you don't care. I can't help that.
Then why did he allow illegals use it for a rally?

AHA, finally found it.

"Under the same First Amendment rights that are allowing Honor Flight veterans and their families to visit the veterans memorials on the National Mall, other groups will be granted access to the park for First Amendment activities in accordance with National Park Service established regulations," Litterst said in a statement.
This is what the memorial to our vets.
memorial.jpg

Your deflection noticed.

Plus he gave nothing.... he stole a wallet so to say, and now is claiming that him giving the wallet he stole in the first place back is him negotiating.... such ebullient......

DACA existed, Trump took it away, and now is giving it back for only 3 years?? It is laughable.....

And refugees who had temporary protection status, which he jerked away, and is now giving it back claiming he's giving something? :lol:

This Art f the deal idiot is a Joker.

But most importantly, NO PRESIDENT should ever be able to shut the gvt down on a whim, as a tantrum to get what he wants.....

Can you imagine Obama saying he would shut the gvt down until all 11 million illegals were given citizenship???

For Christ sake, DACA wasn't a permanent fix, it was temporary. Do you fricken clowns know anything, or you just spew?
This Is Why President Obama Couldn't Make DACA Law
Of course I know that DACA was temporary protection for the children of illegals until congress could write a law to give a pathway to citizenship....

Well you sure didn't know it 20 minutes ago when you said it existed and Trump took it away.
He took the temp status away, but was sued for it, and a court gave it back Thinker....

For some reason you feel "temporary" means "permanent"?
DACA was and is temporary protection from being deported for children of illegals brought here when young who had lived in the USA for 5 years prior to 2013...

Obama wanted to give them a pathway to citizenship.... but he could not do the citizenship part, without a bill from congress. Another ruling from a court just extended that for 10 months so congress can do immigration reform.

For Christ sake, DACA wasn't a permanent fix, it was temporary. Do you fricken clowns know anything, or you just spew?
This Is Why President Obama Couldn't Make DACA Law
Of course I know that DACA was temporary protection for the children of illegals until congress could write a law to give a pathway to citizenship....

Well you sure didn't know it 20 minutes ago when you said it existed and Trump took it away.
He took the temp status away, but was sued for it, and a court gave it back Thinker....

DACA was and is temporary protection from being deported for children of illegals brought here when young who had lived in the USA for 5 years prior to 2013...

Obama wanted to give them a pathway to citizenship.... but he could not do the citizenship part, without a bill from congress. Another ruling from a court just extended that for 10 months so congress can do immigration reform.

So which part of "temporary" are you having difficulty with?

So which part of "temporary" are you having difficulty with?
none, since the courts ruled they can stay and keep their status... and Trump's appeal to the Supreme Court to hear the case and review what the previous appeals court ruled, got shot down...

so trump offered nothing on DACA that the courts had not already given to Daca....

wow! what a great negotiator the liar n chief is.... such a super duper compromise deal he's giving the Democrats in his offer... :rolleyes:

Trump needs to ignore the press, and do what he will do.

“There is nothing in the Constitution to indicate, nor is there any other basis for believing, that the President’s power to convene the Congress on extraordinary occasions depends upon the precise nature of the recess or the adjournment, that is, whether the adjournment is sine die, until a day certain, or until the majority leaders of the Congress find it in the public interest to reassemble the two houses,” [George T. - Deputy Solicitor General] Washington wrote in 1947.

CONFIRMED: Trump Doesn't Need Nancy's Permission to Convene Congress for the State of the Union - Big League Politics

When I clicked on the link to the article, the salient point of the article is another link. So I clicked on it and got this:

This site can’t be reached
users’s server IP address could not be found.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN""""""""

FAKE NEWS.

“There is nothing in the Constitution to indicate, nor is there any other basis for believing, that the President’s power to convene the Congress on extraordinary occasions depends upon the precise nature of the recess or the adjournment, that is, whether the adjournment is sine die, until a day certain, or until the majority leaders of the Congress find it in the public interest to reassemble the two houses,” [George T. - Deputy Solicitor General] Washington wrote in 1947.

CONFIRMED: Trump Doesn't Need Nancy's Permission to Convene Congress for the State of the Union - Big League Politics

When I clicked on the link to the article, the salient point of the article is another link. So I clicked on it and got this:

FAKE NEWS.

It works fine. Maybe you're banned.

FAKE NEWS.

yeah, me too.... I can't get in to the source link, that was in the article linked in the op either...

i got in to the op article link, but the highlighted link in the article about the topic was a dead link...

n
The President can give a state of the Union Address to the public if he still wants to, from the white House or his oval office, or simply via a letter written to congress etc....

It is only required by the constitution that he gives this update on our state of the union to Congress
Remember that when next, a Democrat President sits in that office.

He punished the veterans while letting illegals use the memorial. You gonna stick up for him for that?

Facts are facts whether you like it or not. Republicans were the cause of it.
Obama could've opened it right back up. Why didn't he?
No he couldn't...
Lol, so by your reasoning. Trump can't open goverment back up either?

He can because the House and Senate have passed the bills to re-open the Senate. All he had to do was sign them but he refused. So yes, TRUMP owns this shut down.
Did they have a veto-proof vote? If not, then you will just have to deal with the fact that EVERY President since the first one, has had the power to veto bills passed by the legislature in order to fulfill an item deemed important.

FAKE NEWS.

yeah, me too.... I can't get in to the source link, that was in the article linked in the op either...

i got in to the op article link, but the highlighted link in the article about the topic was a dead link...

Jeez, buy a real computer. Works fine for me. Here's the text -

There has been much adieu made about Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi’s disinviting President Donald J. Trump to give the State of the Union address on the floor of the House of Representatives.

But, just as Pelosi had no authority to use a military jet for her overseas vacation with a Congressional delegation Thursday after Trump cancelled her plane, she appears to have no power to stop him from convening the Congress for the State of the Union, especially given the emergency at the southern border.

The legal precedent lies in an opinion from the Deputy Solicitor General for President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, a man by the name of George T. Washington, who, from his post at the Department of Justice, told Congress that the president has the Constitutional authority to convene them even when they are adjourned, as they are now due to the partial government shutdown.

“There is nothing in the Constitution to indicate, nor is there any other basis for believing, that the President’s power to convene the Congress on extraordinary occasions depends upon the precise nature of the recess or the adjournment, that is, whether the adjournment is sine die, until a day certain, or until the majority leaders of the Congress find it in the public interest to reassemble the two houses,” Washington wrote in 1947.

Washington highlighted that the authority for the President to proceed as such exists especially during “extraordinary occasions.”

“The important factor would appear to be not the nature of the recess or adjournment but, rather, that the Congress is not in session and that an extraordinary occasion has arisen which requires that it be in session and that it convene, therefore, at a date earlier than it otherwise would,” he wrote. “It is beyond question that the two houses of the Congress do not have the power, even by statute, to defeat the constitutional power of the President, under Article II, Section 3, to convene the Congress on such an occasion.”

In this case, the “extraordinary occasion” is obvious: America’s porous southern border is costing American lives and crippling the lives of others via the dangerous drugs that pour into the country unfettered.

In a sane nation, one in which a political party wouldn’t be willing to sacrifice innocent lives or the well being of its citizenry simply to defy a political foe, such legal pretense – all to give a simple speech – might not be necessary. But since, in 2019, the Democratic Party is interested in playing games with America’s security and prosperity, perhaps they’ll need to be compelled to let Trump elucidate the full scope of the problem on a national stage.

If that is the road Pelosi and company want to take, Trump appears to have the legal authority squash them yet again – and he should.

Forum List

Back