WH ready to drop "public option"?

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by DamnYankee, Aug 16, 2009.

1. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441
    HHS secretary says a government alternative to private health insurance is not "essential element" of White House's health care overhaul. Full story

updated 1 hour, 24 minutes ago
    WASHINGTON - Bowing to Republican pressure, President Barack Obama's administration signaled on Sunday it is ready to abandon the idea of giving Americans the option of government-run insurance as part of a new U.S. health care system.
    White House ready to drop ‘public option’? - White House- msnbc.com

So, this means Obama isn't as tough as he tried to make himself out to be, right?

2. Liability

Liability Locked Account. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,063
    There's another thread commenting about this. It might be that the "concession" by the President is actually just a head-fake.

And the suggestion was also made by another Member here that perhaps what President Obama is "bowing to" (if it's not another Arab "King") is not so much to Republican pressure as it is to pressure from a wide segment of the American people.

If he gets Congress to drop such provisions from his current set of plans, he can get his foot into the door. Once he has achieved the lion's share of his agenda, he can take his time to "fine tune" it all, later, to achieve the other components of his efforts to socialize health care in America.

3. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441

Please refer back to the interview with Wolf Blitzer re. the prioritizing of his agenda prior to the election. When he "fine tunes" that, I'll listen.

4. Liability

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,063
    The man changes his mind on an almost daily basis. He is not at all concerned with consistency. "He is as constant as the norther star" are not words that will ever be said (at least not honestly) of President Obama.

He fine tunes everything. It's all a hustle.

5. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441
    No shit Sherlock. Tell me something I don't know.

6. Liability

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,063
    Did you know you are a crashing bore?

7. oreo

oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,150
    "President Barack Obama's administration signaled on Sunday it is ready to abandon the idea of giving Americans the option of government-run health insurance as part of his ambitious health care proposal.

Facing mounting opposition to the overhaul, administration officials left open the chance for a compromise with Republicans that would include health insurance cooperatives. Such a concession is likely to enrage his liberal supporters but could deliver Obama a much-needed win on a top domestic priority opposed by GOP lawmakers. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said that government alternative to private health insurance is "not the essential element" of the administration's health care overhaul.

The White House would be open to co-ops, she said, a sign that Democrats want a compromise so they can declare a victory on the showdown."I think there will be a competitor to private insurers," Sebelius said. "That's really the essential part, is you don't turn over the whole new marketplace to private insurance companies and trust them to do the right thing."

Obama's top spokesman refused to say a public option was a make-or-break choice for the administration.

"What I am saying is the bottom line for this for the president is, what we have to have is choice and competition in the insurance market," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_health_care_overhaul

What do liberals have against co-ops? In Grand Junction-CO where Obama gave his town hall meeting yesterday operates a very large privately run--not-for-profit medical insurance company called Rocky Mountain Health Systems.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  8. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441
    Actually, I'm an arrogant bitch. I would have thought someone would have warned you.

9. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441
    And the bottom line is "victory" for the WH, Obama and the elected Dems -- regardless of who wins or loses out in America.

10. Maple

Maple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +568
    I will tell you what the libs have against these co-ops, the libs are in it for control and control only, I don't beleive that they give a rat's ass about the availability or the cost of health care. They love great big government programs and love taking more of your hard earned money to pay for it. They are socilaists. They have an absolutely dismal record of managing anything well, that's why Americans from all sides of the aile are bailing on Obama care. I am hopeful that a good change in health care INSURANCE will come out of this as I believe that this reform is necessary. I am hopeful that Obama can get this done, but I don't beleive that he's worried about Republican votes as he has enough in his own party to push this through. He's worried about American votes and see's his poll numbers crashing on this.

Any reform needs to start with TORT reform to control costs, which he has stated he is against.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1