WH ready to drop "public option"?

DamnYankee

No Neg Policy
Apr 2, 2009
HHS secretary says a government alternative to private health insurance is not "essential element" of White House's health care overhaul. Full story

updated 1 hour, 24 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - Bowing to Republican pressure, President Barack Obama's administration signaled on Sunday it is ready to abandon the idea of giving Americans the option of government-run insurance as part of a new U.S. health care system.
White House ready to drop ‘public option’? - White House- msnbc.com

So, this means Obama isn't as tough as he tried to make himself out to be, right?

HHS secretary says a government alternative to private health insurance is not "essential element" of White House's health care overhaul. Full story

updated 1 hour, 24 minutes ago
WASHINGTON - Bowing to Republican pressure, President Barack Obama's administration signaled on Sunday it is ready to abandon the idea of giving Americans the option of government-run insurance as part of a new U.S. health care system.
White House ready to drop ‘public option’? - White House- msnbc.com

So, this means Obama isn't as tough as he tried to make himself out to be, right?

There's another thread commenting about this. It might be that the "concession" by the President is actually just a head-fake.

And the suggestion was also made by another Member here that perhaps what President Obama is "bowing to" (if it's not another Arab "King") is not so much to Republican pressure as it is to pressure from a wide segment of the American people.

If he gets Congress to drop such provisions from his current set of plans, he can get his foot into the door. Once he has achieved the lion's share of his agenda, he can take his time to "fine tune" it all, later, to achieve the other components of his efforts to socialize health care in America.

There's another thread commenting about this. It might be that the "concession" by the President is actually just a head-fake.

And the suggestion was also made by another Member here that perhaps what President Obama is "bowing to" (if it's not another Arab "King") is not so much to Republican pressure as it is to pressure from a wide segment of the American people.

If he gets Congress to drop such provisions from his current set of plans, he can get his foot into the door. Once he has achieved the lion's share of his agenda, he can take his time to "fine tune" it all, later, to achieve the other components of his efforts to socialize health care in America.

Please refer back to the interview with Wolf Blitzer re. the prioritizing of his agenda prior to the election. When he "fine tunes" that, I'll listen.

Please refer back to the interview with Wolf Blitzer re. the prioritizing of his agenda prior to the election. When he "fine tunes" that, I'll listen.

The man changes his mind on an almost daily basis. He is not at all concerned with consistency. "He is as constant as the norther star" are not words that will ever be said (at least not honestly) of President Obama.

He fine tunes everything. It's all a hustle.

The man changes his mind on an almost daily basis. He is not at all concerned with consistency. "He is as constant as the norther star" are not words that will ever be said (at least not honestly) of President Obama.

No shit Sherlock. Tell me something I don't know.

Did you know you are a crashing bore?

"President Barack Obama's administration signaled on Sunday it is ready to abandon the idea of giving Americans the option of government-run health insurance as part of his ambitious health care proposal.

Facing mounting opposition to the overhaul, administration officials left open the chance for a compromise with Republicans that would include health insurance cooperatives. Such a concession is likely to enrage his liberal supporters but could deliver Obama a much-needed win on a top domestic priority opposed by GOP lawmakers. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said that government alternative to private health insurance is "not the essential element" of the administration's health care overhaul.

The White House would be open to co-ops, she said, a sign that Democrats want a compromise so they can declare a victory on the showdown."I think there will be a competitor to private insurers," Sebelius said. "That's really the essential part, is you don't turn over the whole new marketplace to private insurance companies and trust them to do the right thing."

Obama's top spokesman refused to say a public option was a make-or-break choice for the administration.

"What I am saying is the bottom line for this for the president is, what we have to have is choice and competition in the insurance market," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_health_care_overhaul

What do liberals have against co-ops? In Grand Junction-CO where Obama gave his town hall meeting yesterday operates a very large privately run--not-for-profit medical insurance company called Rocky Mountain Health Systems.

Last edited:

Did you know you are a crashing bore?

Actually, I'm an arrogant bitch. I would have thought someone would have warned you.

"President Barack Obama's administration signaled on Sunday it is ready to abandon the idea of giving Americans the option of government-run health insurance as part of his ambitious health care proposal.

Facing mounting opposition to the overhaul, administration officials left open the chance for a compromise with Republicans that would include health insurance cooperatives. Such a concession is likely to enrage his liberal supporters but could deliver Obama a much-needed win on a top domestic priority opposed by GOP lawmakers. Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said that government alternative to private health insurance is "not the essential element" of the administration's health care overhaul.

The White House would be open to co-ops, she said, a sign that Democrats want a compromise so they can declare a victory on the showdown."I think there will be a competitor to private insurers," Sebelius said. "That's really the essential part, is you don't turn over the whole new marketplace to private insurance companies and trust them to do the right thing."

Obama's top spokesman refused to say a public option was a make-or-break choice for the administration.

"What I am saying is the bottom line for this for the president is, what we have to have is choice and competition in the insurance market," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said."

White House appears ready to drop 'public option' - Yahoo! News

What do liberals have against co-ops? In Grand Junction-CO where Obama gave his town hall meeting yesterday operates a very large privately run--not-for-profit medical insurance company called Rocky Mountain Health Systems.

The White House would be open to co-ops, she said, a sign that Democrats want a compromise so they can declare a victory on the showdown.

And the bottom line is "victory" for the WH, Obama and the elected Dems -- regardless of who wins or loses out in America.

I will tell you what the libs have against these co-ops, the libs are in it for control and control only, I don't beleive that they give a rat's ass about the availability or the cost of health care. They love great big government programs and love taking more of your hard earned money to pay for it. They are socilaists. They have an absolutely dismal record of managing anything well, that's why Americans from all sides of the aile are bailing on Obama care. I am hopeful that a good change in health care INSURANCE will come out of this as I believe that this reform is necessary. I am hopeful that Obama can get this done, but I don't beleive that he's worried about Republican votes as he has enough in his own party to push this through. He's worried about American votes and see's his poll numbers crashing on this.

Any reform needs to start with TORT reform to control costs, which he has stated he is against.

Why drop the public option? I want it. I'd rather have single-payer, but I was hoping once the public option is in place, and consumers see how much more choice and affordability it offers compared to private insurers, then we would get single-payer by default, or at least a much larger public plan.

Non-profits Co-ops are great, but anyone who knows anything about economies of scale knows that the higher the order you place, the lower the individual price you can negotiate for. One insurance policy for all Americans would be far cheaper than hundreds of little plans throughout the country... some failing, some thriving. If the public plan is good enough for our troops, our postal workers, and our Senators, why wouldn't it be good enough for the rest of us?

Last edited:
Why drop the public option? I want it. I'd rather have single-payer, but I was hoping once the public option is in place, and consumers see how much more choice and affordability it offers compared to private insurers, then we would get single-payer by default, or at least a much larger public plan.

Non-profits Co-ops are great, but anyone who knows anything about economies of scale knows that the higher the order you place, the lower the individual price you can negotiate for. One insurance policy for all Americans would be far cheaper than hundreds of little plans throughout the country... some failing, some thriving. If the public plan is good enough for our troops, our postal workers, and our Senators, why wouldn't it be good enough for the rest of us?

Exactly.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

In the history of this country, what function has daddy gubmint ever performed or provided efficiently and with affordability?

I believe Obama will end up settling for "insurance reform", which means he'll force the "risk managers" i.e., insurance companies, to increase risks and start losing money. Then the government will subsidize, and finally step in to run the companies. THEN you'll have single payer socialized medicine, which is what Obama wants.

This is just a head fake so he can go the other way.

I believe Obama will end up settling for "insurance reform", which means he'll force the "risk managers" i.e., insurance companies, to increase risks and start losing money. Then the government will subsidize, and finally step in to run the companies. THEN you'll have single payer socialized medicine, which is what Obama wants.

This is just a head fake so he can go the other way.
I hope you're right.

You know... it's kind of funny. The right yells and screams that "the people" want to be heard... disrupt town hall meetings, screech at the top of their lungs... and, assuming you're correct, then Congress (which writes legislation... not the president) may actually be listening to you in this one area....

and the right bitches and moans about that and sees it as a sign of weakness....

gotta love it.

i always said he should ignore y'all... you're not voting for him anyway, and no good comes from listening to people who want you to "fail".

btw...this is like the third thread today on this subject.

Last edited:

You know... it's kind of funny. The right yells and screams that "the people" want to be heard... disrupt town hall meetings, screech at the top of their lungs... and, assuming you're correct, then Congress (which writes legislation... not the president) may actually be listening to you in this one area....

and the right bitches and moans about that and sees it as a sign of weakness....

gotta love it.

i always said he should ignore y'all... you're not voting for him anyway, and no good comes from listening to people who want you to "fail".

If I believed in social medicine, I wouldn't let anyone stop me from implementing it, particularly if the republicans have no power.

gotta love it.

btw...this is like the third thread today on this subject.

What's "funny" Jillian, is that his "base" supporters (those far left-wingers) are the ones most upset with him, or did you conveniently skip over that in all the threads on this subject? You know... The ones that voted for him anyway, despite the fact that he slapped them in the face? No good comes from listening to those who got you the nomination either, right? (ooops, left....)

Forum List

Back