WH Hails Economic Gains But Poll Finds Few Concur

Listening

Gold Member
Aug 27, 2011
President Obama and his White House team wrapped a bow around 2014 on Thursday, celebrating what they called a “milestone year” of economic revival in which more than 2 million jobs were added as manufacturing surged.

Simultaneously, a bipartisan duo of public opinion experts unveiled a new poll that underscored how few Americans are experiencing that renewal, or trust that recovery is here to stay, especially if they identify with the middle class.

Read more: WH Hails Economic Gains But Poll Finds Few Concur RealClearPolitics
Follow us: @RCP_Articles on Twitter

You can sift through the article for the details (or wait for me to post various snippits).

One one hand, you have the White House claiming all kinds of good news. On the other, people are not feeling it.

There seems to be a disconnect.

What do you think ?

That has been the irony of his whole economic policy the ones who he and the Democratic party rant the most against the 1% and Wall Street types are the ones who have prospered the most under his administration while the people he claims to champion the poor and middle class have either stayed stuck in place or lost ground.

That has been the irony of his whole economic policy the ones who he and the Democratic party rant the most against the 1% and Wall Street types are the ones who have prospered the most under his administration while the people he claims to champion the poor and middle class have either stayed stuck in place or lost ground.
Guess we should go back to taxing their asses off, since they aren't being "job creators" as promised. At least that way something would be done about the deficit.

What's worse, to me, is the lack of leadership that would help turn that around.

Instead, we are going to ask the remaining to pay for a stupid health care system that is part of the band aid to clean up the messes they keep creating.

Guess we should go back to taxing their asses off, since they aren't being "job creators" as promised. At least that way something would be done about the deficit.

This is what's so funny.

Did they not help create 11 million jobs as Obama touts or not ?

Which is it ?

Labor Secretary Tom Perez (pictured), also on the call with reporters, emphasized his department’s enthusiasm for job training and apprenticeships that lead to what he called “a meaningful pathway to the middle class.”

That message -- attention to lower-income workers and those with less education and training -- is in the Democratic Party’s DNA, but it is not reassuring to the majority of Americans who thought they were well along a middle-class pathway but got thrown into a ditch, the poll results suggest.

What in the governments history makes you think they would use the money from the higher taxes to do that? It does not matter which party is in charge of which part of the government it does not have a winning track record when it comes to spending money wisely.

What in the governments history makes you think they would use the money from the higher taxes to do that? It does not matter which party is in charge of which part of the government it does not have a winning track record when it comes to spending money wisely.

I will never forget Debbie Wasserman Schultz in an interview when she was asked if she got her way
and taxes were raised on the wealthy what would she do with the added revenue.She could not respond
fast enough to all the things she would spend the money on.And not one penny to pay down the debt....

Liberals....tax and spend.

I will never forget Debbie Wasserman Schultz in an interview when she was asked if she got her way
and taxes were raised on the wealthy what would she do with the added revenue.She could not respond
fast enough to all the things she would spend the money on.And not one penny to pay down the debt....

Liberals....tax and spend.

Does anyone know if a table or spreadsheet that demonstrates how our debt could be paid off ?

I am still very curious to know if the disconnect in the OP is economic or political ?

Most people I know are doing better. They think that is the case in spite of Obama.

Nevertheless, job creation is up...or is it job recreation ?

While I agree that he is a pretty big liar...what I am not sure is...where is the lie here ?

Job creation is a pretty straightfoward number.

Is this because we lost a bunch of jobs and we are just now getting them back.....?

If so, then it seems the WH should shut up and work harder.

The other issues is the disconnect. How can we being seeing job growth and yet people feel so bad.

The article in the OP addresses some of that.

The dems think it is a communication issue. I don't buy that. They were pretty smart in 2012. They have the horsepower. I have to wonder if they simply don't have a very good tale to tell.

When a President, his party, and his followers paint business and producers as villains, they will have to deal with the fact that they're not going to get a ton of credit for economic improvements, whether they deserve it or not.

When you say things like "you didn't build that", you have to remember that you're speaking to more than your base.

Other people hear that, too.

From the article:

“Republicans have been winning a majority of the middle class for years,” Goeas, of The Tarrance Group, said while describing the results of the Battleground Poll. “We may not talk middle class as much as Democrats do, but we are winning the middle class.”

Nearly three-quarters of Americans think of themselves as fitting that category, but they worry that the Washington policies and benefits Obama and his party embrace don’t benefit them, because the help is geared toward those on the lower rungs of the ladder.

“The voters in the middle class that the Democrats have sometimes gotten, and sometimes not, is the lower end of the middle class, and the problem with that group of voters is that the middle class is not disappearing, they’re just not moving forward,” Goeas said.

Those voters agree that the rich are getting richer, but “they also believe that the lower income and the poor get all the benefits of the government programs; they think they’re the ones paying for the lower income, not the rich,” the Republican pollster added.

Which is what will make the 2016 elections very interesting.

Obama was elected by a glassy eyed middle-class. A lot of independents who saw him as a break from the "norm".

Well, he's been anything but that. He's a Washington moron on steroids.

I hope the GOP is gearing up to go after the indies. This article points out huge opportunities.

My question is why would the middle class feel that way. Is it really about the goodies ?

When a President, his party, and his followers paint business and producers as villains, they will have to deal with the fact that they're not going to get a ton of credit for economic improvements, whether they deserve it or not.

When you say things like "you didn't build that", you have to remember that you're speaking to more than your base.

Other people hear that, too.

You brought up something I was thinking about a long time ago.

The GOP needs to get Hillary to agree to repudiate that statement.

If they can hang that on her and the democratic party, they've got one more solid path to the WH.

I am still very curious to know if the disconnect in the OP is economic or political ?

Most people I know are doing better. They think that is the case in spite of Obama.

The problem is job creation might be up but wages are still stagnant if your paycheck is not increasing the economy still looks bad to you.

The problem is job creation might be up but wages are still stagnant if your paycheck is not increasing the economy still looks bad to you.

I had expected to see someone post something about part time jobs.

Seems that always goes into the discussion.

I know people in some parts of the country where things are very good.

I also know people who are struggling in other parts of the country.

I've always rebelled at the idea of a single "economy" for the U.S.

We have multiple economies.

I had expected to see someone post something about part time jobs.

Seems that always goes into the discussion.

I know people in some parts of the country where things are very good.

I also know people who are struggling in other parts of the country.

I've always rebelled at the idea of a single "economy" for the U.S.

We have multiple economies.
True parts of the country where manufacturing is big are probably starting to do better but now that gas prices are falling energy producing states are likely going to fall back .

Forum List

Back