Western Washington Univ. shuts down over anonymous hate speech at Yik Yak

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
Most likely it's another hate hoax but even if legit, who cares?

WWU president explains response to racist threats in campus email

nov 28 2015 Western Washington University’s (WWU) president sent a 2,685-word email to the school community Friday night explaining why he canceled classes this week following racist threats posted on social media.

In the email, also posted on the university’s site, President Bruce Shepard offered a timeline for how he dealt with the hate speech posted on the anonymous social-media phone application Yik Yak.

The letter comes two days after a packed news conference in Bellingham, where student and community activistsexpressed disappointment in the president’s actions after the threats surfaced. Among other things, they say he should have sent out a campuswide alert.

The crude comments and racially charged threats reportedly were to all students of color, though many messages threatened specific students. According to Shepard’s email, the students included WWU student government President Belina Seare and student Vice President for Diversity Abby Ramos.

Last edited:
University presidents should stop cancelling classes for this. It will just increase the nonsense so they have more time to study for tests.

Lincoln had the right idea. Send all blacks back to africa.
I think James Monroe was the first president who wanted to do that. I believe it was the recolonization act.

He actually sent many to Liberia. Hence their capital is named Monrovia today.

Only capital in a foreign country that is named after a US President.

Imagine this country if there would have never been African slaves brought here. Just imagine.

• Banned
I think James Monroe was the first president who wanted to do that. I believe it was the recolonization act.
Imagine this country if there would have never been African slaves brought here. Just imagine.

And the liberia experiment failed - mainly because of racism!! The american blacks who went there looked down on the african blacks since they had less education and blacker skin.

Lincoln had the right idea. Send all blacks back to africa.

Very few went back to Liberia. They knew a good thing when they saw it.

• Banned
[
Very few went back to Liberia. They knew a good thing when they saw it.

Of course. They knew living in a shack in america was better than a cave in africa. Africa has always been in the stone age. True then and true now.

If my recollection of history is correct, the newly liberated blacks returned to Libya and enslaved the native blacks there...

I am not surprised this is another hoax. These schools should check them out, but not to the extent where every perceived threat causes the school to be shut down...
This seems to be the new version of "swatting".....where false claims of emergencies were made anonymously in order to have police dispatched en masse to a crime scene which is not a crime scene at all.

Another case of "create a crisis" by social media? There is no defense unless the university is willing to prosecute the idiots.

Forum List

Back