Western Ski Areas

Well Glock, perhaps you should find a new winter sport to pursue. After all in a few years there will be no downhill skiing, global warming you know. :D

Exactly as I'm starting to figure out. Plus, with the severe camber you have to have your skis nearly duct-taped together parallel to keep them flat. In order to widen your stance you have to keep your knees bent, butt down. Otherwise you're on your inside edges and your skis are trying to cross each other. I no longer have the option to use a wider, lazy stance for coasting through blue and green areas or traversing.

I usually use the ice skating effect when doing that. It gives your body rest and is not so rigid.

I usually use the ice skating effect when doing that. It gives your body rest and is not so rigid.
I went to a three day "ski camp" back in December and they taught us the "gorilla" technique, wide stance, quiet upper body, hands forward and chest high, weight forward and mostly on outside ski, poles never touch the ground. It really takes advatage of the "shape" skis and race-type boots. On the flats we "skate" with a series of turns and actually cruise past someone in a "tuck". Lowered my handicap by 5 points.

Everything has changed in skiing since the 70's. Now when I want to slow down I revert back to "Parallel", big pole plants, even weight distribution and lean back.

Forum List

Back